"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them.

seekeroftruth

Matthew 15:1 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’”
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”
15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

Yesterday the FBI is reported to have paid a visit to the home of one of our past presidents. There will be people who will be angry about this.... and there will be people who are delighted. That's kind of the way it was back in the days of Jesus and Herod. There was the established religion and government. Nothing else could be considered proper. If the law said wash your hands.... you had to wash your hands... or pay the price for sinning.

Jesus didn't follow their old laws.... He was different. Jesus, of course, was neither a capitalist, nor a republican. Jesus was just that guy who drew large crowds and talked about love and sharing.

The Pharisees were there to make sure everyone did as God told them to do. Everyone was required to pay a temple tax and offer a sacrifice before going into the Temple. There were laws about civility. God gave the humans Ten Commandments that the Pharisees and Sadducees turned into hundreds of petty little laws. The laws God gave us were for the sake of civility. Jesus was here to teach everyone real civility is based on Love and Sharing.

During the recent pandemic, people fought over wearing a mask. Back in the days of the Pharisees.... they fought over washing their hands and pooping in a secure area outside of town. Things got a little laxer a few hundred years later, in the days of the Church of England, people tossed the contents of their piss pots out the window. Jesus was in trouble because His disciples didn't wash their hands before eating.

We think we're so smart.

What would Jesus say to us now?

Matthew 15: 16 "Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them.

:coffee:

PJay

The man upstairs loves what Trump has done and what he is going to do. The majority of people do too.👍

If you ever watch a rally people tell him they love him. Trump's reply:"I love you too!"

He loves this country and the people. God knows.

seekeroftruth

The man upstairs loves what Trump has done and what he is going to do. The majority of people do too.👍

If you ever watch a rally people tell him they love him. Trump's reply:"I love you too!"

He loves this country and the people. God knows.
Yep... have you seen the Book of Revelation?

seekeroftruth

In the Book of Revelation... it describes the world in turmoil... politics are all screwed up, pandemics, earthquakes, everything is a chore in life.... that's what I think is going on now.... and your rearing politics in a religion forum... well that's just part of it...

seekeroftruth

I simply asked you a question about your comment in your post #3.
Which I answered in post #10... since it was requested again.

The world is a mess.... that's what I was getting at.

The world is a mess... and that's what will happen [again?] before End Times sets things right.

rstrats

Which I answered in post #10... since it was requested again.

The world is a mess.... that's what I was getting at.

The world is a mess... and that's what will happen [again?] before End Times sets things right.

I don't see how your answer is applicable to PJay's comment. I wonder if you might explain why you think that it is?

seekeroftruth

I don't see how your answer is applicable to PJay's comment. I wonder if you might explain why you think that it is?
I'm 73 years old.... I think the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Look at what we are doing to the children. If we're not killing them in the womb, we're shooting them in the schools, and if we don't get them there... we abuse them in church... physically... and when we find out what's going on in church... we just move the priest to a new hunting ground.

It has to be near.... no one as mean as Trump, Putin, and yep... even Biden.... has been showing their bad side as blatantly as we have now. They, in my opinion, are worse that Hitler and his gang... because now... Everyone has social media and they can see what is going on... and they allow it... If no one is going to disarm the crazies... How much longer can we go on?

Jesus has got to be packing His Armor. The horsemen have got to be getting their steeds ready for the ride. Nuclear weapons are armed... The FBI is raiding ex-presidents.... humans are running amuck....

How much longer???? That's what I mean.... The world is nasty and I think God is going to send Jesus one more time to clean it up.

I just went back and read my first post..... This is about how wicked Herod was. This is also about how hung up on old traditions humans were.

IF WE WERE BUSY FEEDING, HEALING, AND LOVING OTHERS WE WOULDN'T HAVE TIME OR INCLINATION FOR SUCH FOOLISHNESS!!!

JESUS SAID "LOVE ONE ANOTHER". WE ARE SO DULL WE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT "LOVE" IS THE ANSWER... NOT MONEY.. GUNS... OR LAWYERS... NOT PREACHERS OR PRIESTS OR PHARISEES.... LOVE.

No... I don't like Trump... He's a great example of what we have all become... right? Oh wait... "Are you dull?"! Don't you see how bad things are? All we need is Love.... you'll get it... or you won't....

Last edited:

SamSpade

I'm 73 years old.... I think the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
By my reading of history - it ALWAYS is. If it isn't civilization collapsing to barbarians, plagues wiping out half of humanity, revolutions and wars by the score, bloody conquerors and dictators, a war to end all wars, ANOTHER war to end all wars - weapons emerging daily that can erase humanity. Generation after generation that no longer has regard for morality or even decency -

And a deep dive into history at any time reveals this. It's always at the brink.

One of the subtle parts of this story is something Jesus taught, and that people clearly missed for thousands of years prior - and hence. And that is, you will be held accountable for your own actions. NOT those of your ancestors, not those of your progeny. Not how you keep a dietary rule or any of a host of rituals or practices none of which make you righteous. You will be righteous by your own deeds and nothing else. You will stand before God and all of humanity waiting in judgment and account for every word you have said, and every action you have done.

AND THE ONLY THING you have going is, when you are clearly, unequivocally guity and deserve your sentence - Jesus will intervene - your "advocate" as the Bible says - and declare that you're covered, under grace. EVERY THING YOU HAVE EVER SAID AND DONE will be revealed to all of humanity for all time, in front of God, so that there's no mistake - you deserve condemnation. And Jesus will take the blame for you.