Atlantic Broadband

SamSpade

I would say that that is the root of your evil. You aren't watching a recorded show you are watching the show on demand.

From what I have read Tivo's have onboard recording, about 1000 hours of SD or 150 hours of HD. Maybe it is time to clear some of the older recordings.

We only have one. This is the first one we've done.

And I think it is ALL On Demand. I learned that TiVo has something they call a Smartbox. That's kind of what it does - provides on demand.
I did however look at my bill - it does say DVR. I'm even on some kind of promotional discount for it, otherwise it would cost a lot.

SamSpade

That isnt really a smoking gun believe it or not. Streaming services like Hulu will buffer minutes in advance, you can shut off your wifi and often still have several minutes of viewing.

It is possible your latency us high and the TIVO relies on more of a "live" signal. Flat out bandwidth isnt the only component to a good internet connection.

Have you ran a speed test to check your numbers?

Go to fast.com and hit the show more info button. How does your loaded vs unloaded latency compare?

Well I am actually out of town right now. Out of state actually. I had to check Hogan's list of "do not go" states. Latency problems, I can accept.

But - you DO get the idea that a recording should not need buffering? I am not expecting a stream - I'm expecting a recording of a show recorded three nights prior.

This has been true of all our old DVRs. When the Internet goes down for the night, we all sat and watched our recordings of shows from the past week - because they were recorded. Back when we had a DVR with a disk inside.

Normally I have a high tolerance for such irritating things - just be patient and it will come through. This was awful. After 15 minutes of getting through about 30 seconds of show, I finally said "this is intolerable" and switched to Hulu.

PeoplesElbow

Well I am actually out of town right now. Out of state actually. I had to check Hogan's list of "do not go" states. Latency problems, I can accept.

But - you DO get the idea that a recording should not need buffering? I am not expecting a stream - I'm expecting a recording of a show recorded three nights prior.

This has been true of all our old DVRs. When the Internet goes down for the night, we all sat and watched our recordings of shows from the past week - because they were recorded. Back when we had a DVR with a disk inside.

Normally I have a high tolerance for such irritating things - just be patient and it will come through. This was awful. After 15 minutes of getting through about 30 seconds of show, I finally said "this is intolerable" and switched to Hulu.
Yea, local recording is pretty much a dying thing. It is easier for content providers to control as streaming.

That said Amazon and Netflix allow downloading to tablets or even laptops in tablet mode. I took a ton of Netflix and amazon stuff out on an aircraft carrier to have something to do during downtime.

Not ideal, but if you do have internet problems that often it's a possibility. If mine goes out for more than 10 minutes I either clean or make something in the kitchen.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
We only have one. This is the first one we've done.

And I think it is ALL On Demand. I learned that TiVo has something they call a Smartbox. That's kind of what it does - provides on demand.
I did however look at my bill - it does say DVR. I'm even on some kind of promotional discount for it, otherwise it would cost a lot.
When you went to watch the recorded show you had to go to a list of "my shows" or something like that, right? If no such list exists then I would say that show wasn't recorded.

SamSpade

Not ideal, but if you do have internet problems that often it's a possibility. If mine goes out for more than 10 minutes I either clean or make something in the kitchen.

Fortunately - I don't. I work from home and right now all the kids are in class online. The only time we have problems is when everyone in the nieghborhood goes down.

SamSpade

When you went to watch the recorded show you had to go to a list of "my shows" or something like that, right? If no such list exists then I would say that show wasn't recorded.

???
Yes. It shows "The Good Doctor". One of our favorite shows.
We go to the SHOW we recorded - actually two, but it's the same show - and the "recording" failed. It's not a recording.
Without Internet - should we turn off the Wi-Fi - it won't play.

I'm saying it appears that it never records. Looking at the size of the box - TiVo boxes in the store tend to be big - this is the size of a hardcover book - I'm inclined to believe there's no disk at all.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm inclined to believe there's no disk at all.
Storage has been switching to all digital, so it very likely does not have a traditional disk, but rather a very large (in bytes) digital storage, which is now very very small. Terabytes of storage in little more than a postage stamp size.

Ken King

PREMO Member
???
Yes. It shows "The Good Doctor". One of our favorite shows.
We go to the SHOW we recorded - actually two, but it's the same show - and the "recording" failed. It's not a recording.
Without Internet - should we turn off the Wi-Fi - it won't play.

I'm saying it appears that it never records. Looking at the size of the box - TiVo boxes in the store tend to be big - this is the size of a hardcover book - I'm inclined to believe there's no disk at all.
Are you saying that your system indicates - "recording failed"?

Disks are getting smaller and smaller all the time. It might not even be a real "disk", just chip sets.

SamSpade

Are you saying that your system indicates - "recording failed"?

Disks are getting smaller and smaller all the time. It might not even be a real "disk", just chip sets.

