at what age is someone too old to be a politician

Too old to govern

• Total voters

bcp

In My Opinion
Since various people keep making reference to age of candidates, Im just wondering what the baseline is for being too old.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Since various people keep making reference to age of candidates, Im just wondering what the baseline is for being too old.

IMHO, one is too old to be a politician when one hits that age where reason and common sense depart.

So, where is that choice for the age that includes everything but those two days in the 30's?:whistle:

bcp

In My Opinion
IMHO, one is too old to be a politician when one hits that age where reason and common sense depart.

So, where is that choice for the age that includes everything but those two days in the 30's?:whistle:
reason and common sense based on what?

some people think Bush had no common sense, Others think the same about obama.

I do have my thoughts on it.

basically its like this.
If you have no vested stake in what is being proposed, you have no right to write law concerning it.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
reason and common sense based on what?

some people think Bush had no common sense, Others think the same about obama.

I do have my thoughts on it.

basically its like this.
If you have no vested stake in what is being proposed, you have no right to write law concerning it.

This might be a little bit hard to do as you could never find someone who had a vested stake in EVERYTHING. The best we can hope for is intelligent people who have common sense and a sense of reason concerning what is practical and doable and what is not.

BTW, I love, love, love your new siggy -- it says it all!!

bcp

In My Opinion
This might be a little bit hard to do as you could never find someone who had a vested stake in EVERYTHING. The best we can hope for is intelligent people who have common sense and a sense of reason concerning what is practical and doable and what is not.

BTW, I love, love, love your new siggy -- it says it all!!
Someone in another forum had that as their sig line.
so I stole it..

Hey, at least I dont try to claim credit for things I didnt do.:killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Our problems, starting with Clinton, then Bush and now, Obama is young Turks that are in way over their heads.

So, forget old. At what point is someone simply too young and immature for the job? We've got three in a row so far.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Someone in another forum had that as their sig line.
so I stole it..

Hey, at least I dont try to claim credit for things I didnt do.:killingme

As for the sig, how many people actually read safety labels and how many people has that actually helped?

"Oh! I had no idea the coffee was hot! Thank you, McDonalds!"

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I can't remember the details and a quick search was fruitless... but a couple weeks ago Fox interviewed a lady in TX who was running for a town council seat, and she was over 90.

At what point is someone simply too young and immature for the job?
So you disagree with the Constitution that 35 is acceptable? And you have raised kids, so you should know age and maturity are not necessarily connected.

As for the sig, how many people actually read safety labels and how many people has that actually helped?
Still funny. :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So you disagree with the Constitution that 35 is acceptable? And you have raised kids, so you should know age and maturity are not necessarily connected.

The Constitution says you need to be at least 35. It doesn't say you must be 35.

bcp

In My Opinion
I know some people in their 20s that have more sense and smarts than some people in their 50 or 60s.
I dont think age should be a factor.
I would think the overiding factors would be
education
charactor
responsibility
experience of leadership
Health.

I dont have a problem with someone in their 80s even, as long as the are of sound mind.
Maybe the requirement should be an age spread between President and Vice President, with more decision making power given to the VP. That might give a bit more insight into certain proposed actions.

John McCains age was not an issue for me when he ran. His liberalism was, but not his age.

What was the average life expectancy when that 35 rule was written? How does that play into an age today based on percentage

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
The Constitution says you need to be at least 35. It doesn't say you must be 35.
I wasn't saying that either. :confused: The Constitution says 35 is okay, but you apparently think Clinton and Bush (46 and 54, respectively) were not old enough. So what do you think the minimum should be?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wasn't saying that either. :confused: The Constitution says 35 is okay, but you apparently think Clinton and Bush (46 and 54, respectively) were not old enough. So what do you think the minimum should be?

I wouldn't argue for a constitutional change. It's just my opinion that youth hasn't done so well of late.