Banning open carry

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Since it is a state issue...how could anyone ban open carry where open carry is perfectly legal? Further..have you noticed how many states have passed "constitutional carry" laws? Those recognize that lawful gun owners can carry however they deem fit.

That said..I'm not inclined to "open carry" and never have been. But that's just me.

As for those businesses like Walmart...consensus is they can do what they want as far as rules in their property.

limblips

PREMO Member
It speaks volumes that the right is not organizing massive pro-carry demonstrations at Walmarts throughout the country, you know, like Chick-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby had by the left for their religious beliefs.

transporter

I would think so ...... fact is, people have an irrational fear

You are absolutely right...the irrational fear is all yo wet panty gun nutter types.

Didn't YOU just post yesterday how few people are victims of gun violence? If there is no threat, which is what you consistently post, why do you need to carry a gun?

The rational fear is from the average citizen who is concerned what might set one of you gun nutters off.

As you constantly point out, no existing law and no proposed law would have ever stopped any shooting that has ever occurred since time began. Yet, every mass shooting--according to you-- has been promulgated by a legal gun owner.

So the rational fear is the one of some gun carrying Rambo wannabe whose in a bad mood when he walks into the Walmart.

This is your logic string comrade.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You are absolutely right...the irrational fear is all yo wet panty gun nutter types.

Didn't YOU just post yesterday how few people are victims of gun violence? If there is no threat, which is what you consistently post, why do you need to carry a gun?

Not a big chance of a flat tire either but I have a spare, not a big chance of a fire but have an extinguisher, not a high likelyhood of drowning while boating but it's wise to keep lifejackets, floats and ropes.

It's called self-reliance, but then I'm sure Mommy never taught you about that, did she?

This_person

The rational fear is from the average citizen who is concerned what might set one of you gun nutters off.

As you constantly point out, no existing law and no proposed law would have ever stopped any shooting that has ever occurred since time began. Yet, every mass shooting--according to you-- has been promulgated by a legal gun owner.

So the rational fear is the one of some gun carrying Rambo wannabe whose in a bad mood when he walks into the Walmart.

Here's the problem, and you just can't get around it: guns exist, and we, the people, have the right to keep and bear arms. That right is specifically for the purpose of protecting ourselves from enemies, foreign and domestic.

So long as guns exist, people will use them inappropriately, just like cars and sugar and alcohol and knives and bridges and drugs and.....

You ask why someone needs to carry a gun, and I tell you the only correct answer to that is, "because I want to." You have no control over me doing what I want, so long as it harms no one else. You can make using the gun inappropriately illegal, and that's already been done. There's not a shred of evidence to suggest that someone who chooses to conduct an illegal act with a legal gun would not do so if the gun were illegal.

The gun is not the issue. Making people more defenseless is not a solution to the people who use guns in an illegal fashion (legal or illegal guns, it does not matter).

You can try to rationalize away your freedom, but you can't rationalize away mine. You have no authority to do that, you have no reason to do that, and you have zero evidence that doing that will make you safer while I have tens of millions of dead bodies in eastern and western Europe in the 20th century and whole nations of American Indians in the 19th century North American continent to show you that you are NOT safer.

Use your rationalization all you want, and don't own a gun. If you don't own a gun, you have no business talking gun control, just like if you have no uterus you have no business talking abortion.

glhs837

Power with Control

1. I dont require a need to carry a weapon, becuase I have a RIGHT to carry a weapon. I would say the number of people killed by sane weapon carriers, of which there are millions, if not 10s of millions must be pretty low. This "just going off" notion of yours is just like your "gun nutters" appelation, a mistaken notion that has little to no bearing in reality. I personally know well maybe 20-30 people who own firearms. Most likely a lot I know who do own but I dont know about it. Law abiding citzens, a lot of them retired military, some civil servants, other folks. Nutters? Not a one. This idea that owning a firearm makes you a nutter doesnt hold up. As does the notion that gun onwers "just go off".

2. Some existing laws would help, were they enforced. Actually punishing people who use firearms to commit crimes instead of plea and release would help. Dont confuse "law wouldn't have stopped" with "legal gun owner". Many have been commited by people who obtained thier guns illegally. The Texas shooter bought his from a guy illegally. Seems that guy, he was making them illegally and selling them illegally, so again...

Chris0nllyn

But they can still conceal carry, right?

Isn't that better anyway?

For many, yes. I personally prefer concealed carry.

However, it's a bit more complicated than that. For various reasons, SCOTUS has ruled that states cannot outright ban citizens from carrying firearms outside their home. Take MD for example, concealed carry licenses are hard to come by for most individuals without a "good and substantial" reason to have one. During legal arguments in cases challenging MD's concealed carry laws, the MD Attorney General made the argument that MD allows open carry of long guns so by making the concealed carry process long and arduous they are not placing an undue burden on citizens since, technically speaking, they can carry long guns openly if they choose to.

Of course in practice this opens the door for you almost be guaranteed to be stopped (at a bare minimum) by the police. Most people know this and choose not to open carry.

States use open carry laws not many people exercise to get around placing strict guidelines/restrictions on concealed carry licenses.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
During legal arguments in cases challenging MD's concealed carry laws, the MD Attorney General made the argument that MD allows open carry of long guns so by making the concealed carry process long and arduous they are not placing an undue burden on citizens since, technically speaking, they can carry long guns openly if they choose to.

Try that ANYWHERE in Maryland and if you survive, let us know how it went!

Chris0nllyn

The firearms crime rate has fallen, consistently, since the 90's.

Why do police need to carry a gun? Do you feel police are the only group of citizens subject to violent criminals?

That's irrational given a much higher rate of violence and death with things that are not guns. Such as fists.

I can understand the media making you think the sort of instances you mention here are commonplace, but the data doesn't support that. I'm a bit surprised that someone such as yourself that uses actual economic data to back their claims when it comes to Trump's economy and his economic record would suddenly do a 180 when it comes to facts surrounding guns and gun violence.

This_person

For many, yes. I personally prefer concealed carry.

However, it's a bit more complicated than that. For various reasons, SCOTUS has ruled that states cannot outright ban citizens from carrying firearms outside their home. Take MD for example, concealed carry licenses are hard to come by for most individuals without a "good and substantial" reason to have one. During legal arguments in cases challenging MD's concealed carry laws, the MD Attorney General made the argument that MD allows open carry of long guns so by making the concealed carry process long and arduous they are not placing an undue burden on citizens since, technically speaking, they can carry long guns openly if they choose to.

Of course in practice this opens the door for you almost be guaranteed to be stopped (at a bare minimum) by the police. Most people know this and choose not to open carry.

States use open carry laws not many people exercise to get around placing strict guidelines/restrictions on concealed carry licenses.
Wait.....I can get a gun rack and open carry my rifle?

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait.....I can get a gun rack and open carry my rifle?

Well, no, becuase the law requires any weapon in a vehicle to be cased and unloaded. I assume a CC permit overrides that bit. But I asked about vehicle laws down at FBS when I was taking my rife down on the bike. Luckily its a takedown model and so its factory backpack is easily slung over me back.