St. Mary's Co. Asbestos

Erin

Any one know how to get a home inspected for asbestos? Built in 1966 and suspect it's in the floor tile & ceiling tile.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Any one know how to get a home inspected for asbestos? Built in 1966 and suspect it's in the floor tile & ceiling tile.
Most likely, if it is there, it would be the siding. If you have old white shingle looking siding, those are asbestos shingle siding. Nothing to worry about, those can just be covered with vinyl siding rather than removing them. You wouldn't find asbestos in floor or ceiling tile. Pipe insulation maybe.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Contact an abatement company. There is Waco Inc in Mechanicsville that might be able to help you out. (301) 290-1333

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
One of the buildings I worked at on Pax many moons ago had asbestos tile. I special contractor had to come in and remove it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Contact an abatement company. There is Waco Inc in Mechanicsville that might be able to help you out. (301) 290-1333
or any honest builder / installer. If they see asbestos they will run from the job.
But an abatement company is a far better idea.

Goldenhawk

There are also plenty of companies that will take samples via mail, test them, and send you the results. I had this done for some old hard siding from a house I renovated. Search Google or Amazon for "asbestos test kit" and you'll find several options; the "kit" is really just a mailer you send in, and they send you the results in about a week. Simplest and cheapest way to go. Of course, be careful collecting the samples - if it does have asbestos, you don't want to disturb it more than necessary.

Kinnakeet

If I may ...

Most likely, if it is there, it would be the siding. If you have old white shingle looking siding, those are asbestos shingle siding. Nothing to worry about, those can just be covered with vinyl siding rather than removing them. You wouldn't find asbestos in floor or ceiling tile. Pipe insulation maybe.
floor tile was made with asbestos for sure the tile in question would be 9x9 tile if you are not sure take a piece and have it tested

Kinnakeet

its only dangerous when it is in a powder form or friable as the call it it gets stuck in your lungs and might not harm you depending on how much you have inhaled which would have to be a lot and when discovered you have about 6 months to live this is how Steve McQueen died

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I disagree. There is old tile flooring that has asbestos.
Just when I think I know everything .... I stand corrected. Asbestos was also used in the black mastic asphalt adhesive it appears. Anyway,
for the OP. Just cover it up with new flooring, problem solved. Same with the ceiling tiles, cover them up with drywall. You could remove everything yourself if you wanted. You would just have to keep any asbestos tile or shingle well moistened or wet, during the removal process to keep dust from forming. It much easier with the the outside wall shingles. Those can just have the shingle nails removed and remove one shingle at a time. Then you can sell them. There is a market for those as they are very good, extremely efficient, at keeping heat off the house during the summer. There is actually very little to fear from these type of home products. Unless your tile floor is getting so worn to the point just walking on it is causing the creation of dust. By the way, you will pay a whole bunch $$$$$ of money for a licenced and certified abatement company to remove asbestos containing products. As per the EPA's website: "Training for asbestos professionals is required under the EPA Asbestos Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) which EPA issued under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 (AHERA)." Best to cover it up, or do it yourself.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Just when I think I know everything .... I stand corrected. Asbestos was also used in the black mastic asphalt adhesive it appears. Anyway,
for the OP. Just cover it up with new flooring, problem solved. Same with the ceiling tiles, cover them up with drywall. You could remove everything yourself if you wanted. You would just have to keep any asbestos tile or shingle well moistened or wet, during the removal process to keep dust from forming. It much easier with the the outside wall shingles. Those can just have the shingle nails removed and remove one shingle at a time. Then you can sell them. There is a market for those as they are very good, extremely efficient, at keeping heat off the house during the summer. There is actually very little to fear from these type of home products. Unless your tile floor is getting so worn to the point just walking on it is causing the creation of dust. By the way, you will pay a whole bunch $$$$$ of money for a licenced and certified abatement company to remove asbestos containing products. As per the EPA's website: "Training for asbestos professionals is required under the EPA Asbestos Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) which EPA issued under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 (AHERA)." Best to cover it up, or do it yourself.
probably not the best idea, not if you plan on ever selling the house.
Yes, abatement is not going to be cheap, it takes time and a lot of work to safely remove the material in question.
Best to do it properly from the start. That may not mean an expensive removal process, which is why you need a professional.
It could be that it can be sealed under a layer and the new floor placed on top of that. I don;'t know the law and the process, but do know the key to the whole thing is containment. You don't want the "dust" to get free into the house.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

probably not the best idea, not if you plan on ever selling the house.
Yes, abatement is not going to be cheap, it takes time and a lot of work to safely remove the material in question.
Best to do it properly from the start. That may not mean an expensive removal process, which is why you need a professional.
It could be that it can be sealed under a layer and the new floor placed on top of that. I don;'t know the law and the process, but do know the key to the whole thing is containment. You don't want the "dust" to get free into the house.
Kinda jumping the shark here on this one. There is no "law" requiring its removal, though disclosure, if known, might be a requirement, (depends on State), during the sale of a property. But if it is removed, to be done in a proper fashion. Sealing is not a requirement. Simply covering is sufficient. It is not like lead paint where there are Federal and State laws governing full and complete disclosure upon listing for sale, and with some states requiring registration of properties if the property is a rental, such as Maryland. A professional is not needed. Simple common sense, wetting the materiel to be removed so no dust is generated is the procedure. If really fearful, even while the stuff is wet, wear a filtration mask. Then, mop up the remaining water and pour it down the drain. Look, unless one is cutting through the stuff or sanding the stuff, there really is no cause for fear.

frequentflier

happy to be living
its only dangerous when it is in a powder form or friable as the call it it gets stuck in your lungs and might not harm you depending on how much you have inhaled which would have to be a lot and when discovered you have about 6 months to live this is how Steve McQueen died
My Mother died from mesothelioma at the young age of 52. She worked at a hospital and they were doing renovations. We had to sign off that her estate would never sue the hospital...

kileytaylor

Chiming in here with Sim question. Live in Mechanicsville and house was built in 1958. All walls and ceiling or rock lath plaster. ( plaster over Gyp) anyone in this area experienced issues with asbestos in the plaster of their home?