backpacking

cbhaislip

My husband and I are trying to plan a backpacking trip for our anniversary coming up mid October. We aren't experienced "backpackers" but we love hiking and just enjoying outdoors. We are willing to travel to a great place (preferably within 4 or 5 hours of Southern MD). Does anyone have any ideas or places they've been? We'd love to see some beautiful fall leaves, mountain country side, waterfalls...you know, all the good stuff.

Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County in northwestern md is totally amazing this time of year. Google it! It will take your breath away!

B

Big Fatty

cbhaislip said:
My husband and I are trying to plan a backpacking trip for our anniversary coming up mid October. We aren't experienced "backpackers" but we love hiking and just enjoying outdoors. We are willing to travel to a great place (preferably within 4 or 5 hours of Southern MD). Does anyone have any ideas or places they've been? We'd love to see some beautiful fall leaves, mountain country side, waterfalls...you know, all the good stuff.

Hiking in Shenandoah is a "can't miss" trip. Wide variety of hikes, novice to advanced. Lot's of cool places to stay. Try the Cardinal Inn if you need anemenities (sp?). Rangers can provide some great overnight to 2+ day backpacking hike recommendations.

Joebagel

the AT in Virgina is amazing. I would agree with Big Fatty, in that the Shenandoah Vally is perfect so "not so Expirenced" hikers.

cbhaislip said:
Step by step guide to the AT from Front Royal South.
HIKE

Bonehead

Yeah Shenandoah or any local part of the Appalachian Trail would be good. Although the National park can get crowded on the trail. Just don't get over zealous with distance or pack weight. It takes about two weeks to get free of the pack weight and truly enjoy long distance walking. Just my .02......Enjoy.

One hike I thought would be cool is from White Oak Canyon trail head at about mile 43
down the trail to a vehicle left off of rt 600 just up from Syria. All down hill and along a stream.

cbhaislip

What are good trails throughout Shenandoah NP? I have several maps of the area, but from personal experience, does anyone know of specific trails? We're thinking maybe 25-30 miles, over the course of 3 days, with primitive camping along the way.

courtneygwilson

I have hiked the entire Appalatian Trail. A great spot is actually in Maryland. I would give it a 5 out of 10 for difficulty. Since it is so close to home you might want to take two cars. Park one in Harpers Ferry WV then drive together to where the AT footbridge crosses I-70. You will park on Route 40 in an AT parking area on the side of the road. You can find this national trail on any Atlas, MD ADC or other MD maps.

I have done this hike twice in the past month and I just love it. It is 24 miles with multiple shelters along the way for camping. Once you get to Harpers Ferry it is always nice to have a pint at the pub.

Email the Appalatian Trail Conference and ask them to give you shelter and milage details on this section. I promis you won't be dissapointed and the drive time from where I live in North Beach is approx 2 hrs to harpers or 1.5 hrs to I-70 Foot bridge(Route 40 parking lot) It is best if you hike south. The first 7 miles has some ups but dont get discouraged because after that it is mostly ridge walking and down hills until you get to the towpath which is about four miles of flat. I do not enjoy that part but if you don't hike it all in one day you should be fine.

Hiking the AT is verry simple. Just follow the white blazes painted on the trees. Almost impossible to get lost. Just remember which way you came from in the morning when you leave the shelter. You don't want to go back the way you came. HaHa

The shelters will have small wooden signs along the trail with a blue blaze painted path leading from the trail. Trail white, Shelter and side trails blue. Its that easy and so close to home. I love MD.