Authentic Mexican food

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I see it all the time on here, the complaining about the lack of "real" Mexican restaurants. Well, here's one in Port Arthur, TX:

DSCN5900.JPG

It's typical of authentic Mexican restaurants around the country. And here's the neighborhood they're usually in:

DSCN5904.JPG
DSCN5902.JPG
DSCN5905.JPG

Typically a scary ghetto that you'd never want to go near. I mean, Monello and I eat at places like this - you should see the 'hood that boasts Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville - but most people who say they want authentic ethnic food don't really.

BTW, those streets are empty because the town is pretty much abandoned. Crumbling buildings with busted out windows. But I'll bet that Mexican place has some seriously good chow. Too bad we were still full from breakfast.

transporter

So what's your point?

You didn't go in. You didn't get carryout. So you have no idea if the food is any good.

Good ethnic food doesn't come from a chain restaurant. Good ethnic food comes from a mom and pop joint.

Oh your point is that ethnic (i.e. immigrant) areas of town are all run down and dilapidated?

BTW...here is a list of Mexican restaurants in Port Arthur TX: http://visitportarthurtx.com/blog/planning-tools/restaurants/mexicantex-mex/

Here are some other places to go for "local flavor" in Port Arthur: http://visitportarthurtx.com/blog/planning-tools/local-flavor/

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So what's your point?

You didn't go in. You didn't get carryout. So you have no idea if the food is any good.

Good ethnic food doesn't come from a chain restaurant. Good ethnic food comes from a mom and pop joint.

Oh your point is that ethnic (i.e. immigrant) areas of town are all run down and dilapidated?

BTW...here is a list of Mexican restaurants in Port Arthur TX: http://visitportarthurtx.com/blog/planning-tools/restaurants/mexicantex-mex/

Here are some other places to go for "local flavor" in Port Arthur: http://visitportarthurtx.com/blog/planning-tools/local-flavor/

We can add "fraud" to the list of your personal attributes.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hubs and I hit a Cuban restaurant like this once. It was so authentic that they had no menu. You want lunch? We’ll hook you up. Don’t remember what we ate, but I do remember it being an enjoyable experience.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hubs and I hit a Cuban restaurant like this once. It was so authentic that they had no menu. You want lunch? We’ll hook you up. Don’t remember what we ate, but I do remember it being an enjoyable experience.

One of my ex-husbands and I hit up a crumbling mess outside of San Antonio that served one thing: enchiladas. Oh, and beer so cold it burned my hand when I picked up the bottle. Those were some damn fine enchiladas.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
One of my ex-husbands and I hit up a crumbling mess outside of San Antonio that served one thing: enchiladas. Oh, and beer so cold it burned my hand when I picked up the bottle. Those were some damn fine enchiladas.

Some of the best food I e ever eaten has been off the beaten path. I remember taking our catch of the day into a little Cuban hole in the wall in Key West, and they cleaned it and cooked it. To show our appreciation, we all also ordered meals from the menu, and tipped too much. That was a great week in the keys. We were on the boat every day.

black dog

Free America
If you want good authentic Spanish food, swing into the largest construction site in town at lunch time. Look for lines behind SUV's like Explorer and Excursions, these will be local Spanish women selling lunch out of the back of their trucks.
I had some great lunchs in my time spent with crews and customers while the big hotels were being built in National Harbor.

Also there is a great Tamale place on the west side of Indy called The Tamale Place.
It's been on Guys, diners and dives. There tacos and Tamales are Top Shizzle Worthy.

black dog

Free America
Some of the best food I e ever eaten has been off the beaten path. I remember taking our catch of the day into a little Cuban hole in the wall in Key West, and they cleaned it and cooked it. To show our appreciation, we all also ordered meals from the menu, and tipped too much. That was a great week in the keys. We were on the boat every day.

I miss breakfast at " Pepes " and The Wrecker Race.. oh, and Fat Tuesdays.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you want good authentic Spanish food, swing into the largest construction site in town at lunch time. Look for lines behind SUV's like Explorer and Excursions, these will be local Spanish women selling lunch out of the back of their trucks.
I had some great lunchs in my time spent with crews and customers while the big hotels were being built in National Harbor.

Also there is a great Tamale place on the west side of Indy called The Tamale Place.
It's been on Guys, diners and dives. There tacos and Tamales are Top Shizzle Worthy.

We look for trucks that have a line of whatever ethnicity of people match the food.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I miss breakfast at " Pepes " and The Wrecker Race.. oh, and Fat Tuesdays.

La LaChanera, Full Moon, that little crepe place, cant remember the name. There used to be a lot of good food joints, back in the day. Don’t know about now, we just stopped going. Key West has become a #### hole.

black dog

Free America
La LaChanera, Full Moon, that little crepe place, cant remember the name. There used to be a lot of good food joints, back in the day. Don’t know about now, we just stopped going. Key West has become a #### hole.

I agree... I thought about moving there in the early ninety's, my liver objected.

PeoplesElbow

Being authentic and being good are not necessarily intertwined. I have had some authentic food that really wasn't very good and some that was and vice versa.

Just like here the average person from whereverthehell eats crap a lot of the time too.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I agree... I thought about moving there in the early ninety's, my liver objected.

After living there for 6 yrs, I’m surprised my liver let me go back to visit. Fishin’, divin’, eatin’ And drinkin’. Ain’t nothin’ else to do.

luvmygdaughters

When I was a kid, maybe 11 or 12, my father used to go this bbq shack on 925 in Waldorf. It was in the parking lot of a liquor store I think. It was basically a tent with some smokers and grills. He would get ribs, bbq chicken and something I never heard of before than, a bbq rib sandwich, served on two slices of Wonder Bread. Anyway, the ribs and chicken were delicious and so was the corn on the cob, but the place looked like a homeless persons campsite!! LOL I think it was called Pat and GG's.