Attention horse folks

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
remaxrealtor said:
I'm in.....but sorry minzig, Lou is just NOT behaving ! :killingme We rode for a couple hours Sunday and I have two bruises on me belly from de horn. There were six of us and they all acted up. Two of the girls took a NASTY spill, one has quite a shiner today to prove it. My stinker was just having fun but I pushed too hard to get across a new bridge Bubby just put in and he made it clear that we WERE NOT going to do it! :wench:

I'm probably much better off on a crotch rocket!

I hope you DID get over that bridge..

R

remaxrealtor

happyappygirl said:
somebody needs to learn good solid One rein stop :whistle:
Got that already! He just keeps on backing. A good halt a bend sends him into a mean little buck, then he listens up and behaves. He's never "dangerous" so I let him be, then try it again the next time.

By the way everyone............just before he got sick (drum roll, really loud) he started crossing water!

He's very smart, I just like having fun with him more than working hard! As Pasofever would tell you, problems w/my pets are 10% pet, 90% me! :jameo:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
BS Gal said:
It was an accident.

Did ya give his tail a cool kink in it so you can ID him if you have too?

:lol:

:huggy: poor kid. i did that to my kids finger once, then snatched the ice cream cone she had in the other hand to slap on it :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
happyappygirl said:
But YOU let her do it. Meamie. :frown:
She had nothing to do with it. I thought the dog was out of the car, closed the door and the yelping commenced. I felt sooooo bad. The dog recovered quickly, especially with the baby treatment she got. She's now 14 and living the high life.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
remaxrealtor said:
Got that already! He just keeps on backing. A good halt a bend sends him into a mean little buck, then he listens up and behaves. He's never "dangerous" so I let him be, then try it again the next time.

By the way everyone............just before he got sick (drum roll, really loud) he started crossing water!

He's very smart, I just like having fun with him more than working hard! As Pasofever would tell you, problems w/my pets are 10% pet, 90% me! :jameo:

He needs to take a "VACATION" to an Amish farm for about a week :whistle:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
BS Gal said:
I only read it cause you guys are funny. I used to ride horses so I'm still interested and my co-worker is going to buy one (two if I have my choice), so I try to keep abreast of what is going on for her. If you ever rode a motorcycle, or had a desire to, you would read the motorcycle thread. I've ridden horses, wish I had the time to have one, hence I read the threads here. I'm living vicariously through you guys. :huggy:

BSGal, I think that I am speaking for everybody when I say "there is always an extra, come join us". I have a great, sweet QH gelding you are welcome to come ride. So you dont have to live thru us...have fun with us.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
remaxrealtor said:

ahhh see that's why he continues to do it again and again. If you correct him until he stops that nasty little buck WHEN he does it, and don't "let him be until the next time" there prolly won't BE a next time.

For instance, if i'm on a young horse that gets stupid when someone runs by me while i make him stand still, i call that person BACK, and make them run back and forth in front of us, until my horse STOPS being stupid and listens to me. He gets the idea he's not suppose to do that, and doesn't DO it again. Desensitize him to it. Does that make sense?

R

remaxrealtor

persimmoncf said:
BSGal, I think that I am speaking for everybody when I say "there is always an extra, come join us". I have a great, sweet QH gelding you are welcome to come ride. So you dont have to live thru us...have fun with us.
AWWWWWW! :huggy: Well said!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
BS Gal said:
She had nothing to do with it. I thought the dog was out of the car, closed the door and the yelping commenced. I felt sooooo bad. The dog recovered quickly, especially with the baby treatment she got. She's now 14 and living the high life.
shhhhhh...just play along.

PASO YOU let her slam her doggie's tail in the door. I'm tellin!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
She has you over a barrel..one wrong move and she calls animal control on you.. :lmao:
I have never called animal control on anyone. You aren't seriously accusing me of this, are you?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
BS Gal said:
I have never called animal control on anyone. You aren't seriously accusing me of this, are you?

Read the post...I said your dog is living the high life..because..she has you over a barrel..one wrong move and she (your dog) calls animal control (for slamming her tail in the door) so she lives high on the hog and has it made..not the same when you have to splain it..now give me some green for thinking I would say that to you.. :smack:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
BS Gal said:

i think she means the DOG calls animal control on YOU, or did the dog take over the keyboard? :lol:

R

remaxrealtor

happyappygirl said:
ahhh see that's why he continues to do it again and again. If you correct him until he stops that nasty little buck WHEN he does it, and don't "let him be until the next time" there prolly won't BE a next time.

For instance, if i'm on a young horse that gets stupid when someone runs by me while i make him stand still, i call that person BACK, and make them run back and forth in front of us, until my horse STOPS being stupid and listens to me. He gets the idea he's not suppose to do that, and doesn't DO it again. Desensitize him to it. Does that make sense?
Sure does. When I got him from Paso, he was always quiet. Then someone at my first barn did something to him. 180 change in a day!

Now, he has this fit every time I mount, then it's over and he's quiet. Great on the trail, but you are RIGHT, I need to be more assertive when he tries to say no. What would you do about the backing up?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pasofever said:
Read the post...I said your dog is living the high life..because..she has you over a barrel..one wrong move and she (your dog) calls animal control (for slamming her tail in the door) so she lives high on the hog and has it made..not the same when you have to splain it..now give me some green for thinking I would say that to you.. :smack:

Okay, duh. I just sent her down the stairs and told her to get in her crate. We don't even close the door on it, but she knows she needs to be in there. The look she gives me is priceless. It's like an "oh, mom" look. This will be our last dog that we ever have.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
remaxrealtor said:
Sure does. When I got him from Paso, he was always quiet. Then someone at my first barn did something to him. 180 change in a day!

Now, he has this fit every time I mount, then it's over and he's quiet. Great on the trail, but you are RIGHT, I need to be more assertive when he tries to say no. What would you do about the backing up?

I plow rein, I open my hands wide, where his eyes can see them, and encourage him forward with my body movements (leaning forward for forward motion) squeezing or kicking his sides, and kissing, all indications we are going FORWARD. The moment he takes one step forward, "OH GOOD BOY!!" then when he backs again or stops, IMMEDIATELY go back to the forward movement signals. If he's throwing his hips or head to one side or the other when backing, my wide oepn hands go into motion, tipping his nose INTO the DIRECTION i want to go, he sees my hand in his peripheral vision, which "closes the door" to that side. This is strictly for backing up.

Stopping and bulking is are totally different response.