Assateague camping/fishing trip

Ponytail

Camping/fishing at Assateague.

Few of use are thinking about organizing a fall camping/fishing trip one weekend down there, though none of us have ever been. Is the $120 fee worth it to drive on the beach or are the campsites reasonably close to the beach so that we can hoof it over there to fish?

Thanks.

D-35

Too Warped to go Camping Anymore

Few of use are thinking about organizing a fall camping/fishing trip one weekend down there, though none of us have ever been. Is the $120 fee worth it to drive on the beach or are the campsites reasonably close to the beach so that we can hoof it over there to fish?

Thanks.

Assateague, is similar to Chesapeake. By the time I learned how to spell the names of these places and told my friends about them-- I was too cranky to enjoy the rigors & fellowship of camping.

:buddies:

owenslx3

Never fished there but you better bring some bug spray and some horse repellent. I've seen them tearing campsites up. Pretty funny to watch.....unless its your campsite

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I camped there ONE time many moons ago. Be prepared for mosquitos the size of pterodactyls :yikes: and ponies coming through your campsite at 3 in the morning wreaking havoc on anything in their path. :jameo:

Seriously, I didn't find anything to be too far to go to while walking. It's a beautiful area. Just bring LOTS of bug spray and apply it liberally. :yay:

zellaj

I went a few years ago in July. We were a couple hundred feet from the beach. Our site was behind a sand dune. The walk wasn't bad and the bugs weren't either. We went clamming when I was there. If I recall correctly you go down 611 (Stephen Decatur Highway) you will come to the Verrazano Bridge. To the right of the bridge if you're going toward assateague the water is very shallow and you can dig clams out of the mud. We probably got a 5 gallon bucket worth in an hour. Just feel with your feet then dig them out.

Thanks.

You'd have a lot more fishing area if you drove.