At least 138 people are dead in Sri Lanka.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Over 200 dead.
I wonder if there will be the same outrage as there was for the shooting at the New Zealand mosque?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Blown up church's and hotels. Suicide bombers.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-sri-lanka-explosions-20190420-story.html

No one has claimed responsibility for Sunday's blasts.

I believe we can guess who blew them up. No matter what they call themselves they belong to the same cult
I believe an esteemed member of this forum will tell us it was Trump.

Or, if not Trump, it was roof restorers furloughed from their work in Paris and on vacation in Sri Lanka doing pro bono work.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Blown up church's and hotels. Suicide bombers.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-sri-lanka-explosions-20190420-story.html

No one has claimed responsibility for Sunday's blasts.

I believe we can guess who blew them up. No matter what they call themselves they belong to the same cult
On a serious note (as opposed to my previous post), Sri Lanka remains an ethnic quagmire (for lack of a better term). Was surprised to read in the article that there are issues within the island's Buddhist community. My immediate thought was the Tamil Tigers (as mentioned in the article), but had thought they were put to bed years ago. I thought that because they were big users of suicide devices/attacks. But I don't ever remember the Tamil Tigers targeting churches....

Didn't immediately think the Muslim community, but this could be in reaction to acts against their community on the island. But then again, why Christian churches (as it wasn't the Christian community who were giving the Muslims a hard time)? Which then makes me think an external organization gaining a foothold (as AQ has done is various and sundry places).

Certainly an act of terror, but who...? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Sri Lanka remains an ethnic quagmire

The more homogeneous a nation, the more harmony you will find. Think places like Iceland or Japan.

The more heterogeneous a nation, the more likely you will find civil strife. The differences can be tribal, ethnic or religious

SamSpade

The more homogeneous a nation, the more harmony you will find. Think places like Iceland or Japan.

The more heterogeneous a nation, the more likely you will find civil strife. The differences can be tribal, ethnic or religious

Agreed.

About 20 some years ago, my parents hosted a student from Sri Lanka. Among other things, he was very impressed by my parent's church which like many churches in the DC area was very raciallly and ethnically mixed. He was a bit overwhelmed that such an organization could really even exist let alone do well. One remark he made to my parents was his wish that people in his nation could be like their church.

But you're right in a lot of ways. In India, if you want to be Muslim, you probably will just jump over to Pakistan which is 96% Muslim. Or neighboring Bangladesh. Sri Lanka's religious diversity hasn't managed to co-exist peacefully, and it's not just a matter of crossing the border.

Yooper

Last edited:

Yooper

Didn't immediately think the Muslim community, but this could be in reaction to acts against their community on the island. But then again, why Christian churches (as it wasn't the Christian community who were giving the Muslims a hard time)? Which then makes me think an external organization gaining a foothold (as AQ has done is various and sundry places).
I know the reporting this morning is that it's a local radical Islamic group, but if Speckhard is correct (snip & link, below), this is now a branch office of AQ. And that's disturbing. A new round of "whack-A-Mole"....

“These attacks appear to be quite different and look as if they came right out of the ISIS, Al Qaeda, global militant jihadist playbook, as these are attacks fomenting religious hatred by attacking multiple churches on a high religious holiday,” Anne Speckhard, the director of the International Center for the Study of Violent Extremism, told the Times.

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/world/7-sui...mbings-13-suspects-in-custody-authorities-say

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

290 dead, some 500 wounded, and a radical Islamist group taking credit.
So, your answer is no.

This second tweet from Alexander hits it even harder:

Here are the "hashtags" that have been going through my head these past 24 hours as I try to sort out the event and the reactions:
#Devastated
#RighteousAnger
#EvenIfWeDon'tUnderstand_GodStillHasOurBacks
#FallDownInWorshipTheRisenLamb
#Revelation610

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Hijinx

Danish retail billionaire Anders Holch Povlsen lost three children in the attacks in Sri Lanka on Sunday, according to a spokesperson for his company.
Danish media reported that Holch Povlsen was in Sri Lanka with his family on vacation. He and his wife Anne are among the biggest private landowners in Scotland.

Sri Lanka is generally regarded as a safe place to travel to.
My guess is that will change.

Sri Lank has only about 10% Muslims, perhaps the terrorist kind.
We should think long and hard about that.