athletes Hoof

mingiz

Horse Poor
Clean them more often????? If it the onset of thrush then get some kopertox and put that on the hoof. If it is a fungus be very careful. You will have major problems then. I had one that had a hoof fungus. None of the farriers around here at the time knew it was that. They just kept telling me the horse had weak hoof walls. So a trip to a fantastic farrier in Frederick took care of it but it was to late to save him from navicular. But after a month of constant soaking and applying meds and keeping a dry wrap on the hoof he had enough hoof left to ride him again,I rode him 8yrs. I got the horse as a freebie. But after he couldn't do long rides anymore I gave him to a kid to plod around on. Last I heard he made it to 28yrs old..

mingiz

Horse Poor
HorseRiding God said:
I have noticed a smelly fungus growing on Zues's hoof what can I use to cure it?

If your a HorseRiding God.....Shouldn't you know these things??? :razz:

covekat

Yes, Thrush buster is still around! I would get either Kopertox or Thrush Buster, really any product specifically for thrush is okay... and soak a little cotton in it, and stick it down in the cracks (assuming there are any) use a hoof pick to do this... Make sure the hoof is clean before you do this, and try to keep your horse's feet as dry as possible! Change the cotton once a day, this should take care of it... You blacksmith can also cut some of it away when he comes out to trim.

MorganLover

IMO the thrush buster is expensive and didn't do a great job. I found with my horses pine-sol with water or hydrogen peroxide works best and cheap. But if it isn't thrush (since you have probably smelled it in your past,) i'd either call a vet or the farrier to check it out. I am not sure what other hoof problems there are with a smell to it other then thrush. he could possibly have an infected abscess, or canker? Some good stuff i found on searching for EVERYONE, it is really good read and both informative:

http://www.infohorse.com/html/hoofproblems.asp

http://www.acreageequines.com/HorseCare/horsecare3.htm