barn

mtclare

I have an ancient tobacco barn on my property that needs to be dismantled before it falls down. Does anyone know of a company that will dismantle and buy old barns?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
A neighbor of mine had the fire department come out and do a controlled burn to take down on of their old barns. If you're looking for something that won't destroy it or to get a contact for someone who specifically works with old tobacco barns you can try contacting these people

Unbuild - Rebuild
A directory of local companies that reclaims or salvage old buildings or portions of old buildings.

Fitzgerald's Heavy Timber Construction
301-898-9340

Barn Again!

Preservation Maryland
PM@PreservationMaryland.org

MD Agricultural Land Preservation Fund
Calvert County
Veronica Cristo - 410-535-1600, ext. 2489

Charles County
Charles Rice - 301-645-0651

St. Mary’s County
Donna Sasscer - 301-475-4200, ext. 1405

(Other counties are listed on their website)

Unvi. MD Extention

appaholic

I have an ancient tobacco barn on my property that needs to be dismantled before it falls down. Does anyone know of a company that will dismantle and buy old barns?

On my parents property they had several artist take down the barn for free just so they could have the wood.

covekat

There is a program through the state that will give you money to preserve an old tobacco barn... I think they give so much, and then you match it...If thats something you would consider doing, I would contact a local county official!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
There is a program through the state that will give you money to preserve an old tobacco barn... I think they give so much, and then you match it...If thats something you would consider doing, I would contact a local county official!

Yeah, there are a couple programs that do that. They're linked in my post above.

mtclare

We've already consulted with PG County and So. MD tobbacco barn preservation. Our barn qualifies for restoration but we would have to pay for 50% of the cost. We only use the barn for storing old equipment so restoration isn't high on our priority list.

We would rather make money by selling the wood than spend money rebuilding!

JustSayNeigh

We bought an old farmer's barn for $800, found out it was way too big for us to handle, so we advertised in the Washington Post "Old Barn" and sold it to someone who wanted the wood for remodeling for $1500.