AT&T ruined Directv

imaref

I've been a loyal Directv customer since December 1996 (23 years) and was always happy with the channel selection and excellent picture. I got worried when AT&T bought them out. I figured it was only a matter of time before things got bad. Boy was I right.

The first debacle was when they changed the guide. That went on for over a year until they finally got it at least usable.

I have a Genie DVR and 3 clients, the Total Choice Extra package (grandfathered) and I was also grandfathered into receiving the distant network feeds (meaning that besides the local DC stations, I was also getting ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX from New York and LA as well). I was paying around $99 a month.

Note that I haven't been under any kind of contract for years. AT&T took over and my bill went up to $120. I balked but kept the service. Last year at this time, they wanted to raise it another $40 and I called in and complained--they gave me a discount of $40 per month for 1 year.

Which brings me to last week, when again they said my promotion was going to expire and my bill would go up by another $40. I called the retention department and the best they could offer me was $5 off a month for 12 months. I told them to go pound sand and canceled on the spot. I guess I'm not a priority because I didn't receive a single phone call or email trying to get me back.

Yesterday I signed up for YoutubeTV (3 weeks for free, then $49.99 per month). Very pleased so far. I may also add PhiloTV so I can get HIstory Channel, A&E and the Paramount Network (which YoutubeTV doesn't carry). YoutubeTV has all of the sports channels that I want (but they don't carry NFL Network which doesn't matter because I rarely watch it).

Before AT&T took over Directv had very good customer service. I think Directv (and other AT&T tv services such as UVerse and AT&T TV) will hemorrhage more customers this quarter than last quarter (which was really, really bad for them). I feel bad for former Directv employess that are now stuck working for the death star.

I am now relieved to have my home completely free of any AT&T "service".

littlelady

God bless the USA
I've been a loyal Directv customer since December 1996 (23 years) and was always happy with the channel selection and excellent picture. I got worried when AT&T bought them out. I figured it was only a matter of time before things got bad. Boy was I right.

The first debacle was when they changed the guide. That went on for over a year until they finally got it at least usable.

I have a Genie DVR and 3 clients, the Total Choice Extra package (grandfathered) and I was also grandfathered into receiving the distant network feeds (meaning that besides the local DC stations, I was also getting ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX from New York and LA as well). I was paying around $99 a month.

Note that I haven't been under any kind of contract for years. AT&T took over and my bill went up to $120. I balked but kept the service. Last year at this time, they wanted to raise it another $40 and I called in and complained--they gave me a discount of $40 per month for 1 year.

Which brings me to last week, when again they said my promotion was going to expire and my bill would go up by another $40. I called the retention department and the best they could offer me was $5 off a month for 12 months. I told them to go pound sand and canceled on the spot. I guess I'm not a priority because I didn't receive a single phone call or email trying to get me back.

Yesterday I signed up for YoutubeTV (3 weeks for free, then $49.99 per month). Very pleased so far. I may also add PhiloTV so I can get HIstory Channel, A&E and the Paramount Network (which YoutubeTV doesn't carry). YoutubeTV has all of the sports channels that I want (but they don't carry NFL Network which doesn't matter because I rarely watch it).

Before AT&T took over Directv had very good customer service. I think Directv (and other AT&T tv services such as UVerse and AT&T TV) will hemorrhage more customers this quarter than last quarter (which was really, really bad for them). I feel bad for former Directv employess that are now stuck working for the death star.

AT&T ruined a lot of things. You know. Power and all. We got rid of Comcast, too, a long time ago. They are, among others, that are in cahoots with the power thing. When we moved to Calvert in 1998, there was nothing for reception to our house, except an antenna on the chimney. When cable was, finally, run to us by Comcast, it went up every year; even though, we never changed our plan. I, finally, got tired of it, and cancelled. Who needs tv, really? We have since moved. We have Verizon and Hulu, now. Verizon is a gouger, too. May have to rethink, again.

