Arthritis Help

I have an 18yo TWH x of some sort...who is VERY sore in front (think shoulders, not feet). Makes him look a bit ridiculous when he's walking. I haven't had him for very long, so I don't know his history - I just want to make him more comfortable. Any tried and true advice before i (*gulp*) splurge on Adequan or something of the sort?

devinej

hiya

my mom keeps her old guys on SeniorFlex from MVP (i think) and aspir-ease (might be farnam?). not sure if that's spelled right, anyway its like a horsie aspirin supplement. and her geriatric herd seems to do pretty well. a couple 23 yo and a 34 yo. have also used plain old corta-flx (not HA) and it has done wonders for old lesson horses.

S

saddlesore

What makes you think it's arthritis, specifically, rather than an injury? Just curious.
I have my old guy on the GLC 5500 for his joints, and the vet suggested bute for those rainy days when he's extra ouchy.

How about a little massage therapy as well?

Loper

Animal Poor!
foxxynhounds said:
I have an 18yo TWH x of some sort...who is VERY sore in front (think shoulders, not feet). Makes him look a bit ridiculous when he's walking. I haven't had him for very long, so I don't know his history - I just want to make him more comfortable. Any tried and true advice before i (*gulp*) splurge on Adequan or something of the sort?

The 28yo we take care of gets a scoop of corta-flx and a scoop of aspirin powder in his pm feedings, seems to do him good. If you haven't had him long, I would make sure it is arthritis first though. :howdy:

covekat

I would suggest getting a chiro or vet look at him first... it's rare to have a horse with arthritic shoulders... not saying that he cant be sore in his shoulder area.. but usually that is associated with something else going on. A horse that does have sore feet will look like he's sore up in his shoulders.. have you put hoof testers on him?

S

saddlesore

covekat said:
I would suggest getting a chiro or vet look at him first... it's rare to have a horse with arthritic shoulders... not saying that he cant be sore in his shoulder area.. but usually that is associated with something else going on. A horse that does have sore feet will look like he's sore up in his shoulders.. have you put hoof testers on him?

True, that. And it could be something as simple as bursitis. I'd get the vet out first, then the chiro. Good luck, hope all turns out well. Let us know what you find out.

Had the farrier out, he's not sore in his feet. The left front is a little clubby; farrier seems to think it's slightly navicular-ized (said that is common with club feet) and may have caused long-term damage to the shoulder because its upright. Vet seems to think the same. While I have not had any x-rays done, flexion tests show him to be gimpy, but he is not at all sore to the touch. Vet & farrier agree on arthritis; vet recommends Adequan.

While I know that a lot of people swear by oral supplements, 1) I'm very aware that they are just that - supplements and 2) this horse doesn't need any grain to stay fat & happy, so I don't want to have to feed him once or twice daily just for the benefit of an oral supplement that I'm not sure will work anyway!

So, I think the last step is chiro - but I've never had that done & wouldn't know how to find one. Anyone have recommendations? If so, please PM me - and remember, I'm not looking for anything more than pasture sound :). I just hate to see the old guy so darn gimpy!

covekat

Glad you got a good diagnosis... Adequan is good stuff... not cheap, but worth it. I would go with the Adequan first, and see if it helps, then add the chiro if it doesnt. I know a very good one, but you have to haul to her, and it's about 1 1/2 hours. I think that our vet does Chiro... you might want to check... we have never used her for that though... Dr. Molesworth....

S

saddlesore

That's fantastic you got a diagnosis.

I hear what you're saying about not feeding grain just to give an oral supplement. As Covecat said, Adequan is good stuff. What a wonderful thing you're doing to keep your guy comfortable as a retiree. I know that with some conditions you can begin with a regimen of the Adequan, then gradually taper it off. A really good chiro and masseuse could also help. You could have the massage therapist teach you a routine to do on your own.

Since I'm new to the area, I don't have any recommendations, but you could google equine chiros and see what names come up. Also try Rec Eq for suggestions, as a lot of people on there are in the MD/VA area.

Good luck! There will surely be a place for you in horsey heaven ;-P