baby gate for bannisters

terbear1225

anyone have any recommendations for a baby gate to put at the top of stairs. we have bannisters on either side that we'd really rather not drill into. can anyone suggest a gate that can be attached without drilling into the wood?

shannonbrio

Same set up here. Hubby used several zip ties to attach a peice or 4x4 to the bannister post and then attached the gate to the wood. We just used a Evenflo swing gate that we got at Lowe's. For extra protectionwe glued some thin craft foam on the 4x4 to keep the rubbage down.

terbear1225

Same set up here. Hubby used several zip ties to attach a peice or 4x4 to the bannister post and then attached the gate to the wood. We just used a Evenflo swing gate that we got at Lowe's. For extra protectionwe glued some thin craft foam on the 4x4 to keep the rubbage down.

I found some of the major companies (including evenflo) have made products like that for their gates. was wondering if anyone had used them.

anyone have any recommendations for a baby gate to put at the top of stairs. we have bannisters on either side that we'd really rather not drill into. can anyone suggest a gate that can be attached without drilling into the wood?
We have an Evenflo Top of Stair Gate. It's a wooden gate with metal hardware. It swings. VERY secure.

I mounted the hinges to a 1x4 piece of oak stained to match the newel post on our stairwell then ziptied the 1x4 to the newel post. This worked well for years. Setup was approved by childcare agency for a home daycare. However, once the kids got bigger, and started shaking the gate, I noticed the zipties getting worn (took at least 3 years). I eventually broke down and put 1 screw in at the top and 1 at the bottom to replace the zipties. Unsing the industrial strength, large zipties it is very secure. Just keed an eye on the condition of the ties. The standard cheap wire zipties do not stand up to this use. Do not use them.