Last edited:

tuffenuff2

You should look into Locast. You will get all the NFL games that are on Abc,Cbs , Fox and Nbc. It's a " donation" of $5 a month.

black dog

Free America
So you have internet at your home already and you're also paying big bucks for sat tv? With so many internet options im not sure AT&T is the problem...
I run internet, Amazon Prime ( 13 bucks ) and a local antenna...

phreddyp

So you have internet at your home already and you're also paying big bucks for sat tv? With so many internet options im not sure AT&T is the problem...
I run internet, Amazon Prime ( 13 bucks ) and a local antenna...
I have Amazon Prime , local antenna and Netflix it works great . I may have to look into Locast though.

Homer J

Power Chord
With so many people jumping ship from cable and satellite and going to the streaming services, you would think they would be willing to do a lot to keep customers. Doesn't seem that way though.

luvmygdaughters

I agree 100%!! We have had Direct TV for the past 24 years. I was reasonably happy with their customer service and their prices. Since AT & T took over, its been nothing but an expensive P.I.A. We renewed our contract 2 years ago because we upgraded to the Genie. That has finally ended. I am shopping around now for another service, but, we have to have the local channels so hubby can watch football. He was thinking of getting an antennae. It may be the way to go.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
With so many people jumping ship from cable and satellite and going to the streaming services, you would think they would be willing to do a lot to keep customers. Doesn't seem that way though.

When I was at Channel 10 and we'd be pricing an advertising promotion, my boss would always joke, "Let's charge $1 million. That way we only have to sell one." Now, he was kidding but there are a surprising number of business people who really think that way.

Big tech and big business are ruining everything. They're ruining the internet; ruining TV; ruining shopping. They go in with their deep pockets and low ball to drive out small competitors, then when they own the market they can do whatever they please. But AT&T is a dinosaur on their way out, so I guess they have to get while the gettin' is good, or at least retool their business model.

Goldenhawk

Ditto, on every single point you made. Even the length of service - I think we got into DTV in 1997.

I cancelled DTV last month, after testing out YouTubeTV for a month or two and finding it a nearly perfect replacement for all the things I used to love about DTV. The only thing I don't have (that I care about) is the History Channel, which wants a rather high price for its own app on my Roku.

By the way, the Roku Ultra makes a nearly perfect vehicle for YouTubeTV. The only thing it lacks is a mute button on the Roku remote. But I love the fast-forward/rewind setup (except I would prefer a 30 second skip instead of 15 seconds). I love how it shows me a picture preview of where I'm skipping to, so I can decide if it's past the commercials before resuming play.

My new setup works really well for football, which was one of my big concerns; we watch a lot of NFL games each week and whatever we used to replace DTV had to excel at NFL. And the Roku+YTTV does just fine. Even better, I can watch those recordings literally anywhere - on my iPad, my iPhone, my laptop, or either of my household Roku devices.

I would be a bit happier if:
  • The Roku remote had a mute button
  • I could customize those four hardwired shortcut buttons on the Roku remote to channels I actually like
  • The skip was 30 seconds instead of 15

But otherwise, like you said, DirecTV and AT&T can pound sand. They're dead to me. A shame, really, since DTV seriously had it going for many years, and drove a lot of the "let's get away from cable TV" market in the first place. But as happens far too often, the industry leader stumbles, and a new kid steps up and takes over. Welcome, YouTubeTV, to the top of the hill. Please stay there.

