Atlantic Broadband Fee Increases!

TPD

the poor dad
Fees increasing again as of Aug 1st.

What really sticks in my craw is the price of the digital adapter that we all MUST have to see any television program - going from $1.95 to $3.95!! Multiplied by the number of televisions you have.

Other increases - Sports Surcharge from $4 to $6. And I'm not subscribing to any premium sports channels - just the expanded television package. High-speed Network Recover fee from $3.25 to $4.25.

Based on my calculations, my bill will increase about 7.5% in August. In less than 3 years my total internet/TV package has increased 31% ($152 to almost $200) with no change in services or packages (well maybe an increase in internet speed but not because I asked for it).

Other than ditching AB, does anyone have a work around for eliminating the digital adapter? That $100 100mile range outdoor antennae is looking more appealing.

flowerlover

You're lucky - those digital adapters with Comcast are $6.99 each. Started out free and then kept increasing the cost. Another reason I'm looking to dump cable and start streaming.

Chris0nllyn

Other than ditching AB, does anyone have a work around for eliminating the digital adapter? That $100 100mile range outdoor antennae is looking more appealing.

Unfortunately, no. You can try plugging the coax direclty into the TV (assuming it has a digital tuner), but most every cable provider encrypts their channels and you need a set top box to make them show.

You can try Locast which gives you DC over-the-air channels for free.
https://www.locast.org/markets/?dma=511

SamSpade

Unfortunately, no. You can try plugging the coax direclty into the TV (assuming it has a digital tuner), but most every cable provider encrypts their channels and you need a set top box to make them show.

Just tried it on my Roku. Am I missing something? It shows the channels, but won't let me watch them.

SamSpade

Not sure if I did - did it a while back. I can see however that it offers me the option to "logout" - although it won't let me navigate there.

It WILL let me "Donate", which leads me to believe it's not really "free".

Not sure if I did - did it a while back. I can see however that it offers me the option to "logout" - although it won't let me navigate there.

It WILL let me "Donate", which leads me to believe it's not really "free".
I seem to remember reading about that.... people using the service said it worked at first, but got progressively more demanding about "donations" until it finally would not let you watch without a contribution. 3rd hand, I don't have the service, so this is just hearsay.

SamSpade

Well apparently it's not "free" - still costs 5 dollars a month.
Evidently I wasn't logged in, even though it let me log out?
I logged out and logged in again, and it was ok with that.

SamSpade

I seem to remember reading about that.... people using the service said it worked at first, but got progressively more demanding about "donations" until it finally would not let you watch without a contribution. 3rd hand, I don't have the service, so this is just hearsay.

Until it has SOME kind of streaming capability - something like DVR even - it will never be something we will use.
Even on stuff like local news and weather, it just happens way too often we need to pause or repeat something.
This is much like it was years ago, before cable and DVR - strictly live TV. I don't plan to use that much.

glhs837

Power with Control

Yeah, using your TV hasnt worked since I think Metrocast? Or maybe GMP? Not sure, but yeah, all encrypted.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
They dont offer tv or internet where i live so i just use a hot spot with my cell phone provider. I can stream tv with no issues and i can even do online gaming

Chris0nllyn

Well apparently it's not "free" - still costs 5 dollars a month.
Evidently I wasn't logged in, even though it let me log out?
I logged out and logged in again, and it was ok with that.

It's a non-profit and ask for $5/mo. "donation".

I've yet to have it not work (but I certainly get the Locast commercial)

mitzi

$5 a month isn't bad. Planning on trying it tonight, will let you know how it works for me.

mitzi

It's a non-profit and ask for $5/mo. "donation".

I've yet to have it not work (but I certainly get the Locast commercial)

I have it on the TV now thru the Firestick. I was trying to make a $5 donation but it seems you can only pay thru Paypal? I don't have a Paypal account. Has anyone else tried to make the donation. And yes, it just stopped showing what I had it on and went back to the guide after they're request for a donation.

PeoplesElbow

I have it on the TV now thru the Firestick. I was trying to make a $5 donation but it seems you can only pay thru Paypal? I don't have a Paypal account. Has anyone else tried to make the donation. And yes, it just stopped showing what I had it on and went back to the guide after they're request for a donation.
They can do credit cards, or atleast their website says they can.

The 50 cent processing fee for each donation annoys me though.