Baby names that are reportedly banned in America: What to know

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
State governments might step in and prohibit certain baby names and spellings from appearing on official birth certificates

Millions of babies are born and named in the U.S. each year, but certain names or naming conventions are reportedly banned by state governments.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk and singer Grimes reportedly learned this fact in 2020 when they tried to name their firstborn son X Æ A-12 in the state of California.

The pair modified the name’s numeric 12 to the Roman numeral XII, which is acceptable and in accordance with California state law, Fox News Digital previously reported.

Ten examples of prohibited baby names reportedly include King, Queen, Jesus Christ, III, Santa Claus, Majesty, Adolf Hitler, Messiah, the symbol @ and 1069.

Other names that can be rejected from birth certificates are names that reference trademarked brands, according to usbirthcertificates.com. Disparaging terms can also be rejected, the site states.

I think parents should be allowed to name their children anything.... That will eventually get them murdered in their sleep by little "Wha-cha Macallit"

Tech

Have friends who named the kids with traditional irish names and get mad when people mispronounce their names. Sorry, the Irish Language has different pronunciation rules than American English.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
My friend just took in a heroin addicted baby that the mother named Bowtie (as in Chevy!) If my friend is able to adopt they will change the name, but for now they call him Bo.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Have friends who named the kids with traditional irish names and get mad when people mispronounce their names. Sorry, the Irish Language has different pronunciation rules than American English.
After seeing the name written for a long time but never spoken, it took me a while to realize the Siobhan was pronounced Shevaun.

SamSpade

I have a niece whose son is named the Arabic word for "Messiah", so I guess she skirts that one.

Tech

After seeing the name written for a long time but never spoken, it took me a while to realize the Siobhan was pronounced Shevaun.
It's the bh combo, it gives a v sound. The the town of Cobh is pronounced Cove. Don't get started on which syllable gets the emphasis.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
south park otter GIF

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It's the bh combo, it gives a v sound. The the town of Cobh is pronounced Cove. Don't get started on which syllable gets the emphasis.
I’ve actually learned something new, it’s a good day.