B-sides

BOP

Over the recent decades, "B" or "flip" sides were often, but not always, lesser known, not as popular, "space fillers" on the flip side of 45 rpm records. Off the top of my head, without doing any research, I'm not sure if there were any flip sides that charted higher than the A-side, but there were many examples of flip sides charting in the Top 40.

This isn't really about literal flip side songs, though I certainly wouldn't exclude any. This is a tread about good music that was put out by popular musicians and/or groups that never received the air play that their chart-topping singles did. The Jimi Hendrix song "Machine Gun" was one such. Great song, never received a lot of the air play that "Hey, Joe," "Purple Haze," and others of his work that got played to death on FM radio.

Any era is fair game, as is any genre, though you tend to see this in rock and pop more than other genres. Of course there is a lot of work out there by individuals and/or groups that, aside from their one hit, are crap. I'm looking more for the good stuff.

This is a group called the Honeycombs, which featured what may be the world's first female rock drummer. I haven't verified that, but that's what I've read.

Probably most people in my age group (I was 9 or 10 when this came out) have heard this song at least once.

"Have I the Right?" In a little over a month, it went to #1 on the British and Australian charts, and #5 on the American Billboard (13 weeks).

the literal B-side to "Have I the Right?" was "Please Don’t Pretend Again." I'm not sure whether the song even charted; certainly not in the Top 100 for that year. It's not that good a song anyway.

This is a better song by the Honeycombs...if you're into that kind of music. Like the B-side above, I don't think this even charted, at least not in the U.S.

GoodnessME

The most successful two-sided hit on Billboard’s Top/Hot 100 chart was Elvis Presley’s “Hound Dog”/“Don’t Be Cruel.” One side reached #1 on the chart, the other #2. The two titles spent a combined 55 weeks in the Top 100 in 1956-1957. No other artist in the rock era, not even The Beatles, had a double-sided hit that could challenge the cumulative chart performance of “Hound Dog” and “Don’t Be Cruel.”