Australian woman is fatally shot by Minneapolis police; bodycams were off

Inkd

Actually, the reason for the hiring of the somali officers was the fact that Minneapolis has a somali gang problem. The somali gangs prey mostly on other somalis and the community rarely reported crimes to MPD. The hope was that hiring officers who speak the language and are more approachable for the community was a way to get a grip on the problem. It hasn't worked out that way.

It may never work out that way.

There are many ethnic groups who will never talk to cops because where they came from, if there were cops, they were no better than the criminals.

officeguy

It may never work out that way.

There are many ethnic groups who will never talk to cops because where they came from, if there were cops, they were no better than the criminals.

The somali community feels that american police is useless. In Somalia, if they hand a thief to the cops, the police will administer definitive punishment on the spot. Here they see the same criminal the next day after the crook has posted bail.

Inkd

The somali community feels that american police is useless. In Somalia, if they hand a thief to the cops, the police will administer definitive punishment on the spot. Here they see the same criminal the next day after the crook has posted bail.

Unfortunately it's not the police that are useless, it's the court system. But, I get their frustration. Honestly, I never pictured Somalia as having an effective police force or criminal punishment system. Most under developed nations are seriously lacking in that department.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, given that for almost 30 years or better (I think what passed for govt collapsed not long after I visited in 1988) it's not really been a country but a collection of warlords vying back and forth for control over chunks of it, yeah, authority of any kind isnt a thing they trust. And I get having Somalis on the force, no problem with having a force that can culturally interface with the folks being policed. But the key here is that, in the interests of that, you forget that you need them to be police first, real trained and qualified police, then you cant drop the standards to get them. Make them work for the job, don't give it to them to have tokens.

Clem72

Well, given that for almost 30 years or better (I think what passed for govt collapsed not long after I visited in 1988) it's not really been a country but a collection of warlords

You visited in '88? Did you meet Sally Struthers?

glhs837

Power with Control
You visited in '88? Did you meet Sally Struthers?

Nope. We landed, spent the night at "Govt House" had an hour the next morning carefully supervised to do some trinket shopping while the Admiral did his littoral site visit with whomever, then loaded up and got the hell out.

Clem72

Nope. We landed, spent the night at "Govt House" had an hour the next morning carefully supervised to do some trinket shopping while the Admiral did his littoral site visit with whomever, then loaded up and got the hell out.

Ah. I was hoping you might have some crazy story about singing Do They Know It's Christmas with Bananarama. But I guess that was Ethiopia not Somalia (getting my famine stricken east African countries mixed up).

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah. I was hoping you might have some crazy story about singing Do They Know It's Christmas with Bananarama. But I guess that was Ethiopia not Somalia (getting my famine stricken east African countries mixed up).

Yeah, only crazy part was that our diplomatic clearance was good for one hour only. If you didn't hit the window, turn around and go back to Diego Garcia. Seems they were very precise about turning the old Soviet sourced anti-aircraft missile systems off for that window only. Our briefer said that even so, the risk was low, as out of the last three launches, one had not left the launcher before blowing, another had cleared the launcher by only a short time before self destruction, and the third did make its full flight. Also no night landings allowed, as turning on the blue runway lights would attract tribesmen who would come kill the "demons" with clubs.

officeguy

imagine that, we allowed the importation of Somali criminals

Among the 30,000 or so that live in MSP there are a couple of hundred crooks. The majority of them are what makes the wheels turn in the twin cities these days. They just want to work and be left in peace like the rest of us .

Chris0nllyn

Update:
Mohamed Noor, one of the two responding officers, shot her through the window of his patrol vehicle, killing her. He has declined to be interviewed by investigators.

Hours later, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension obtained a search warrant for Damond's home - a decision that later sparked outrage among the victim's neighbors and other members of the community.

Agents checked the residence on Washburn Avenue for blood, hair, guns, ammunition, knives, drugs and 'writings.' They took nothing from the home.

Investigators have issued a warrant to look through officer Noor's phone, as well as the phone of his partner, Matthew Harrity, Newscorp reports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-home-Minneapolis-woman-killed-officer.html

Chris0nllyn

"We are apprehensive that perhaps the BCA [Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension] has not fulfilled its promise," John Ruszczyk, the father of Justine Damond, said at a news conference in Sydney this morning.

Ruszczyk's comments came just days after Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman was recorded on video last week telling activists that he didn't have enough evidence to charge Noor because investigators "haven't done their job."

Noor, who has not been charged, has refused to speak to investigators.

His attorney, Thomas Plunkett, said he is "just trying to do everything I can to make sure that Officer Noor is treated fairly in this process," The Associated Press reported Monday.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/australia...ng-police-143203609--abc-news-topstories.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said in a statement today it is "committed to conducting a fair, impartial and thorough investigation as we gather the facts and evidence in this case."

This is a ####ing lie. Ms. Diamond was killed five months ago, and they're trying to say they're working on it? Bull####. It's pretty clear that that cop shot her in cold blood, otherwise they'd have called it an accident, settled up, and moved on. If this ever gets really followed up on, they're going to find dirty cops and dirty administration in this police department, you watch and see. Right now they're stalling for time, hoping the public will forget. The media needs to take up the cause and verbally abuse this cop shop until we get some answers.