Arthur's teacher has gay wedding

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
Staff member
PREMO Member
You know Arthur - cartoon aardvark? Kids show? Anyway, his teacher has come out as gay and had a same-sex wedding. I don't really care about this because I'm not scandalized or titillated by same-sex couples. The takeaway for me is that Arthur's teacher's new husband owns a chocolate shop. And that joke just writes itself.

Chris0nllyn

Alabama Public Television chose not to air PBS’s Arthur episode that included a same-sex marriage.
“Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire,” Mckenzie said in an email. “More importantly – although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards – parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision. We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for Arthur also watch the program.”
https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabama-public-television-refuses-to-air-arthur-episode-with-gay-wedding.html

SailorGirl

You know Arthur - cartoon aardvark? Kids show? Anyway, his teacher has come out as gay and had a same-sex wedding. I don't really care about this because I'm not scandalized or titillated by same-sex couples. The takeaway for me is that Arthur's teacher's new husband owns a chocolate shop. And that joke just writes itself.

Mr. Ratburn! I didn't know Marc Brown was still doing new shows - no longer get PBS. He handles all kinds of topics in his stories, bullying, little sisters, big brothers, new babies, cancer, winning, losing, people that are rich, people who are not so well off, good sportsmanship, bad sportsmanship, Christmas, Hanukkah. I'm not at all surprised he touched on alternate lifestyles. I bet Arthur's dad catered it. I'll have to watch.

SailorGirl

So I just got done watching - it was a lovely episode! Arthur and his friends saw Mr. Ratburn in the ice cream shop with a female rat with hair like Donald Trump (I kid you not). They overhear the conversation, immediately don't like the female rat, and decide to see if they can get him together with the librarian. Their first course of action is to buy chocolates where they meet the owner who is very nice. They then write a love poem, sign it from Mr. Ratburn, and present it to the librarian who corrects it and returns it (made me giggle). The entire class goes to the wedding still thinking he's marrying the female rat who turns out to be his sister. They then see Mr. Ratburn and the man who owns the chocolate shop walking down the aisle and that's pretty much the entire episode except for the two rats dancing together badly in their opinion.

So much ado about nothing. It's the normal Marc Brown stuff - dealing with situations that kids are bound to know happen nowadays.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
Staff member
PREMO Member
So much ado about nothing. It's the normal Marc Brown stuff - dealing with situations that kids are bound to know happen nowadays.
If it were me, I wouldn't have made Mr. Ratburn's husband a fudge...uh, I mean , chocolate shop owner. That's a little more obvious than necessary.

SailorGirl

If it were me, I wouldn't have made Mr. Ratburn's husband a fudge...uh, I mean , chocolate shop owner. That's a little more obvious than necessary.
I can't imagine that Marc Brown gave that any thought - I didn't think that until I read it here - but it's small town with an ice cream shop, - gawd - I don't even think I've ever seen any other shops in that town - but a candy store would fit right into the theme. Maybe a candy shop owner would have been better...it really was a nice episode though - the gayness was really no more than a fleeting glance.

It was great to have him here, but trying. At 93, he's doing pretty well, but has a lot of trouble with mobility. It was a real challenge getting him thru the airport and on to his plane yesterday.

But we had a good time here and at my brother's place in NC. Thanx for asking.