Assisted suicide...

This_person

Local News | Wash. voters approve assisted suicide initiative | Seattle Times Newspaper

Voters approved Initiative 1000 on Tuesday, making Washington the second state to give terminally ill people the option of medically assisted suicide.

"Death with Dignity" or "a dangerous step that devalues human life"?

Discuss...:coffee:
Take the issue of life insurance out, and I believe it's death with dignity.

People have the right to choose to live or die. This is why I suggest waiting until a baby is born and is 18 before asking them if they'd like to have been aborted - it's the baby's choice, no one else's.

Same with a terminally ill patient. It's their choice, IMO.

However, don't make my insurance rates go up by choosing to die - the insurance is for natural, accidental, or other non-self-induced methods.

However, don't make my insurance rates go up by choosing to die - the insurance is for natural, accidental, or other non-self-induced methods.

By that same token.. how far is the stretch that insurance companies will eventually want a say in whether or not it's more cost effective to "shut you down" quickly rather than pay the costs of extending the inevitable?

This_person

By that same token.. how far is the stretch that insurance companies will eventually want a say in whether or not it's more cost effective to "shut you down" quickly rather than pay the costs of extending the inevitable?
They have that right now. They can choose whether or not to cover services that may or may not be necessary for life.

However, I do think that option would have to remain in the realm of ONLY the person whose life is at stake. Living will, verbal instruction, what have you.