Atlantic Broadband

CRHS89

Is there a list of canned responses for both customer service and techs from which to randomly choose? When the customer calls back a second time, after the first randomly chosen response didn't fix the issue, they randomly choose another response? That's sure what it seems like.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I actually had a second level tech come out to my house after my wife finally got through to a supervisor. This guy was an actual ABB employee and is a pole climber. He checked his equipment on the pole and told my wife there was nothing wrong with it. He said he was not supposed to go into homes, but after reviewing our history came inside and took measurements. Basically all he could come up with is "bad" connectors. After replacing all the connectors, we had Internet and phone back. He was concerned about the modem and told us if it starts causing the TV to become "blocky", to call the supervisor (we have his direct telephone number) and get another modem sent out.

If that is truely what was wrong, I guess what concerns me is these supposedly high quality compression connectors going bad within a year or two.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If that is truely what was wrong, I guess what concerns me is these supposedly high quality compression connectors going bad within a year or two.

After lots of testing and pole climbing, the two techs that ABB sent here eventually arrived at the "needs new connector at the modem" solution. They need to start using better connectors..LOL..that cable and connectors weren't more than a few years old.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, different tech just left. Checked at the box out front (entire roads cable is underground) and here at the modem. Said it's all fine, but he sees every other day some sort of surge. He didn't bother checking the with an ABB modem, he knows it's not that. Going to go make some calls and report back, says he knows for sure it's not us.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I actually had a second level tech come out to my house after my wife finally got through to a supervisor. This guy was an actual ABB employee and is a pole climber. He checked his equipment on the pole and told my wife there was nothing wrong with it. He said he was not supposed to go into homes, but after reviewing our history came inside and took measurements. Basically all he could come up with is "bad" connectors. After replacing all the connectors, we had Internet and phone back. He was concerned about the modem and told us if it starts causing the TV to become "blocky", to call the supervisor (we have his direct telephone number) and get another modem sent out.

Well our internet service didn't last long. It was off more than on since Monday. The interesting thing was that after being out all day yesterday, at exactly 6:00pm it came back on and was on when we went to bed at 11:00pm. It was off again this morning. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

All that is left for us to do is to follow the tech's instructions and call the super-secret supervisor telephone number and get another modem delivered.

Let me tell you, I gave the County Commissioners a piece of my mind in the broadband survey they are conducting. Not that I expect anything to come of it.

SandieGarry

A few years ago, lightning took out our ABB equipment and desktop pc. We were told it would take a couple of days to get a tech out with new equipment. Too long of a wait. Went and bought our own and it worked better than before.

luvmygdaughters

Well, we finally decided to cut ties with Direct TV and Verizon. ABB is installing cable and internet today. I cannot wait to call Direct TV and Verizon and tell them to pound sand. Our landline phone hasnt worked since we got all that rain and trust me, that's not unusual. Everytime it rains, the box gets wet and the phone goes out, as does the internet on occasion. Never an credits on the bill though. Directtv has sucked since ATT took them over. Over priced, lousy customer service and if it rains, the satellite feed gets interrupted and no tv. I spoke with a verizon rep and she basically said it was because of old equipment, copper wiring, etc. I said dont you think it would be a wise idea to update all that stuff. Her reply was yes, but, until they bring FIOS into Leonardtown, it aint happening...and there is no scheduled time in the near future for that to happen.

Clem72

I used to have multiple properties (ones I owned, family, friends) wired up to Dish/Cable/DirecTv such that I was probably troubleshooting a bad connector 3-5 times a year. Crimp or compression, didn't matter. Went to RG-6 with soldered F connectors and that eliminated the problems.

DaSDGuy

There better not be any interruptions tomorrow night with my cable service!

All polls are going to be connected via internet to ensure someone doesn't vote more than once tomorrow. Since Hollywood Fire Station is a polling place I would presume they use ABB for internet. We will see how this goes if one of the seven polling places in St. Mary's is not able to open tomorrow because of ABB.

TPD

the poor dad
All polls are going to be connected via internet to ensure someone doesn't vote more than once tomorrow. Since Hollywood Fire Station is a polling place I would presume they use ABB for internet. We will see how this goes if one of the seven polling places in St. Mary's is not able to open tomorrow because of ABB.

Polls are not connected to the internet! Results are tabulated on portable storage devices and driven to the Leonardtown office at the end of the night.

DaSDGuy

Polls are not connected to the internet! Results are tabulated on portable storage devices and driven to the Leonardtown office at the end of the night.
Not entirely accurate.
The poll books will all be connected via internet. The votes are collected for tabulation at Leonardtown on storage cards in the scanners, but the poll books that show who has or has not voted WILL be connected.
The poll books are the devices they use when you check in to vote. The scanners where you place your ballots are completely separate.

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
Not entirely accurate.
The poll books will all be connected via internet. The votes are collected for tabulation at Leonardtown on storage cards in the scanners, but the poll books that show who has or has not voted WILL be connected.
The poll books are the devices they use when you check in to vote. The scanners where you place your ballots are completely separate.

I was an election judge during the last presidential election. The poll books then were networked within the precinct but were NOT connected to the outside world in no way. Has this changed since then?

DaSDGuy

I was an election judge during the last presidential election. The poll books then were networked within the precinct but were NOT connected to the outside world in no way. Has this changed since then?
Yes, it has changed. They are linking the poll books for St. Mary's County because all thirty-six precincts are being handled by only seven voting locations. All seven poll locations will have access to each other's poll books, i.e., all precincts in St Mary's County. Any voters attempting to vote in St. Mary's County that are registered to vote outside of St. Mary's County must vote a Provisional ballot. Leonardtown will confirm those ballots after all mail-in ballots are processed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPD

BernieP

Resident PIA
A few years ago, lightning took out our ABB equipment and desktop pc. We were told it would take a couple of days to get a tech out with new equipment. Too long of a wait. Went and bought our own and it worked better than before.
You can always use your own equipment. How they get you on installation is (1) connecting the right wall jacks to the line at the outside box. and (2) calling the MAC address into the office so your modem is recognized.

SandieGarry

You can always use your own equipment. How they get you on installation is (1) connecting the right wall jacks to the line at the outside box. and (2) calling the MAC address into the office so your modem is recognized.

When I connected mine, I just called ABB and told them what I was doing. The online tech helped me set it up and made sure it was working properly. This was a couple of years ago. I guess I was lucky to get a helpful tech.