Barn Blaze Ruins Horse Sanctuary....

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
NBC 29: Count on Us - Barn Blaze Ruins Horse Sanctuary

Fierce flames reduced a Buckingham County charity to rubble. The Healing Hands Sanctuary in Dillwyn is a total loss.

Sam bowen is reeling from last night's event. She lost almost everything dear to her. "Feels like I lost my daughter, feels like I lost my mom and dad again," shared Bowen.

Due to a fire that destroyed the Healing Hands Sanctuary, she has nothing to use to take care of the 13 horses she's rescued from abuse and neglect, and stopped from slaughter.

"We just got feed delivered and it cost 200-300 dollars," said Bowen.

Saddles and bridles were also lost to the fire. Fortunately, all the horses got out as the barn burned. They were safe from the heat, but forced into the cold.

"They say a tree is shelter. It's not. I can't see them treated that way," insisted Bowen. "I need a barn so bad so I can get these guys in."

Throughout the day friends brought help in the form of hay.

"We're gonna help you all we can, if you need office supplies, anything, you just give me a call," assured a friend.

There's no word on the cause of the fire. But while it's investigated, Bowen needs help now. Her dream is that someone will build a new barn or donate lumber.

To help, you can visit any Bank of America branch and make a donation in the name of the Healing Hands Sanctuary. They are a non-profit, so donations are completely tax deductable. The sanctuary can provide a receipt.

Bowen also has a wish list that includes:

--Turn Out Blankets

--Warmer

--Vet Supplies

--Lead Ropes

--Feed buckets

--Blankets

--Heat Lamps

--Bristles

--Combs

--3 qt. Feed Scoops

--Fly Spray

--Fly Masks

--Hoof Picks

--Hay Racks

--Hoses

--Sponges

--Tack Cleaning Supplies

--Shampoo

--Watering Tubs

Reported by David Douglas

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I just saw that video...I was rather set back by that woman's interveiw. "I need blankets, buckets, a new barn, feed....everything". ALL of her horses appeared to make it out alive, but NOT ONCE did she say anything about adopting the horses out or fostering them out. Not trying to be mean, BUT, she is just looking for materials that will take a while to recreate the living accomodations for the horses, I would have thought that she would have asked for temporary homes for now until the place was rebuilt...instead she mentions taking them in her house??? Seemed a little odd to me.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I just saw that video...I was rather set back by that woman's interveiw. "I need blankets, buckets, a new barn, feed....everything". ALL of her horses appeared to make it out alive, but NOT ONCE did she say anything about adopting the horses out or fostering them out. Not trying to be mean, BUT, she is just looking for materials that will take a while to recreate the living accomodations for the horses, I would have thought that she would have asked for temporary homes for now until the place was rebuilt...instead she mentions taking them in her house??? Seemed a little odd to me.

Yes it does seems somewhat odd. There are those temp like carport structures that can give them some shelter in the meantime. How terrible but I'm glad the horses didn't get caught in it.

fredsaid2

Their website showed only one horse available for adoption. Six belong to them personally and the rest are rescues not up for adoption. They have a good number of horses. They might be better off putting up run-ins.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Their website showed only one horse available for adoption. Six belong to them personally and the rest are rescues not up for adoption. They have a good number of horses. They might be better off putting up run-ins.

I agree! I just felt this thing was a bit reminiscent of some kind of crazy cat lady. Plus, with her wish list... fly spray and masks??? I really don't think flies are a problem right now. JMO

fredsaid2

I agree! I just felt this thing was a bit reminiscent of some kind of crazy cat lady. Plus, with her wish list... fly spray and masks??? I really don't think flies are a problem right now. JMO

I wondered about that too. Who knows? Guess they're doing a good job. It must be hard keeping the finances separate for the six they own and the non-profit ones.

IntegritysDream

i keep seeing people write JMO.. what does that mean? haha youd think since im teen and text and IM all the time id know, but that is one i dont!