Auto Insurance

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
You do realize you are breaking the law when you let him drive your vehicle, right? And you realize you will be responsible out of your personal income to cover anything and everything should he be at the wheel and an accident occurs, right?

But she trusts him and "it is everyone else on the road I don't".

LazySmurfette

I do understand that, and I am aware that I am financially responsible for everything. But at this point in time, we don't even live in the same state so it isn't a real concern anymore.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
My husband and I have Geico. I used to hear a lot of bad things about them a loooong time ago, but not anymore. We switched from Allstate to Nationwide (they were cheaper), then about a year later got a quote with Geico for much cheaper, with higher coverages. I've had to file 2 claims in the past two years for stupid deer damage, and our insurance has never gone up. Both times I filed my claim online and was contacted the next business day to set up a time/place to bring my vehicle to for repairs. They are awesome! Best part is I don't have an agent, so I don't have to wait around for them to call me back about something.:yay:

My brother had Allstate, and he recently switched to Geico too. Saved him a bunch of money and got higher limits as well.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I am with State Farm, I have an exclusion policy on two of my vehicles. My fiance got a DWI two years ago and my insurance was going to triple with him on it, so we both signed forms stating that IF he was to drive either of my cars and gets into an accident, I have no insurance. I said fine by me. He has driven my newer car a handful of times, and I am normally with him. I do trust him, it is everyone else on the road I don't. But his biggest tiff with SF was that they were raising my rates nearly triple, and he has Progressive and it only went up $15/month. But I love my agent and am going to have a hard time leaving them when I move in July...

I have heard good things about Erie though. But that they are quick to drop you if you file a claim. That is just word of mouth though.

Why are you letting him drive the car when you signed something saying you wouldn't.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I do understand that, and I am aware that I am financially responsible for everything. But at this point in time, we don't even live in the same state so it isn't a real concern anymore.

You're more than finacially responsible here. In your car, he's an uninsured motorist and that is illegal.

lovinmaryland

lovingmaryland - she was told yesterday when she paid her bill she would be drop by August, (that's when her next bill is due) because she has a licenced uninsured driver, her daughter living in her home. She has everything with State Farm, home, car and her son has his policy there too. Her 22 year old son NO TICKETS NO ACCIDENTS, that's superb in my book. Her husband wants to stay with State Farm and will probably pay the 120.00 just to not deal with this. Out of 25 years 1 claim for the house and that was the ice storm and 1 car accident.

Bottom line, every insurance company is going to require that a youthful driver is rated on a vehicle in the household. I am sure your friend was shocked when she got the rate difference to do so. But look at it this way, how long has her daughter had her license and NOT been rated on the policy? I think it is safe to say that 99% of people know when their child gets their license they need to be added to their policy. Some just opt not to do so because they know it will be a hefty increase.

She can either add her daughter, sign the exclusion, or get dropped.

keepsmiling

Bottom line, every insurance company is going to require that a youthful driver is rated on a vehicle in the household. I am sure your friend was shocked when she got the rate difference to do so. But look at it this way, how long has her daughter had her license and NOT been rated on the policy? I think it is safe to say that 99% of people know when their child gets their license they need to be added to their policy. Some just opt not to do so because they know it will be a hefty increase.

First she is going to call another State Farm agent about the exclusion. She called her agent after I told her about your post. There is no other reason dropping her but the uninsured daughter. She's willing to pay the extra 120.00 every 6 months just to end this. Let's see what another State Farm agent has to say. Her agent said they do not have an exclusion. I'll call myself. This has become interesting. her daughter wasn't at home when she was licensed.

ReadingTheNews

We have State Farm, and the part I bolded is what we were told when our daughter got her license.
WRT the 'hefty increase', that is true. We're on a monthly payment plan, so maybe keepsmiling's friend could look into something like that, just to sort of spread out the payments and ease the impact of the increase in premiums....?

keepsmiling

Wow! I just spoke with another agent. She said I have to go thru my agent. I asked how do I go about switching agents, again she said I would have to speak with my agent. I can see why my friend is so frustrated.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have all my insurance through Bahr Insurance (Erie) very reasonable and Matt seems very personable. 301-737-3038.

I do also.....NOW. Matt's a good guy. He seems to want to work WITH you and not just make the company money. Although, my Dad talked to him and couldn't switch to Erie to insure HIS "fleet" of 3 autos a 2010, a 2001 and a '68. So, he's stuck with :cough: insurance.

lovinmaryland

Wow! I just spoke with another agent. She said I have to go thru my agent. I asked how do I go about switching agents, again she said I would have to speak with my agent. I can see why my friend is so frustrated.

So is this for you or your friend :lol:

The reason this is, is because not every policy is accessible from each agents office. So only your agent will be able to access your policies and personal information.

It is correct the only way to switch agents is to make a request through your agents office.

keepsmiling

So is this for you or your friend :lol:

The reason this is, is because not every policy is accessible from each agents office. So only your agent will be able to access your policies and personal information.

It is correct the only way to switch agents is to make a request through your agents office.

It's for my friend, I called because she's at work and now I was getting interested, well nosey. lol I can't call state farm and say my friend is having a problem.....

but thank YOU for your help, you have always been nice to people on here.

lovinmaryland

It's for my friend, I called because she's at work and now I was getting interested, well nosey. lol I can't call state farm and say my friend is having a problem.....

but thank YOU for your help, you have always been nice to people on here.

No problem, I think the easiest thing for her would be to go into the office and ask to speak directly w/ the agent. There is no need to switch agents when her agent may be able to handle things.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Maybe your friend should call State Farm directly and get some info instead of their agent. If an agent on here is saying they do have exclusion policies but her agent is saying different I would think the agent just wants the money.

It was our agent that advised us, and he's with State Farm.

BOP

I am with State Farm, I have an exclusion policy on two of my vehicles. My fiance got a DWI two years ago and my insurance was going to triple with him on it, so we both signed forms stating that IF he was to drive either of my cars and gets into an accident, I have no insurance. I said fine by me. He has driven my newer car a handful of times, and I am normally with him. I do trust him, it is everyone else on the road I don't. But his biggest tiff with SF was that they were raising my rates nearly triple, and he has Progressive and it only went up $15/month. But I love my agent and am going to have a hard time leaving them when I move in July...

I have heard good things about Erie though. But that they are quick to drop you if you file a claim. That is just word of mouth though.

Unsolicited advice: dump the fiance unless/until he's been sober for a year and a day, minimum. Alcoholic's rule of thumb: 1 DUI equals more DUI's.