Area Rugs

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm looking at picking up a couple of area rugs for various areas around the house, and have in mind what I want, but I don't know what it is (material/construction). One of our doctors' offices has these nice thick/plush area rugs scattered around, and last week, I went around looking at the underneath to try and find out what the material was, and the only one I saw that was labeled was "decolan". What is "decolan"?

I want the nice, thick, plush kind that are soft on the feet. There are a couple of different styles I'm looking at, but that's the "feel" I want. While I understand that wool is supposedly the most durable, I'm not sure I want fuzzy-rugs. Or do wool rugs come in that soft/plushy feel too?

Anyone else have area rugs around their house and know much about the different processes (hand-tufted, hand-hooked, etc), as well as the different materials?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
The material used refers to the threads used. The pile is determined by how the rug is manufactured. So you can have a rug with a "plush" feel, that is still made out of wool. Wool is the best, but also among the most expensive.

crabcake

Yea, but it seems the wool ones are typical "wooly" ... itchy/scratchy. Or is it just the couple that I've seen?

Also, what's "Emerlen"? I'm browsing through the selection on overstock.com, and there are several that I like. I keep sticking the ones that appeal to me in my shopping cart so I can look over them all at once and decide. :tap:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Yea, but it seems the wool ones are typical "wooly" ... itchy/scratchy. Or is it just the couple that I've seen?

Also, what's "Emerlen"? I'm browsing through the selection on overstock.com, and there are several that I like. I keep sticking the ones that appeal to me in my shopping cart so I can look over them all at once and decide. :tap:
If you don't have to have wool, I'd say skip it, or at least get a synthetic blend. Wool isn't going to be as durable as a man-made fiber, and it's going to be considerably less bang for your buck.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
If you want a crash course in everything that is carpet, let me know and I'll pm you what I have. And no lesbian jokes Mikey! :smack:

crabcake

Nickel said:
If you want a crash course in everything that is carpet, let me know and I'll pm you what I have. And no lesbian jokes Mikey! :smack:

Send it on, g/f. :kiss:

I've been scouring for websites that offer more detail, pictures, info, and can't seem to find something that is giving me what I'm looking for as far as info. :shrug:

Mikeinsmd

Nickel said:
:killingme Dang girl!!

Hey, I learned you can also get padding for under these rugs. And they (rugs) aint cheap!! :faint:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Send it on, g/f. :kiss:

I've been scouring for websites that offer more detail, pictures, info, and can't seem to find something that is giving me what I'm looking for as far as info. :shrug:
Sent. :yay: That should keep ya busy for awhile. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Mikeinsmd said:
Hey, I learned you can also get padding for under these rugs. And they (rugs) aint cheap!! :faint:
You certainly can. And rugs aren't relatively cheap, but you don't want a crappy rug, because it's not going to last as long. You wouldn't buy cheapy carpet, would you? Also, if you want a solid colored rug, you can always buy carpet remnants. :yay: I think CC is probably going for a patterned carpet though.

crabcake

Nickel said:
I think CC is probably going for a patterned carpet though.

Yes, I'm looking at several patterns ... from oriental to country/classic, depending on the room. But I want a simliar feel/make to them so that when they transition from room to room, there is some "consistency" to the flow. Does that make sense? I don't want a flokati in one area, a herati in another, and a jute in the breakfast room. :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
Yes, I'm looking at several patterns ... from oriental to country/classic, depending on the room. But I want a simliar feel/make to them so that when they transition from room to room, there is some "consistency" to the flow. Does that make sense? I don't want a flokati in one area, a herati in another, and a jute in the breakfast room. :lol:
Persian is always the best lay...

Cletus_Vandam

Have you looked at Lowes or Home Depot? They have a selection of wool and other rugs.

This might be better than looking at pictures on line. At least this way you get to see if they give you the feel you're looking for.

We bought a wool rug from Home Depot about six years ago. Still holding up well and I managed to clean up with a quick run over with our carpet cleaner.

crabcake

Cletus_Vandam said:
Have you looked at Lowes or Home Depot? They have a selection of wool and other rugs.

I've looked at both places, but they don't have anything that really grabs me in terms of patterns.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Nickel said:
Sent. :yay: That should keep ya busy for awhile. :lol:
I'd be interested in the information, as well. We're getting ready to replace all the carpeting in the house with wood. I'd like to get a nice, big area rug for the bedroom, and probably one for the living & dining rooms, too.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I know alot of you have wood floors. Are these real wood or laminate. Has anyone found a machine to clean a laminate floor without ruining it?

Thanks

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
sanchezf said:
I know alot of you have wood floors. Are these real wood or laminate. Has anyone found a machine to clean a laminate floor without ruining it?

Thanks
Right now we have Pergo in the front foyer. I sweep the dust and debris that collect during the day, then go over it with the Swiffer. No problems.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Chasey_Lane said:
Right now we have Pergo in the front foyer. I sweep the dust and debris that collect during the day, then go over it with the Swiffer. No problems.

Thanks

crabcake

sanchezf said:

Thanks

I have real wood, and I prefer it to laminate-type floors for a bunch of reasons ... I don't trust the "durability" of laminate in terms of scratches. If you DO get a scratch, you have to rip out that entire section to replace one tile whereas w/true wood, you can repair that one area easily w/o having to replace any slats. Also, the feel of laminate flooring under your feet vs. true wood is entirely different. Personally, I don't care for it. I don't know how to describe it except to say it feels "hollow".

It's a matter of personal preference though. :shrug: