Atlantic Broadband

mitzi

Double check your bill if you've had them come out for a service call. They charged me $50 for coming out a couple weeks ago and they shouldn't have. The CSR told me he was glad I called. He said that most people would not have caught the mistake and would have paid for something they shouldn't have. The guy was pleasant enough but I'm sure saying what he was trained to say.

SamSpade

No, but I've noticed the bill just inexorably climbing higher. One of our irritating costs in the past has been watching a movie on OnDemand, but we now have enough to watch on streaming channels, that's a cost we've avoided.

But the bill keeps climbing and I don't know how to get it low enough. I've found even if I buy all my own equipment, costs to use them don't drop enough to make it worth it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
No, but I've noticed the bill just inexorably climbing higher. One of our irritating costs in the past has been watching a movie on OnDemand, but we now have enough to watch on streaming channels, that's a cost we've avoided.

But the bill keeps climbing and I don't know how to get it low enough. I've found even if I buy all my own equipment, costs to use them don't drop enough to make it worth it.

Do you have the full sized cable boxes. If so and if you're not into the DVR function, you can turn them in and get the mini-boxes. The don't have the DVR function nor pay=per-view but the do give you the channel guide and they're free.

SamSpade

Do you have the full sized cable boxes. If so and if you're not into the DVR function, you can turn them in and get the mini-boxes. The don't have the DVR function nor pay=per-view but the do give you the channel guide and they're free.

Last I checked, they're not free - just the first one or two. After that, there's a small fee (about 4 bucks).
Actually, I just checked my bill - somehow they ARE charging me for all three. So, no, it's not free at all.

We DO like the DVR function - pausing live TV, playing back recorded shows. Being able to watch a show in one room and picking up the rest in another. For that, we pay for three DVRs and the one that links them. So in addition to the base cost for the bundle, we pay for the damned cable modem - three DVRs - the linking "Jayhawk" - and the small boxes. There's also another 40 bucks in taxes and fees, covering stuff I can't even guess - like one of them is a "sports surcharge" for six bucks.

All in all, it's coming close to 300 a month, and I am really beginning to hate it. I could easily change all of my viewing habits to avoid it.
BUT - I don't have the last word, sadly.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Last I checked, they're not free - just the first one or two. After that, there's a small fee (about 4 bucks).
Actually, I just checked my bill - somehow they ARE charging me for all three. So, no, it's not free at all.

We DO like the DVR function - pausing live TV, playing back recorded shows. Being able to watch a show in one room and picking up the rest in another. For that, we pay for three DVRs and the one that links them. So in addition to the base cost for the bundle, we pay for the damned cable modem - three DVRs - the linking "Jayhawk" - and the small boxes. There's also another 40 bucks in taxes and fees, covering stuff I can't even guess - like one of them is a "sports surcharge" for six bucks.

All in all, it's coming close to 300 a month, and I am really beginning to hate it. I could easily change all of my viewing habits to avoid it.
BUT - I don't have the last word, sadly.

Wow. Sounds like you have a big set up. I had the mini-boxes for two years and was never charged for them. I turned them in a couple of months ago when I went Internet only.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Atlantic Broadband.. we had the OLD whole home DVR (Jayhawk?) And it stopped working. No longer supported, had to upgrade to TIVO whole home and the bill dropped over $100 a month

With TIVO you also get MoCA, hardwired internet wherever you have a cable drop in your house. Works a lot better than wifi for things like games, streaming, smart TVs, etc.

Each TIVO box has an ethernet port that is a direct internet connection (I use an 8 port switch in our living room) and where you don't have a TIVO box you only need a MoCA adaptor (about the $100 for 2) to do the same thing. Your entire house coax cabling becomes an ethernet LAN.