Back in the day in St. Mary's

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The A&E Hotel was there then! :lol:
Yes, it has been around for a long time. It was named for Agnes and Ed Long, who built it; hence A & E.

Based on the motion picture showing on the marquee of the Park theater, Gunslinger, this was filmed around 1956.

The snowy hill is behind the Church of the Ascension on GM Road with Patuxent Homes behind it. The other theater shown was the Plaza, which was razed and now the LP post office sits there.

The housing development briefly shown near the end with the white buildings was Center Gardens, which was also razed and became Lancaster Park.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yes, it has been around for a long time. It was named for Agnes and Ed Long, who built it; hence A & E.

Based on the motion picture showing on the marquee of the Park theater, Gunslinger, this was filmed around 1956.

The snowy hill is behind the Church of the Ascension on GM Road with Patuxent Homes behind it. The other theater shown was the Plaza, which was razed and now the LP post office sits there.

The housing development briefly shown near the end with the white buildings was Center Gardens, which was also razed and became Lancaster Park.
I didn't know that!

I thought the Skipjack Inn was where the LP PO is now.

I recognized several of the buildings. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I believe Center Gardens is where my parents/our family lived briefly when my dad was stationed at Pax in the early 60's. That was also when WPTX had a radio station right down the sidewalk from the Plaza movie theatre. Dad was a part time radio DJ there, and the DJ booth was right in the front window which faced the street.

Pretty sure the Texaco station was owned by the previous owner of my house. I know he had a service station in town, and I found a bunch of Texaco stuff in the basement.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Was this Braniff flight a charter into the base or was there ever a scheduled service ?
I don't know but it is definitely at Pax River.

I started searching for the source of the video and found it is a man named Dallas Moore, who goes to auctions and says:

I am a person who buys other peoples memories. Every time I walk into an auction and see a big box of home movies or photos, without fail someone says, “Who is going to buy that?” When I hear it I want to stand up and scream at the top of my lungs, I AM!!!

That big box of stuff is someone’s story and I think that should be treasured, not thrown away. When I find it, I archive it, to tell the stories of the people, places, and things FORGOTTEN NOW FOUND.

Here is his blurb for the film:

1957 Braniff Airlines & Lexington Park, Maryland

In this 8mm home movie from 1957, the film starts with a Braniff Airlines Airplane on the runways with passengers boarding the aircraft while the ESSO truck fills the plane tanks. The next part of the film is from inside the plane looking out through the plane window while in flight. The propeller in motion can be viewed as well as the Braniff name on the wing. The film then cuts to a group of children bundled to the “Christmas Story” movie level. They all seem to be having fun. The neon hotel sign for A&E Motel No Vacancies is seen and the motel parking lot covered in snow. The family then travels to Lexington, Maryland. Here lots of great street scenes from the small town are shown. My favorite is the Texaco Station, or the diner, or the Coca-Cola neon sign…lots to like really.