Azerbaijani / Armenia - Should We Care

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Azerbaijan Strikes Ballistic Missile Sites In Armenia Amid Hadrat Standoff

Nato Allies Square Off - Turkey on one side, France on the other, Russia somewhere in the Mix .... should the US get involved or let Europe sort themselves out.

Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict threatens to draw Russia, Turkey into fight

One of Eastern Europe’s longest frozen conflicts has exploded into a hot war in recent days, with clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the disputed enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh killing dozens of people and threatening to drag nearby Turkey and Russia into a direct military confrontation.

While Moscow has long backed Christian Armenia and Ankara has openly supported the largely Muslim Azerbaijan, regional analysts say the situation has grown more complex and dangerous recently amid escalating Turkey-Russia tension on other fronts — from Syria to Libya and the wider Eastern Mediterranean.

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict has also become increasingly tied to Moscow-Ankara friction over oil and gas pipelines running through the area. And, with the U.S. and the European Union struggling to wield influence, concerns are rising over the prospect of an all-out regional war that could draw in bigger players on both sides.

The Exploitation of Turkish Nationalism in the Armenian-“Azerbaijani” War

As the signal-to-noise ratio decreases in the reporting of events surrounding the September 27 Azerbaijani assault on the Armenian-inhabited region of Nagorno-Karabakh, a much more surreptitious current has received virtually no reporting: Iran. Influential think tanks generate their well-crafted equivocation and prevarication, never really following the evidence, and keeping readers cleverly occupied and furious at claims such as “there have been some reports of Jihadists being recruited by and transported to the region by Turkey,” when it is not only clear they have been recruited, with videos of scores being slaughtered by Armenian forces and transcripts of radio transmissions in Arabic suspiciously ignored.

After last July’s border flare-up, with its display of gross Azerbaijani military incompetence, Turkey proclaimed active support for Azerbaijan. Within days of the flare-up’s subsiding, Turkey began war games in Azerbaijan on Armenia’s borders. Turkey never brought home its advisors, trainers, or equipment. Turkey actively recruited and transported Libyan and Syrian Jihadists over Georgian airspace into Azerbaijan to act as cannon fodder in place of Azerbaijan soldiers. One need only peruse flightradar24’s archives to verify this activity. Turkey’s F-16s and AWACS have participated in fighting Armenians. On September 30, the Turkish military assumed control of Azerbaijan’s Air Force. On October 10, an elite force of some two hundred Turkish soldiers attacked an Armenian town many hours after the recent humanitarian cease-fire was to have commenced. Turkish soldiers are embedded within the Azerbaijani army and its command and control.

Rather than deter Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s neo-Ottoman designs, some regional and world powers appear to have used his Nazi-like dreams in their own interests. Just as Jihadists that are fighting against Syria’s Bashar al-Assad can be useful idiots in the short-term, Turkey has been directly encouraged twice to increase its recent expansionist actions. The first was when US President Trump gave Erdogan the green light to enter Northern Syria, which is now under Turkish occupation. The second was when US Secretary of State Pompeo described the current Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict as one over real estate, interpreted by the Turks as another green light. Without even mentioning Turkish actions against Armenians, NATO’s official website posted, “Turkey is a valued NATO Ally” in its report on NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg’s October 5 visit to Turkey. This comes on the heels of Erdogan’s vow, in a July 14 governmental address, “to complete what their ancestors began, this time in the Caucasus,” Erdogan was referring to the 1915 Turkish genocide of the Armenians.

UglyBear

My personal opinion is biased: my people have fought against Turkish subjugation for centuries, and I personally like Armenians, they are my brethren in Christ as part of Eastern Christianity.

Back in late 1980s- early 1990s, Azeris committed heinous crimes against ethnic Armenians who lived in Azerbaijani Soviet Republic (gang rapes of children, mass castrations, fun stuff like that — your basic Muslim tools of war). I have no doubt they will do the same if they overrun NK.

There are already too many sides at play there - Russia, Iran, Turkey, France for some reason .

I hope Trump will keep us out of it, and at most send Armenians weapons. Not a drop of American blood should be spilled over it.

pontificator

Eh, the U.S. is too busy with elections to care much about what goes on in lands far away. Few know where either country is located.

