Baby arrived yesterday and can I say OMG!!!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
My Rocky Mia had her baby yesterday. Very cute and healthy :yahoo: . :confused: , from two solids, one black and one blue roan = paint tobiano. Hmmmm, this doesn't seem to make any sense unless one of the parents has the gene not expressed which I didn't think was possible????

SouthernMdRocks

Must get DNA'ed.

appyday said:
Do you have to DNA the baby? I dont think you can get a paint out of two solids...did you breed the mare yourself and KNOW for a FACT that stud bred that mare? You might have problems when it comes to registering...glad it is healthy..

I will have to get him DNA'ed for sure for RMHA or the KMSHA's recent spotted registry. I didn't think to solids could produced paint unless one was so minimal white tobiano that they looked solid. I will post pix as soon as I can shrink the size to post.

SouthernMdRocks

Here's the little guy!!

BOHDEN said:
Pics Please

Pix within about 2 hours from birth.

Attachments

• MiaBabyTN.jpg
    MiaBabyTN.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 162

SouthernMdRocks

I know I won't be registering him with the Rocky's, LOL. They have a very loud spotted mountain horse there standing that looks an awful lot like this little guy. They claim the other stud was at another barn at the time. Well good thing for the DNA.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OMG!! He looks like he stuck his little head in a bucket of black paint :lol:
I'd SAY the spotted saddle hopped the fence :lol: Pretty irresponsible of them to NOT tell you that might have been the case. He's definatley not RMH. :huggy:
Let's HOPE he's gaited at least.....

I'll bet you were shocked to see that standing there...:lol: I'm sorry I just have to giggle when i think about the shock it must have been. Hmm...have to go check the archives to see just where this was :lol:
My friend has a dog who she wasn't sure who the father was, and his name was Suchen Vater...searching for father in German :lol:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Thanks Happy for the avatar help. Your the best..... :huggy:
Maybe next time my lilhorsechic will take the picture with the sun at HER back,lol.

Last edited:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Labs4Me said:
Yeah, I had thought about doing that Lethal White Gene Test at UC Davis but I'm pretty sure my mare carries it anyways by the looks of her 2 foals (she's the horse in my avatar). My mare's dam had a lethal foal when bred to an Overo about 15 years ago which is when people were first hearing more about it so her dam obviously carries the gene. I thought I was pretty safe breeding to a solid bay Hanoverian. Everything in his line was solid bay. He did have that slight bit of flecking on his flank but you had to be so close to see it. From what I've heard that ticking is a dominant gene. At the time I had first bred to him people were still thinking that the Overo gene was recessive but now we know that the frame Overo gene is dominant. I think if I ever breed her again I'll have to make sure the stud has been tested and isn't a carrier of the Lethal Gene. I'd hate to get a Lethal!!

What the heck is a Lethal????? :popcorn:

SouthernMdRocks

Fee's involved.

appyday said:
I would be pissed...not because of the baby but because they did not do their job right...

I would have them do an amended stallion report and add that mare to it and register the baby out of the correct stud..

And THEY would pay all fees...and if you paid a stud fee they would be returning that too...

BTW did you have a good size stud fee and mare care or was this basically given to you??

I paid a stud fee and mare care for a couple months. I paid for transport to and from their barn, so I did have quite a bit invested. I honestly believe they messed up but they are claiming there was no paints or spotted at the same barn. I gotta hurry up and get the DNA done. I was away all weekend at a horse show in PA.

SouthernMdRocks

Sire's color

mygoldnhorse said:
Wow....I bet you couldn't believe :shocking: your eyes. Is the foals other side all white too? Sure is a cutie.

The stallion I paid for the breeding with is a solid blue roan with I think two small socks. My mare has only one small star and a little white on her coronet band.

SouthernMdRocks

He is a sweet little guy!

happyappygirl said:
OMG!! He looks like he stuck his little head in a bucket of black paint :lol:
I'd SAY the spotted saddle hopped the fence :lol: Pretty irresponsible of them to NOT tell you that might have been the case. He's definatley not RMH. :huggy:
Let's HOPE he's gaited at least.....

I'll bet you were shocked to see that standing there...:lol: I'm sorry I just have to giggle when i think about the shock it must have been. Hmm...have to go check the archives to see just where this was :lol:
My friend has a dog who she wasn't sure who the father was, and his name was Suchen Vater...searching for father in German :lol:

But I can say my mouth just dropped open and my first reaction was to laugh :killingme , then my husband walked in the barn, looked at the baby then me and cracked up. Poor little guy might have a complex!! Then of course of assured Mia and baby that they were great. He will be gaited and he is just all over the place with mom. I will find a pix of the other stallion standing at that farm and post it. I think a good name for him might be ,"Whose Your Daddy" LOL.

SouthernMdRocks

Nice looking filly.

Labs4Me said:
Congratulations on the new baby! He's cute! I have one Paint mare whose registered both Paint and Pinto and her son and daughter who are just registered Pinto (their father is Hanoverian so they can't be registered Paint). As far as I know, you can only get a Tobiano when at least one parent is Tobiano and the gene never skips generations. I know you can get a "crop-out" foal when 2 solid colored horses carry a recessive Overo gene. But then the baby would be Overo. It's interesting though because my mare is a frame overo with about 25% white. The stallion I bred her to was a solid bay Hanoverian with absolutely no overo genes anywhere in his line. He was in no way a roan but had started to get very (and I mean very!) minimal flecking on his flank. Both of my babies turned out being practically all white to my surprise!! I've been told since then that roan genes can do that. I wonder if that has anything to do with your foal and the large amount of white. Either way, cute baby! I'm attaching 2 pics of my filly- boy was I shocked when I saw all that white!!

There is quite alot of white there. I tried to read up on the roan gene to see if anything like that was possible, really didn't find much though.

W

WildHorses

SouthernMdRocks said:
But I can say my mouth just dropped open and my first reaction was to laugh :killingme , then my husband walked in the barn, looked at the baby then me and cracked up. Poor little guy might have a complex!! Then of course of assured Mia and baby that they were great. He will be gaited and he is just all over the place with mom. I will find a pix of the other stallion standing at that farm and post it. I think a good name for him might be ,"Whose Your Daddy" LOL.

:killingme :lmao: :killingme

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
At least you could laugh about it...i had to go out to the tractor and stop Rottncop JUST to tell him about your baby...he needed a laugh...(sowwy :huggy: had too..)

I am sorry you'll have to go through all that again though....what a PITA.