Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims

Elle

Happy Camper!
Wickedwrench said:
Should I take the payoff or get a legal eagle involved?:shrug:
Depends on how much the payoff is vs. what it could be, remember if you gamble there is a chance you could loose:shrug:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Wickedwrench said:
Depends on how badly you were hurt, car destroyed etc. Hiring a lawyer will cost you 33% of your settlement. Also lawyers will send you to Chiropractors etc. Another way to generate more money. They won't even really work on your case til the Dr. clears you. It's a money making sysytem.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Wickedwrench said:
usually initial consultations are free, but a contigincy lawsuit will get the lawyer 30% of your settlement and take quit a while.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
I had 1600 in bills and two months of limping around with a severely bruised lower intestine from a seatbelt. Got the catscans to prove it.

They want to pay 600 in pain and suffering.:ohwell:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Wickedwrench said:
I had 1600 in bills and two months of limping around with a severely bruised lower intestine from a seatbelt. Got the catscans to prove it.

Tell the insurance company that you're on the fence about accepting the settlement offer and that you're considering consulting an attorney. They'll make you a better offer either on the spot or a couple days later.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
When was the accident? Don't let the statute of limitations run out on you. Also, ask for everything in writing.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Wickedwrench said:
any time lost from work? have them cover that also even if you had vacation time to cover it. You used it due to their clients screw up.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Wickedwrench said:

All doctors bills, plus mileage to & from the doctor, physical therapy, etc., and time off from work. Maybe throw in a little extra for me, too. :biggrin:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
Chasey_Lane said:
All doctors bills, plus mileage to & from the doctor, physical therapy, etc., and time off from work. Maybe throw in a little extra for me, too. :biggrin:

you should throw some extra in for all of us, Down with the MAN!! lol

j/k

kinda

:lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Chasey_Lane said:

Justify every possible expense you can think of, in writing and they should pay it. Then ask for a grand, take what they offer, and run.

My wife had about $6K in bills, expenses, and lost wages. They offered us $8K. I got two free consults from a lawyer. He told me that we could get $20K, but it would take two years, and after paying his fee as well as compensating the witnesses, We'd have about $8K left. He told me to ask for $10K and take what they offered. We ended up with $8500.

T

tikipirate

DO NOT mention a lawyer to the insurance company just yet. (You are sueing their insurance company, right?) As soon as you mention lawyer it is out of the claims adjuster's hands and goes to the legal department.

Add up all medical bills, regardless if they were covered by health/auto insurance or not.

Add up all time missed for work due to this injury, regardless if it was covered by sick leave or not.

Add medical bills and missed work and multiply by 7. This would be the high end. A multiple of 4 would be an appropriate amount for a soft tissue injury with internal health ramifications.

Write a matter-of-fact letter to the insurance company in the following format:

para 1: Restate the facts of the accident.
(On 28 November 2005 I was operating my vehicle in a legal and prudent manner when your insured, Hugh G. Rection negligently pulled out in my path in violation of motor vehicle code 1234.)

para 2: State cost of medical bills. Include copies of bills as an enclosure.

para 3: State cost of lost wages. Include copies of timecards or other statements as an enclosure.

para 4: Outline any non-tangible difficulties or losses you suffered as a result of this accident, e.g. missing a family event, not being able to play sports, have sex, etc.

para 5: Summation of above, tying it all in to the negligent behavior of the insured. Demand the amount calculated using 7 as the multiple.
(Due to the reckless behavior of your insured, I suffered physical injury directly resulting in a financial loss of $2000 as well as emotional trauma and the inability to fish/hunt/screw. I am demanding $14000 in compensation.)

para 6: Close, stating a date which you expect to hear a response.

Expect an offer much lower than your number, then horse trade from there. Hopefully you will come close to the 4X multiple.

If they don't want to play, then it is attorney time.

MMDad

Lem Putt
tikipirate said:
DO NOT mention a lawyer to the insurance company just yet. (You are sueing their insurance company, right?) As soon as you mention lawyer it is out of the claims adjuster's hands and goes to the legal department.

Add up all medical bills, regardless if they were covered by health/auto insurance or not.

Add up all time missed for work due to this injury, regardless if it was covered by sick leave or not.

Add medical bills and missed work and multiply by 7. This would be the high end. A multiple of 4 would be an appropriate amount for a soft tissue injury with internal health ramifications.

Write a matter-of-fact letter to the insurance company in the following format:

para 1: Restate the facts of the accident.
(On 28 November 2005 I was operating my vehicle in a legal and prudent manner when your insured, Hugh G. Rection negligently pulled out in my path in violation of motor vehicle code 1234.)

para 2: State cost of medical bills. Include copies of bills as an enclosure.

para 3: State cost of lost wages. Include copies of timecards or other statements as an enclosure.

para 4: Outline any non-tangible difficulties or losses you suffered as a result of this accident, e.g. missing a family event, not being able to play sports, have sex, etc.

para 5: Summation of above, tying it all in to the negligent behavior of the insured. Demand the amount calculated using 7 as the multiple.
(Due to the reckless behavior of your insured, I suffered physical injury directly resulting in a financial loss of $2000 as well as emotional trauma and the inability to fish/hunt/screw. I am demanding $14000 in compensation.)

para 6: Close, stating a date which you expect to hear a response.

Expect an offer much lower than your number, then horse trade from there. Hopefully you will come close to the 4X multiple.

If they don't want to play, then it is attorney time.

Decent tactic, but leave sex out. You are in Maryland, and that isn't a factor.

MMDad said:
Decent tactic, but leave sex out. You are in Maryland, and that isn't a factor.
You mean if Pete still lived in Maine he'd be able to sue someone cause he's not having sex...:confused:

MMDad

Lem Putt
kwillia said:
You mean if Pete still lived in Maine he'd be able to sue someone cause he's not having sex...:confused:

I don't know about Maine, but in Maryland, guys have no right to the poon. Maybe he could sue there, but here he's just one of the blue ball crowd.