Basic human right!

PsyOps

Pixelated
It needs to be pointed out that, if a "basic human right" demands that right be provided for "free", then we need not look no further than the constitution:

1st Amendment: Government should be providing churches for free, buildings and machines for printing newspapers, buildings, cameras, and other broadcast equipment for tv and radio news stations. Free venues for people to gather and protest and free signs and means to petition.

2nd Amendment: Government should provide everyone all the firearms they need

While not specifically enumerated in the constitution, we have a "basic human right" to food. All food should be provided free. We have a "basic human right" to transportation. So all transportation - cars, trucks, semis, busses, metros, etc... should be provided free depending on each individual's needs.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of "basic human rights" that the government should give us.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
If everything is a "basic human right," then nothing is.

What's ironic is, Bernie and his ilk don't seem to realize how self-defeating his rhetoric is. I would argue that nearly everything is a "basic human right", as long as exercising that right doesn't result in harm to someone else. A right is something we can exercise without the government arbitrarily saying I can't exercise that right. We often talk about driving being a privilege. Well, it's not. I have a right to drive as long as I meet the requirements. Just because the government set stipulations on it, doesn't diminish the fact that it's a right. The government cannot arbitrarily refuse me to get a driver's license and buy a car. The government can't just arbitrarily tell me I can't go to a movie theater, walk down a sidewalk, buy whatever groceries I want, go fishing... The constitution placed limits on government from arbitrarily intruding into our lives.

But, never did our founders intend to identify rights with government providing them for free. We are "free" to exercise them at our own expense; whether that be monetarily, through effort, time, or breath. What particularly makes a "right" a right, is your freedom to not exercise it.

SamSpade

Well, what IS a basic human right, and what is the government's responsibility?

I do see things as life, food, air, water, clothing, shelter and so forth as basic human rights - but I don't ever see any responsibility that declares that it's the government's job to make sure everyone HAS them. As far as I know, it is the government's job to - with exceptions - ensure to you are not deprived of that right - by THEM. It is not the government's job to PROVIDE you with those things. It is not the government's job to feed, clothe and house you. I'd go so far as to say that love is a basic human right, but I guarantee the government isn't going to provide THAT.

I don't know what the left means when they declare something a "right" except to say they think it's something everyone should have, and depending on who is talking - have it free of charge from the government.