At wit's end

SamSpade

I am not sure anything CAN work. Our two stay out of each other's orbits most of the time except at feeding time, and the bully cat will ALWAYS pick on the other. They don't often have epic fights - usually it's over in ten seconds - but it's been 14 years - and they don't get along. We had a third cat that BOTH of them bullied - and it eventually killed her. She refused to eat and despite interventions - she died.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Any chance the aggression is a result of abnormal hormone levels due to neutering?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Any chance the aggression is a result of abnormal hormone levels due to neutering?

The female is the aggressor, not the male. Poor Boone gets his ass handed to him by his sister who is half his size. Plus everything was fine for over two years from when they got fixed.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I am not sure anything CAN work. Our two stay out of each other's orbits most of the time except at feeding time, and the bully cat will ALWAYS pick on the other. They don't often have epic fights - usually it's over in ten seconds - but it's been 14 years - and they don't get along. We had a third cat that BOTH of them bullied - and it eventually killed her. She refused to eat and despite interventions - she died.
Seems like it's a constant waiting game for something to happen. Once they get reunited, they can be fine for a long time and then something will happen and they fight and need to be separated again. We are always on Boone's timeline because the boy can hold a grudge like no other. Gracie forgets the fight happens two seconds after it's over and has no idea why Boone is growling and hissing at her constantly. I am just grateful we have the space to keep them separate. Basement is finished and fully furnished so Gracie isn't living in squalor down there.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Seem to have come to a happy medium. Gracie stays in the basement (finished and furnished) while I am at work and overnight. She is perfectly happy down there and happily goes down each night with just a point of my finger. My husband stays down there so there's company even though she isn't too fond of him. :killingmeBoone is indecisive as to whether or not he accepts his sister again. Most of the time, he will ignore her or lick her head in acceptance but occasionally, he will hiss at her. The weird thing is, he will hiss without showing any sign of being scared. Yesterday, he was literally half asleep on my pillow when Gracie walked into my room. Boone opened one eye, hissed, and then went right back to sleep. Guess he just wanted to let her know that he hasn't forgotten his whopping by her.

I also upped the Feliway diffusers in the house. Went from one on each floor to three on each floor. I also had no idea that those needed to be entirely changed out every 6 months so I'm sure ours weren't working as well anymore. That also seemed to help calm things down.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Just ferals being feral. Hard to tame a wild cat.

Plus, female. I will never again knowingly have a female cat.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Just ferals being feral. Hard to tame a wild cat.

Plus, female. I will never again knowingly have a female cat.
We have always had issues with male cats and getting urine crystals but male cats do tend to be sweethearts. Last picture is from yesterday.

Attachments

• 20240225_113541.jpg
    20240225_113541.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240225_114549.jpg
    20240225_114549.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240312_174326.jpg
    20240312_174326.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 28

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
This one showed up in our wood shed 4 yrs ago, scrawny little rat. She hates everyone, except at food time, then she's purring and rubbing. Always gonna be part wildcat.

0313240909a~2.jpg