Artichoke

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Get those veggie steamer bags - takes like 5 minutes in the microwave. I dip mine in salt or soy sauce.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I grew up eating them in California. We had them all the time. I just dip them in mayo. I love artichokes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cowgirl, to more thoroughly answer you question:

Cut the stem down to just a nub and trim the prickles off the leaf ends with scissors.

Cook according to previous instructions. You can also cut them lengthwise and grill them. :yum:

Pull the leaves off the artichoke and scrape the pulp at the end with your teeth.

When you're down to the fuzzy stuff, scrape that off the artichoke heart and eat the heart. <-- this is the best part.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Get those veggie steamer bags - takes like 5 minutes in the microwave. I dip mine in salt or soy sauce.

I didn't know you could do that. Now when I have a craving, I can have one really quick, like at work. This is great news!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I :heart: you, too. Don't you love it when you bring one up to the cashier and they say "What is this?" Duh. I always remind them to be careful about the sharp edges.

Yes! Funnier was bringing the EX to CA and showed them to him on the plant. :lol:

Cowgirl

Cowgirl, to more thoroughly answer you question:

Cut the stem down to just a nub and trim the prickles off the leaf ends with scissors.

Cook according to previous instructions. You can also cut them lengthwise and grill them. :yum:

Pull the leaves off the artichoke and scrape the pulp at the end with your teeth.

When you're down to the fuzzy stuff, scrape that off the artichoke heart and eat the heart. <-- this is the best part.

Thanks!

I :heart: you, too. Don't you love it when you bring one up to the cashier and they say "What is this?" Duh.

:roflmao: She asked me what it was!!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Interesting. I've only ever had them marinated from the bottle. Now I'll have to track some down and try fresh. I suspect I'll like them a lot more that way.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We had arties tonight. They are a bit of work to eat, but so worth it. We've had them twice in the last 2-3 weeks. Not sure why we don't eat them more often.

In NJ, they are often baked with garlic & bread crumbs. I haven't had 1 of those in ages.

In Italy they put the entire choke in the campfire. When the center leaves pull out easily, they are done. You throw away the burnt outer leaves but the rest of it is amazing.

They taste better than they look.

Last edited: