Bars at the beach?

thedriver

Former Calvert resident, moving back to the area. I'm renting a place in North Beach starting this weekend, what's going on bar-wise down that way these days?

I know some of them could be a little rough back in the day. Just looking for a good spot to pop in for a beer occasionally. I noticed Thursdays is moving up 260 which is too bad, that's only a block or two from my place. I realize it's off-season and pretty quiet down there, just curious what's decent.

:buddies:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Former Calvert resident, moving back to the area. I'm renting a place in North Beach starting this weekend, what's going on bar-wise down that way these days?

I know some of them could be a little rough back in the day. Just looking for a good spot to pop in for a beer occasionally. I noticed Thursdays is moving up 260 which is too bad, that's only a block or two from my place. I realize it's off-season and pretty quiet down there, just curious what's decent.

Closest - Neptune's or Mango's.

Not really a bar person so I'm stopping here until I can check with a few friends. Really depends on what kind of bar you like. Neptune's food is good (always a plus for me).

RPMDAD

Didn't know Thursdays was moving, haven't been there for a while. Remember when it was a convenience store when i first moved down to the beach. Then i think i remember a bar there called Diamond and Denim??? May have had several names??

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Didn't know Thursdays was moving, haven't been there for a while. Remember when it was a convenience store when i first moved down to the beach. Then i think i remember a bar there called Diamond and Denim??? May have had several names??

Moving up to the Paris Oaks shopping center (260 & Boyd's Turn Road) by Sneade's. Current location used to be Ewald's grocery store, then High's, then a fancy convenience store that had great coffee but didn't last (ticked off the local tradesmen who gathered in the AM for coffee), then a restaurant -- Diamonds & Denim (didn't last -- too expensive & didn't cater to locals), then Thursday's (owner local who knew his base clientele).

It'll be interesting to see what goes in next and how long it lasts. I'm going to miss having Thursdays close.

RPMDAD

Moving up to the Paris Oaks shopping center (260 & Boyd's Turn Road) by Sneade's. Current location used to be Ewald's grocery store, then High's, then a fancy convenience store that had great coffee but didn't last (ticked off the local tradesmen who gathered in the AM for coffee), then a restaurant -- Diamonds & Denim (didn't last -- too expensive & didn't cater to locals), then Thursday's (owner local who knew his base clientele).

It'll be interesting to see what goes in next and how long it lasts. I'm going to miss having Thursdays close.

If they are moving up to Paris Oaks shopping center good luck to them, if i am not mistaken 2 or 3 other bar/ restaurants have already been there and gone under. I never made it to any of them. Years ago used to go up there to Chick's Flicks, locally owned movie rental place but they went under before or just after Chick passed away. Wonder what will go in where Thursdays is moving out of.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If they are moving up to Paris Oaks shopping center good luck to them, if i am not mistaken 2 or 3 other bar/ restaurants have already been there and gone under. I never made it to any of them. Years ago used to go up there to Chick's Flicks, locally owned movie rental place but they went under before or just after Chick passed away. Wonder what will go in where Thursdays is moving out of.

Don't count Dave Hyson (owner of Thursday's) out. He's a very smart businessman and has been planning this move for a couple years. He knows his market and knows how to get locals into his places (he bought the old Steamboat Landing restaurant in Galesville several years ago and turned it into a year round success) which is something very few business people in North Beach understand.

As far as the current Thursday's building goes, it's being marketed as restaurant space. The owner is incredibly difficult to work with and the space will likely remain empty for awhile. He has grandiose plans to eventually demolish the building and build condos on that block with a rooftop restaurant. He also has plans for nearly every property he owns in Town and hasn't turned a shovel of dirt in 15 years except for the recently completed, empty, office looking building on Chesapeake Ave. near 7th St. If he followed through on the plans he's submitted over the last 25 years there wouldn't be an empty lot in Town. Instead there's only non-workable plans gathering dust in storage.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I just thought that was funny.
You don't live in the tri-county area and go to a bar "occasionally." :lol:

thedriver

Thanks all. I hope something goes in where Thursdays is sooner rather than later, that's one of the easiest places within walking (stumbling?) distance from my place. Good to know there are some other options. I've eaten at Neptunes before, pretty good.