Atlantic Broadband

awol

Why did the county renew their franchise? They are a third rate company. Been on hold for 30 min waiting for someone. Unlike other companies there is no chat available.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The franchise agreement wasn't renewed as it isn't due to be extended until 2028, what they did was approve the transfer of the agreement from Metrocast to ABB when ABB bought them out.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

BernieP

Resident PIA
Doubt anyone else bid for the contract.
:dingding: Exactly

Atlantic Broadband purchased Metrocast who purchased GNP (Gans) who purchased Western Shore who purchased St. Mary's Cable-vision.....

There has only ever been one bidder for the franchise for as long as there has been cable TV in the county.

Talk to a member of the Cable board and they will tell you. All the major competitors refuse to bid, the common reply is that it would take too much money to bring the system up to their standards and there isn't a big enough customer base to recoup that type of expense.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That was one of the reasons I dropped Dish Network. I had been a customer since '96, and in 2005 my bill was getting out of hand, outdated hardware. I called and inquired about getting a break or the same as a new customer or even a hardware update. Nope. Ok, please cancel immediately. OOO...oooo.... wait a minute, let me pass you to our manager! Please stay with us!!! Nope. Bye.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Do any of you what the best cable company is?

The one you don't have.
True, but people also know he service could be so much better, that other people have true fiber optic speed and reliability.
Routine outages should not be the norm and people get weary.
I have the sneaking suspicion that if and when they start virtual schools (a) it' going to be epic fail at first. After that people are going to start to complain they aren't getting the speed they are paying for. Network speed is going to drop during the day and into the early evening.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ahhhhrrrrggggg. Turned rental back over to us the first of the month, have some repairs to do. Called sometime around the third week of August

We cant get a tech out there til the 10th.
Why does a tech need to show up? Everythings been working fine
We always send a tech for a new install.
It's not new, those cables have been there for ten years or more, everything's been working fine.
It's a new install of service. Tech has to check levels.
IT IS WORKING FINE
We'll see on the 10th, Sir.

So, back when we lived there, I wired the whole joint. One high quality splitter right inside the attic, sent signal to a six foot run right to where the modem and router were. Second leg went 12 feet to another splitter in the pantry, four way this time, right to to the living room and three bedrooms. Again, high quality splitter, nothing from Walmart.

We lived there and used tvs in all four rooms. No second run is longer than 25-30 feet, the house is right at 1,000 feet good cable, waterproof cable quality connectors.

Tenants mention on leaving that only the living room and master bedroom work. Odd, I thought. They did mention that a few years back an oil truck tore the line down. But the oil company was going to pay to fix it.

So now that they have gone, I look in the pantry where the four way is. Master and living room feeds disconnected and hooked to a cable company splitter. One of the lines has a red "service may be interrupted if this line is removed" tag on it.

Today, I go up into the attic. My two way there has been cut off, which killed the feed to the internet port. Not disconnected, just diked off.

Pretty sure I'll get nowhere asking for records, but we'll see. Just another example of petty cable installer tyrants. "If it isn't my special splitter, MUST DESTROY!!!!!"

stgislander

PREMO Member
We've had spotty Internet service here at the house since this past Saturday. Didn't have any last evening. I'm surprised I've got it now.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the excuse for reducing the five lines to two was "leakage", which is where unused cable outlets allow signal to bleed into the system and reduce performance. I'll never know why they thought it was okay to damage my property without talking to me. Could install terminators on the unused ports and prevent leakage that way. But that doesn't justify an $80 service call. Basically their position is that they will only actually connect outlets you pay for service on. You want TV in that other bedroom, you should pay for them to come out and reconnect that line.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dropped cable over one year ago, now I Hulu Live. :starcat:Little to no buffering and I can watch what I like, when I choose.

