Bank of America goes full on fascist

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
What they didn't tell you is that they checked before making the statement and they don't have customers who fit that profile, thus no customers are being let go.

WARNING: THE ABOVE IS SATIRE/HUMOR AND MAY NOT BE A TRUE STATEMENT.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Since Chris said "fascism" isn't in play here with BOA, who am I to argue?

So let's go back to 1920s Germany and chart the rise of some real fascists. "Just a bunch of beer house cranks," it was said. "Let 'em be," it was said. "They're just having some fun; what harm can come of it?," it was said.

Then, lo and behold, they started bullying folks around, but hey, what's the problem? There are still hundreds of other political parties to counter these clowns. Aren't there? Nothing to see here, move along. The Beer Hall Putsch failed, that idiot Hitler is sitting in jail. "What, me worry?"

But then these "beer hall cranks" started using more directed violence (guns, blackmail, extortion, etc.) to gain a foothold. And one day Germany woke up to find Nazis in an unassailable position that they then used to seize the government in order to coerce and to compel. And then we got real concentration camps....

A similar story tracks the rise in Russia first, of the Bolsheviks, and second, of Stalin. And what did we wind up with there? Famine, the GULag, the Great Purge.

But yes, let's just let the cherished principle alone. Let's just say there's never a point where a threshold is crossed.

This is what I meant when I said that one has to have a bigger picture in view. Libertarian principle is all well and good until such time as it isn't. And we are at (or soon to be at) that point of time. We have small numbers of people wielding incredible amounts of power (in this case, via financial leverage) in order to behave in what can only be described as a totalitarian manner. Be it BOA, Mastercard, or whomever. If you're talking about a small local bank that wants to espouse a certain political/ideological position, I'm all for it as I can shop my money around. But "scale" does matter; the local bank doesn't have nearly the leverage of these behemoths.

Further we also see the boards of these mega-, highly central and influential corporations (in other words, numerous small bands of people) colluding with ideologically similar state governments (New York and California immediately come to mind). Whether this is technically "fascism" or not, the practical result is fascism. With government becoming increasingly invasive and controlling and with everything financial being forced down the digital highway (as in, no cash just electronic) we (that is, the dissenters) are at significant, additional disadvantages.

This shouldn't be hard to see. Especially for a libertarian. But I guess when ones holds to a principle blindly one is, in fact, quite blind.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Since Chris said "fascism" isn't in play here with BOA, who am I to argue?

Techno Fascists .... Privatized Censorship

From Liberal Fascism:

Fascism: is a religion of the State, it assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. it is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, wither by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives. any rival identity is part of the "problem" and therefore defined as the enemy.

nutz

No joke, I had this exact same thing happen to me with Crocker in the early 80s, and with Wells Fargo in the early 2000s (actually was the same bank, since WF bought out Crocker).
. And then we got real concentration camps....

A similar story tracks the rise in Russia first, of the Bolsheviks, and second, of Stalin. And what did we wind up with there? Famine, the GULag, the Great Purge.

But yes, let's just let the cherished principle alone. Let's just say there's never a point where a threshold is crossed.

--- End of line (MCP)
But history almost never repeats itself. Why care? :sarcasm:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This shouldn't be hard to see. Especially for a libertarian. But I guess when ones holds to a principle blindly one is, in fact, quite blind.

This line, but the whole post in general :notworthy

My observation is that our resident "libertarian" is not libertarian in any meaningful way, and in fact is a leftist Democrat shill. When one consistently parrots the talking points of a political party, and gets upset when evidence to the contrary is presented, it's a strong indicator that one is a loyal member of that political party regardless of what they proclaim to be.

Any person who shrugs and pooh-poohs a major institution using financial pressure to control speech and political thought is NOT a libertarian; they are either a fascist or a sheep who doesn't really understand the historical implications. I check out Reason magazine periodically (ha) and the majority of the writers don't seem to know what it means to be a libertarian, either, because they consistently side with leftwing ideology. At best they are anarchists; at worst they are communists; neither of those are conducive to universal freedom or a healthy productive society.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
This line, but the whole post in general :notworthy
Thanks for the "back pat." Appreciate it.

A few comments....
Any person who shrugs and pooh-poohs a major institution using financial pressure to control speech and political thought is NOT a libertarian...
ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

I check out Reason magazine periodically (ha) and the majority of the writers don't seem to know what it means to be a libertarian, either, because they consistently side with leftwing ideology.
That's been my experience over the years as well with Reason; that it has moved from "right" libertarianism to a more left version (which doesn't make much sense to me at all..., if "liberty" is what's at stake. Unless, of course, "liberty" from responsibility, etc. is what the goal is). Used to have a years-long subscription, but didn't renew for this reason (ha). ;)

That's the problem with libertarianism, though; there are two groups claiming the moniker. There's right libertarians (where I put down my X and what libertarianism was initially all about) and left libertarianism (which I find very difficult to believe is libertarianism at all).

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Soros-Backed Group Demands Financial Blacklisting of Conservatives

As if censorship isn't enough, leftists have decided to ramp up their demands that those who have a different political view be financially blacklisted. A coalition of far-left political activist organizations known for peddling smears about conservatives held a protest at Mastercard's annual general meeting (AGM) today, demanding that the international credit card giant financially blacklist wider sections of the political right.

Fortunately, Mastercard didn't cave to the tyrannical demands of the George Soros-backed groups. According to Breitbart, at Mastercard's AGM, the far-left groups SumOfUs and Sleeping Giants circled the venue with a mobile billboard stating: "Putting hate groups out of business? #Priceless."

The groups' proposal to form a "human rights committee" did not sway shareholders, who voted the measure down. According to a press release published by the two organizations, this was coupled with a speech from Sleeping Giants co-founder Nandini Jammi, "addressing the need for Mastercard to take swift action by cutting off its services to these hate groups."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
JPMorgan Chase accused of purging accounts of conservative activists

JPMorgan Chase is under fire for closing the bank accounts of several customers in the conservative movement as other right-wingers are threatening to close their accounts unless the bank plays nice.

“If Jamie Dimon can’t absolutely guarantee that Chase Bank won’t ever discriminate against conservatives, conservatives should consider banking elsewhere,” warned David Almasi, vice president of the conservative-leaning National Center for Public Policy Research, referring to JPMorgan’s chairman and CEO.

JPMorgan first landed in hot water soon after conservative activists Enrique Tarrio, Joe Biggs, Laura Loomer and Martina Markota discovered their accounts at Chase were closed within weeks of each other earlier this year — and without satisfactory explanations, they claim.

Tarrio is a President Trump supporter and head of the Proud Boys organization. Several Chase managers could not give him a satisfactory reason for the account’s closure. One even called the closing “mind-boggling.”