Back Creek Bistro Closing

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I had a crab and grilled shrimp over soba noodles dish there one time that I still remember now, two years later. Never had a bad meal there. :shrug:

The last 2 times we were there, it was barely edible at best and the service was atrocious. Yes I did let them know that the staff could do with a little more customer service training and a little less of the gossip fest at the front door. We won't be going back, no malice intended just spending my money elsewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Couldn't agree more. That's the Bistro and Cafe Des Artistes closing down in SoMD.

What??...jeez. This county is becoming a real wasteland when it comes to restaurants..

I just drove by Chief's a few minutes ago on my way home from the boat, and their parking lot was still packed full as usual. But so few "non chain" places left...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Let's see .... They are located at Calvert Marina. No paved roads. Unkempt area around building. Next to a boat yard. Yet had a captive audience, so to speak, at the condominiums and still couldn't make it. They are located at Calvert Marina. If you went by it during the day, one would be hard pressed to even realize that there was a restaurant in the building. The first level of the building being a showroom and sales office for .... Matt's retirement housing complex.

I would bet that because Matt, the owner of all things Calvert Marina, including the building the Bistro is in, doesn't want, or a deal couldn't be reached, to continue the business that would be in harmony with his over 55 housing community he is building called the "Harbours at Solomons Island". A huge endeavor that will pretty much encompass and fill every available lot from the gate to the end of Dowell Rd. And that, I'll bet, is the real reason the Bistro's doors are closing.

PeoplesElbow

One thing I have noticed about "local" restaurants that bothers me is the bathrooms are almost always gross. Then I think hey they guy that makes my food also uses this bathroom. Keep the bathrooms clean and in good condition and it reflects positively on your business.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Let's see .... They are located at Calvert Marina. No paved roads. Unkempt area around building. Next to a boat yard. Yet had a captive audience, so to speak, at the condominiums and still couldn't make it. They are located at Calvert Marina. If you went by it during the day, one would be hard pressed to even realize that there was a restaurant in the building. The first level of the building being a showroom and sales office for .... Matt's retirement housing complex.

I would bet that because Matt, the owner of all things Calvert Marina, including the building the Bistro is in, doesn't want, or a deal couldn't be reached, to continue the business that would be in harmony with his over 55 housing community he is building called the "Harbours at Solomons Island". A huge endeavor that will pretty much encompass and fill every available lot from the gate to the end of Dowell Rd. And that, I'll bet, is the real reason the Bistro's doors are closing.

You obviously never ate at - or stood in line for 2 hours - at the original "couldn't be more remote" Evan's Seafood....arguably one of the best seafood restaurants in the region at one time.

But that said...if the owner of the property wants them out...it will always happen eventually. ;-(

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One thing I have noticed about "local" restaurants that bothers me is the bathrooms are almost always gross. Then I think hey they guy that makes my food also uses this bathroom. Keep the bathrooms clean and in good condition and it reflects positively on your business.

I have not had that experience, or at least any more so than at a chain. Fast food restaurants are typically disgusting, but you're talking about a lower level of employee and most of them can't be bothered to do their jobs. EXCEPT Chick-Fil-A - holla, because they are the exception to pretty much every unpleasant fast food rule.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I just got off the phone with Im_Me and she says that it's because local restaurants tend not to advertise and people don't realize they're there. Is that it? The owners need to step up their marketing game?

The wife and I love Back Creek.
We just don't go out very much.

jrt_ms1995

... So this is a real request:

Examine your restaurant habits and please tell me why you prefer chain restaurants over locally owned ones.

I don't, nor does my wife. Both "come heres." Never heard of Back Creek, and have never heard of Jerry's (unless you mean the greasy pizza, chinese, sub, everthing chain place.) Cafe d'Artistes has always been our go to place for something really good, and we'll miss them (although not necessarily the music; music in restaurants and bars is universally too loud.)

Last edited:
Let's see we've been to Evans seafood-not the original...sucked, food was half frozen. The old Bear Creek BBQ and the BBQ by base, well being from St Louis originally all I can say is heresy, that isn't BBQ. The jerk place by San Souci, nope, fatty and greasy. The Thai place is good but expensive. Lenny's...barf city, and smells of old Marlboros. Cafe des Artistes, too much butter on everything. The roost, Bollywood, hibachi, who goes there? We liked Vera's but after she died the food did too. Asahi is just OK, better than Sarku.
Really there is very little good food here and the locals are far worse than the chains. You would think there would be decent seafood but in 14 years we have yet to find it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We liked Vera's but after she died the food did too.

This sentence right here is how I know you're full of it because the old Vera's was always notorious for having the worst food in perhaps the whole United States of America. Not to mention it was scary filthy.

General Lee

Fast food restaurants are typically disgusting, but you're talking about a lower level of employee and most of them can't be bothered to do their jobs. EXCEPT Chick-Fil-A - holla, because they are the exception to pretty much every unpleasant fast food rule.

I agree about Chic-fil-a, But I don't understand how they can pull it off and not the others.....McD's Arby's, Wendy's etc.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Y'all are funny in getting nasty about who likes what restaurant. :lol: We don't go to Solomons as a rule, but we did go to Blue Heron once. It was quite delicious. Sorry to hear it is closing.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Who is getting nasty?

It was the Vera's thing, but no biggy. Just a comment. How are you, Hankaroo!

Edit: Also, we rarely go out to eat. We view it as a waste of money, and our waste is in the toilet the next day; so to speak. Maybe, now and then for a very special occasion, but that's it. All the money saved goes to retirement which is more important. My hub thinks I am an awesome cook.

Also, I think a lot of people move here not only for military reasons, but to live in a rural area. They don't expect to find culinary genius here. I think they will travel to more well known restaurants to go out to eat. JMO.

And, restaurants are not the only businesses going under. I don't think SoMD can support a lot of enterprises. I see it every day in empty store fronts.

Last edited:

ltown81

Tried to go to Back Creek twice. Ate there once. The first time we could not find it at night and went somewhere else. Second time, we went there, and I think at early 30's we were the youngest people there. It was Christmas, and the owner was singing so it was nice. I remember the restaurant seemed half empty..like no tables or anything. The food really was not good enough for us to go out our way again.

Café Des Artists is a sadder one for me as it is very unique to the area. The town of Leonardtown has some big issues on it's hand with businesses being healthy.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Couldn't agree more. That's the Bistro and Cafe Des Artistes closing down in SoMD. I guess if you want a date night restaurant, maybe you could get a corner booth at Olive Garden.

Cafe Des Artistes has the atmosphere and food quality of Linda's Cafe with Fine dinning prices. Go figure.