But you still need net. Which is where this started, they told me since I was only paying for internet, they only planned to "activate" one coax in the house. Confused me as to what "activate" meant. There's no switchboard in the house to activate or deactivate individual lines. Broke it down to meaning they plan on disconnecting the cables that were not going to be connected to a set top box. And seems they have FCC authority to refuse service to anyone who doesnt allow that. So since I cant find coax termination caps locally, I suppose that's the plan of the day.

BernieP

Resident PIA
. And seems they have FCC authority to refuse service to anyone who doesnt allow that.
But even though they hacked your internal wiring, you are still responsible for any problems with it.
Isn't great that they make the rules to suit them.

Clem72

Ahhhhrrrrggggg. Turned rental back over to us the first of the month, have some repairs to do. Called sometime around the third week of August

We cant get a tech out there til the 10th.
Why does a tech need to show up? Everythings been working fine
We always send a tech for a new install.
It's not new, those cables have been there for ten years or more, everything's been working fine.
It's a new install of service. Tech has to check levels.
IT IS WORKING FINE
We'll see on the 10th, Sir.

So, back when we lived there, I wired the whole joint. One high quality splitter right inside the attic, sent signal to a six foot run right to where the modem and router were. Second leg went 12 feet to another splitter in the pantry, four way this time, right to to the living room and three bedrooms. Again, high quality splitter, nothing from Walmart.

We lived there and used tvs in all four rooms. No second run is longer than 25-30 feet, the house is right at 1,000 feet good cable, waterproof cable quality connectors.

Tenants mention on leaving that only the living room and master bedroom work. Odd, I thought. They did mention that a few years back an oil truck tore the line down. But the oil company was going to pay to fix it.

So now that they have gone, I look in the pantry where the four way is. Master and living room feeds disconnected and hooked to a cable company splitter. One of the lines has a red "service may be interrupted if this line is removed" tag on it.

Today, I go up into the attic. My two way there has been cut off, which killed the feed to the internet port. Not disconnected, just diked off.

Pretty sure I'll get nowhere asking for records, but we'll see. Just another example of petty cable installer tyrants. "If it isn't my special splitter, MUST DESTROY!!!!!"

Not speaking to the issue of what the cable company did or did not do to your equipment, but your installation is exactly the reason they have to send technicians out.

First off, do you know the difference between a "high quality splitter" and the cheapest piece of dollar store junk on the market?

The difference is almost entirely in it's ability to resist water, which typically only matters for outside applications. Yes, some more expensive ones will be guaranteed for a larger bandwidth, maybe an extra 50mhz on the top end which means bupkis as cable tv and internet do not use those frequencies. For the case of cable TV, even the absolute cheapest one ever made will carry the entire frequency band without issue, so there will be negligible difference electrically. I will retract my statement if you tell me your high quality splitter was powered (I.E had an actual wall transformer).

Second, every two way splitter cuts your signal in half (3dB) regardless of whether you use all of the outputs. A 4 way splitter means each of the 4 drops has 1/4 the original power. If you put it in line with the 2 way splitter, that means you are working with 1/8th the amount of power. No wonder you have issues.

A cable modem typically works best near 0dB, and the signal coming into your house is usually a little hot so running it behind a 2 way splitter is good. If you have a need for 5 drops (your 4 way + the cable modem) then you should tell your installer because they will likely do one of two things. Install a powered 3 way splitter (one drop is unpowered, suitable for cable modem, two drops have been amplified and are suitable for additional splitters), or they will install a larger switch and increase the overall power coming to your house.

Installing a 2 way followed by a 4 way followed by a 2 way is nuts. Your better off installing a single powered 8 way splitter in the attic or basement with the outside cable directly into it, and running RG6 from that switch to every outlet in your house. Even a 100+ ft run of RG6 is MUCH better than putting an additional splitter in the line.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My problems are always in the upstream direction. As explained to me by multiple technicians, my modem decides it needs too much power to push data up the line so it goes into a continuous reset cycle until magic happens out on the pole and the modem's power drops.