Hijinx

This is the first I have heard of this. We are also not getting any news on our ships sent near China or anything hat the Chinese are doing to increase their power. Why? Because we have two political parties so tied up with attacking and defending that all we hear from the media is the election.

Too many Americans have no idea what is going on inn the rest of the world thanks to media bias.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well it doesn't surprise me which side Turkey would pick. I worked with enough people from Turkey to know how to ruffle their feathers, one was to mention the Armenian massacre. Also to see Iran pick a side, dah.
Interesting situation for NATO and Russia. Turkey is a member of NATO, but also has bought military equipment from Russia, most recently a sophisticated air defense system.
Sorry, I'd go with Armenia, and tell Turkey to stand down. They are already having their own pissing contest with the Greeks.
AGAIN

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On September 27, a century-old conflict reignited when Armenia’s Muslim-majority neighbor, Azerbaijan, launched an unprovoked military incursion into the ethnic, indigenous-Armenian populated enclave of Artsakh better known by its Russian-Persian name of Nagorno-Karabakh. The coordinated attack, involving artillery and aerial strikes, targeted civilian settlements, placing the region’s capital Stepanakert in its crosshairs.

According to the latest report from the Defense Ministry of Artsakh, Armenia’s death toll continues to clime, exceeding 604 people. Azerbaijan has not reported on its casualties.

Shortly after the attack began, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey announced his full support of Azerbaijan and their campaign to conquer ethnic Armenian territory, calling for Armenia to withdraw from the disputed region.

Erdogan’s support for Azerbaijan’s attack goes beyond vocal enthusiasm. Since the fighting began, Turkey has armed and deployed Syrian mercenaries including Islamic terrorists, actions which were confirmed by Syrian President, Bashar Al-Assad. The Turkish state have denied such involvement, despite further photographic evidence of Turkey supplying Azerbaijan’s air force with F-16 Viper fighter jets.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know anything about this and can't pick a side. The only thing I do know is that getting involved in these things tends to bite us in the ass, so we should stay out of it.

We should build ourselves up so that no crazies dare **** with us, and then let them squabble amongst themselves. We have our own problems here at home and that's what we should be focusing on.

The Left, no doubt, will be screaming for Trump to DO SOMETHING!! :jameo: But of course if he steps in they'll start screaming about US imperialism or somesuch. Although he seems to have a knack for getting these people to stop being aholes, so maybe he sets up a summit or something to hammer out a peace deal. But we're coming up on an election that he needs to be focused on, so Armenia and the whatevers are going to have to wait.

Hijinx

I don't know anything about this and can't pick a side. The only thing I do know is that getting involved in these things tends to bite us in the ass, so we should stay out of it.

We should build ourselves up so that no crazies dare **** with us, and then let them squabble amongst themselves. We have our own problems here at home and that's what we should be focusing on.

The Left, no doubt, will be screaming for Trump to DO SOMETHING!! :jameo: But of course if he steps in they'll start screaming about US imperialism or somesuch. Although he seems to have a knack for getting these people to stop being aholes, so maybe he sets up a summit or something to hammer out a peace deal. But we're coming up on an election that he needs to be focused on, so Armenia and the whatevers are going to have to wait.

You know why you know nothing of this?????
Because our media isn't reporting anything happening in the world .
All they can do is push their liberal agenda, and their fight against Donald Trump.
The same with the democrats in the Congress, all foreign politics has gone or is held in abeyance while they squabble and fight the President.
This didn't start yesterday. It's been going on for a while , the same as with China trying to take over every part of the Pacific Ocean within their sphere of influence.
Normally the Congress and Newspapers and TV news would be all over this and other things, but now the quest to beat Donald Trump is Paramount to the point where foreign wars are ignored and an American Civil War is preferred by democrats rather than to have Donald Trump for another 4 years

They are lunatics.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Turkey is on the verge of becoming a rouge state, Erdogan is a ****ing dictator and has about pushed itself out of NATO.
Not sure how much of a "vital" nation it is now, or if it's become more of a liability,
At the beginning of the cold war they were an ally with close proximity to the USSR. This meant electronic surveillance posts, missiles and airbases on the back door of the USSR. Not to mention control over the Bosphorus Straits.
Their days as a strategic partner are rapidly coming to an end