Automakers Cave To Biden’s Electric Car Dreams, And Ignore Their Own Customers

blacklabman

glhs837

Power with Control

PeoplesElbow

Nothing wrong with being a man :)
No, what I was getting at is I don't know a single woman that would want to bother with charging, finding a place to charge etc. It is more of a geeky man thing.

I would set up the electrical service in my garage, but I know many don't want to.

Did you read that post I linked by the guy who was fed up with Tesla and went to Toyota? That was the target demographic, wealthy and geeky.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, what I was getting at is I don't know a single woman that would want to bother with charging, finding a place to charge etc. It is more of a geeky man thing.

I would set up the electrical service in my garage, but I know many don't want to.

Nice if the car just tells you not only where the nearest charger is, but the current status of each plug, how many users there are and how long it will take you to charge. I think most who would buy them would, its under a grand, and lots of places have subsidies to add them to your house to make it ever cheaper. And one you've done that, over 95% of most peoples "refueling" needs are met without even leaving the house. No need to visit a gas station again....... And the stats back me up, with over 80% of charging being done on home chargers.

One issue is misinformation. Lots of people just accept the idea that all home charging is level 1 120 volt super slow. But the level 2 I spoke of doesnt cost much to add and allows a much faster charge.

Here in MD, you can apply for a grant that pays up to $700 or 40% of your home charger install. Agree or disagree, that money is there.

Hijinx

Harley is making an electric motorcycle now, but I don't think it will sell very well.
Who wants a Harley that goes SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PeoplesElbow

Nice if the car just tells you not only where the nearest charger is, but the current status of each plug, how many users there are and how long it will take you to charge. I think most who would buy them would, its under a grand, and lots of places have subsidies to add them to your house to make it ever cheaper. And one you've done that, over 95% of most peoples "refueling" needs are met without even leaving the house. No need to visit a gas station again....... And the stats back me up, with over 80% of charging being done on home chargers.

One issue is misinformation. Lots of people just accept the idea that all home charging is level 1 120 volt super slow. But the level 2 I spoke of doesnt cost much to add and allows a much faster charge.

Here in MD, you can apply for a grant that pays up to $700 or 40% of your home charger install. Agree or disagree, that money is there.

I think the early adopters are of quite a different mindset than the general public.

I'd wager most of the early adopters are likely to have star wars toys and model trains.

When I told the ole lady I was gonna buy a hybrid the first thing she did was snarl up her nose and say "do you have to charge it?" That is the general public.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think the early adopters are of quite a different mindset than the general public.

I'd wager most of the early adopters are likely to have star wars toys and model trains.

When I told the ole lady I was gonna buy a hybrid the first thing she did was snarl up her nose and say "do you have to charge it?" That is the general public.

See, I think we are past that early adopter point. With a half million sold just last year from just one maker, and on track to sell another 740-850K this year, again, from just one maker, and as you pointed out, others are joining the party now. One thing most don't consider is the accumulative effect of all those new EVs on the road. Each one normalizes them more and more. Virtually every sale makes a convert, who then pitches it to friends and family. Like us SRT folks use to say those deciding between the "tame" Hemi and the SRT version, don't test drive one, or you will have to get the SRT. I think the general public is a bit more open minded these days as exposure increases.

jrt_ms1995

Harley is making an electric motorcycle now, but I don't think it will sell very well.
Who wants a Harley that goes SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Do they offer an add-on oil drip tank for those wanting more of the authentic Harley experience?

jrt_ms1995

Although it might have cost you another black eye, you could have responded "You know how to plug in the crock pot, don't you?"

This response I don't get. Other than finding a place to charge, which isn't a problem at home one way (fast) or another (slow) where most charging will take place, it has to be much less of a physical bother than pumping gas. No smelly hands, either. You simply plug it in, go into the kitchen and make Elbow a sandwich and get him a beer, then go do the laundry and ironing. I've never done it, but it is that simple, isn't it? And, it's the same away from home except for the time involved (and the finding of a charger), right?

Feel free, PeoplesElbow, to use my words should you need to explain this to your wife. :)

OmyGawd

Didn't the head a$$hat in California outlaw the sales of gas powered cars by the year 2035? I thought htere were severasl states that were going to do that in order to satisfy the Squad's Green New Deal?

glhs837

Power with Control
Didn't the head a$$hat in California outlaw the sales of gas powered cars by the year 2035? I thought htere were severasl states that were going to do that in order to satisfy the Squad's Green New Deal?

Yep, sure did, and I think that's wrong.

glhs837

Power with Control
Saw this today and found it interesting.

In my experience women don't want to bother charge anything that doesn't go bzzzzzzz.

How many Tesla owners are women vs men?

Mostly men. And that's that same study we talked about earlier. Seems it focussed on folks who bought between 2012 and 2018. Needless to say, been a lot of changes in infrastructure since 2014