WheezyCarl

I agree 100%!! We have had Direct TV for the past 24 years. I was reasonably happy with their customer service and their prices. Since AT & T took over, its been nothing but an expensive P.I.A. We renewed our contract 2 years ago because we upgraded to the Genie. That has finally ended. I am shopping around now for another service, but, we have to have the local channels so hubby can watch football. He was thinking of getting an antennae. It may be the way to go.
I use ABB for internet, bought a Roku streaming stick and subscribe to Hulu Live. $54.99/month. I watch live local news (DC), blacked-out Caps games, football, etc. Package includes a built in DVR, an "On Demand" option and every channel that cable offered, plus. Hallmark channel is not an option however, though this does not affect me in the least. More TV than I need, but I enjoy all of the options that come with the package. Good luck!!

luvmygdaughters

I use ABB for internet, bought a Roku streaming stick and subscribe to Hulu Live. $54.99/month. I watch live local news (DC), blacked-out Caps games, football, etc. Package includes a built in DVR, an "On Demand" option and every channel that cable offered, plus. Hallmark channel is not an option however, though this does not affect me in the least. More TV than I need, but I enjoy all of the options that come with the package. Good luck!!
Thanks, I'll look into that!

Goldenhawk

I read an interesting analysis that AT&T may very well not want us as customers, especially those of us who aren't willing to pay their full-load prices.

Apparently, their contracts with various networks have certain pricing structures that mean AT&T is losing money above a certain customer count. Basically, they underbid or overestimated some things, and their per-customer profit is negative. So in fact, they basically have to get rid of a lot of customers in order to remain profitable.

So when we smarter satellite customers call and insist on better pricing, they would rather drop us anyway. It's cheaper for them.

It also doesn't help that their satellite infrastructure is aging rapidly. So in some ways, DirecTV execs may have seen the writing on the wall and bailed out at exactly the right time - making a ton of money to get out of a business that was going to tank anyway. AT&T probably also recognized this, but was hoping to simply convert all those customers into the streaming internet TV business. But I don't think they understood how lousy their service is, and how that would chase away so many people.

And the tough part is for those customers with no access to high speed internet, who really cannot get streaming TV: they NEED satellite TV. But they're screwed. All they can do is migrate to Dish... or wait until Elon Musk gets Starlink up and running, at which point the entire internet delivery market is going to experience a huge upheaval.

General Lee

You guys are lucky, Atlantic BB wants 2600 dollars to run cable to my house for internet. So I'm stuck with DTV (AT&T)

Goldenhawk

What about Dish? When I spoke with them, their rates (the REAL permanent rates, not the fake short-term discount like AT&T advertises) was quite a bit cheaper than DTV. I would have switched to Dish if YouTubeTV hadn't worked out.

gemma_rae

But AT&T is a dinosaur on their way out, so I guess they have to get while the gettin' is good, or at least retool their business model.
Just a little F.Y.I.
Southwestern Bell Communications bought AT&T some years back, but used the AT&T moniker for the name recognition. They are second only to Verizon as the largest communications company in the US.

Ointment Happens

P.S. Good Lort, time flies! It was 2005

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

And from today's news... two new headlines: "AT&T starts showing pause ads with motion and sound on DirecTV" and "AT&T raises DirecTV prices again despite losing millions of customers". Tell me... what does stupid look like?

Brian Lesser, the CEO of AT&T's Xandr advertising division, contends the telecom still sees the new ads as "non-interruptive." Lesser went on to claim that research suggests people "would rather see immersive advertising than a freeze-frame of a screensaver of something else."

Really? I'd rather see NOTHING: I paused the TV explicitly because I don't want distractions right now.

This is exactly why I cancelled all my AT&T/DirecTV service last month. They clearly don't understand their customers, and everything they're doing is a giant "screw you" statement.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I would cut the cord in the blink of an eye except for the back that my wife, literally, has trouble figuring out her flip phone. I have had a PC since the 70s and she has never figured out how to even turn it on.

imaref

You should look into Locast. You will get all the NFL games that are on Abc,Cbs , Fox and Nbc. It's a " donation" of $5 a month.
I have locast as well, but YoutubeTV has the DC local stations so I don't use locast much anymore (except for the subchannels occasionally).

MiddleGround

This is exactly why I cancelled all my AT&T/DirecTV service last month. They clearly don't care about their customers, and everything they're doing is a giant money grab.

FIFY.

AT&T are smart in the fact that they are squeezing every dollar out of advertisers by putting up 'pause ads.' Do you really think they are not getting paid for those?