Barrel Racing Instructor?

kelsiann

I'm looking into learning how to barrel race but I only know basic western. I'm looking to compete in the AQHA, but sadly western isn't very popular in this area that I've noticed - at least its not compared to lets say Hunter Jumpers or Equitation. I'm located in King George, VA and need and instructor whose willing to travel to the farm I'm located at since I will be using my own horse. Does anyone have any ideas or know where I could begin to look?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I'm looking into learning how to barrel race but I only know basic western. I'm looking to compete in the AQHA, but sadly western isn't very popular in this area that I've noticed - at least its not compared to lets say Hunter Jumpers or Equitation. I'm located in King George, VA and need and instructor whose willing to travel to the farm I'm located at since I will be using my own horse. Does anyone have any ideas or know where I could begin to look?

First, if your under 19 i suggest joining 4h, so that way you could find a buddy that does speed events, and they could probably give you lessons/advice for free or cheap, and you can go to the fairs and get some money.

I know several people in southern md that gives lessons, but im not sure their too wiling to travel. Heck if you were closer i would offer them myself, but king george is a good hour from my house, now if you were willing to meet me at oak ridge...
i have a friend (that i've met through 4h) that lives in king george,shes going back to college this fall, but im sure she knows a couple people that could give you lessons. If you would like, you could PM your email and I can give it to her (dont want to give hers out without permission).
Also there are several smaller shows you could go to, to get the whole feel of barrel racing, like the Northern Neck Horse and Pony Club which is in Warsaw(sp?) Va, then Mounted Wonderers at oakridge park in Hughesville, Md. Then if you want to get REALLY seriouse theres the NBHA and IBRA, which both have a Va chapter, but from what i hear from northern Va people its closer to go to the Md shows, heck the MD NBHA is having their state final in Herndon Va this year.

Anyway i can go on and on and on...lol, because this is something i know about, so if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)

Just to point out even though I don't run barrels personally I ride the Hunt seat on the AQHA circuit. Barrels in the AQHA world are going to be different then the other barrel circuits. They are going to judge on apperance and grace etc not always the fasted time I don't think I'm not 100% sure. For any GOOD AQHA trainer be prepared to travel atleast 4 hours. I travel to Staunton, Va for mine and its 4 hours for me. Some are further.

check out pleasurehorseforum.com lots of aqha stuff there

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Just to point out even though I don't run barrels personally I ride the Hunt seat on the AQHA circuit. Barrels in the AQHA world are going to be different then the other barrel circuits. They are going to judge on apperance and grace etc not always the fasted time I don't think I'm not 100% sure. For any GOOD AQHA trainer be prepared to travel atleast 4 hours. I travel to Staunton, Va for mine and its 4 hours for me. Some are further.

check out pleasurehorseforum.com lots of aqha stuff there

i dont think they judge you on your run, i think mostly the judges are there to make sure that theres no foul play, like unlawful equipment, and behavior,ect, because 4h shows through the AQHA rules for the most part, and we've never been judged on grace. But i dont show AQHA, dont have a registered horse going good, so never know, you could be right...

You travel 4 hours for lessons? If so,wow, you go girl!