(sigh) I am saying it is impossible for it to be a recording because a recording doesn't need an Internet connection to play.
Yes, I know disks are getting smaller - I have a laptop with a large solid state drive in it bigger than my old workhorse desktop. I am familiar with that.
I've never known of a recording that can't play because you're not connected to the Internet.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I haven't called ABB in months, just been putting up with the crappy TV.

Low and behold, a service tech showed up here Wed, no phone calls in either direction. He replaced connectors in the box outside, changed connectors where the lines come into the house, changed connectors in the house.

Said they've been having calls in the area, so they were just being proactive. Hubby thought it was all great.

:elaine:

Until I told him they probably bugged the house.

Hahahahaha. Now the man is going out of his mind worrying about/looking for a bug.

HAHAHAHAHA

Ken King

PREMO Member
(sigh) I am saying it is impossible for it to be a recording because a recording doesn't need an Internet connection to play.
Yes, I know disks are getting smaller - I have a laptop with a large solid state drive in it bigger than my old workhorse desktop. I am familiar with that.
I've never known of a recording that can't play because you're not connected to the Internet.
Okay, you are NOT getting a recording failed indication. But are you actually selecting to replay the recorded content or are you somehow unknowingly selecting to on-demand view it? Seems like it is a NEW system for you so have you read the user manual for it. There are various TIVO devices out there and they are all probably different. What is your model?

PeoplesElbow

Here is a question, if th Tivo only streams why is it bigger than the TIVO mini's?

Hmmmmm I found this, the question I have now is why can't you just use a mini

Last edited:

SamSpade

Im
Okay, you are NOT getting a recording failed indication. But are you actually selecting to replay the recorded content or are you somehow unknowingly selecting to on-demand view it? Seems like it is a NEW system for you so have you read the user manual for it. There are various TIVO devices out there and they are all probably different. What is your model?
I’m out of town Dunno.

SamSpade

Here is a question, if th Tivo only streams why is it bigger than the TIVO mini's?

Hmmmmm I found this, the question I have now is why can't you just use a mini

Short answer? ABB said they couldn’t cuz of the ‘rona.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, intermittant connections issues continue. Neighbors also, but since they are older and not as constantly connected as we are, they dont see it as often. 4-5 disconnects a day, ranging from 2-15/20 minutes. Sure glad that whatever they did last time fixed it. Just called again, guy says "Let me check for modem firmware", oh god, not this again. I explain that we did that last month, and since the issue is intermittant, it's unlikely to fix this.

He says in an annoyed voice that he found new firmware for the modem, and he's going to push it and call me in an hour. Great, I tell him, but since the issue is intermittant, its most likely we wont have a connection issue in the next hour anyway. I tell him to look up the connection histor... "Sir, I cant see that". Ohboy, so we are there, are we? Says he cant call anyone out to look at the issue until he tries this first.

Can I just get a permanent pass to talk to level 2, please?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, intermittant connections issues continue. Neighbors also, but since they are older and not as constantly connected as we are, they dont see it as often. 4-5 disconnects a day, ranging from 2-15/20 minutes. Sure glad that whatever they did last time fixed it. Just called again, guy says "Let me check for modem firmware", oh god, not this again. I explain that we did that last month, and since the issue is intermittant, it's unlikely to fix this.

He says in an annoyed voice that he found new firmware for the modem, and he's going to push it and call me in an hour. Great, I tell him, but since the issue is intermittant, its most likely we wont have a connection issue in the next hour anyway. I tell him to look up the connection histor... "Sir, I cant see that". Ohboy, so we are there, are we? Says he cant call anyone out to look at the issue until he tries this first.

Sounds like the problems I was having last month have moved to your house.

Don't send it back my way.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds like the problems I was having last month have moved to your house.

Don't send it back my way.

Bah, you borrowed them from me. Been having them since March. Guy calls back, asks if we have disconnected. Nope, didnt expect that, though. He tells me he can now see a low signal level he didnt see an hour ago. Yep, I tell him, thats how it does, level goes up and down, sometimes low enough we get kicked off. He's going to get someone out Tuesday, and send a query about the "guest modem" they've had sitting in my den for a month or so. Says he never heard of just hooking a second modem in with the coax and nothing else. Back when they did it, I asked them what the second modem was going to do, they said something abount monitoring, although I'm not sure what they could see they couldnt on mine.

CRHS89

So when you call each time, it is like starting over? They are not able to go into your account and see what fixes have already been tried? If not, that is ridiculous.

glhs837

Power with Control
So when you call each time, it is like starting over? They are not able to go into your account and see what fixes have already been tried? If not, that is ridiculous.

Well, previous calls have had techs tell me they can see hundreds and hundreds of disconnects going back to the spring, also told me that they cannot share other customer information, but "homes near me" suffer from the exact same pattern of disconnects. There's something out on the main drag they dont want to get into, I suspect, as it will be costly. So it's new connectors and "the signal levels look fine now, Sir". Hopefully yhey are out of bandaids and actually have to fix it.