Bass fishing

jh4au

Where is the best place to go bass fishing around here? I don't mind traveling a little bit either.

CraneTaker77

gilbert run is okay. they aren't really too big on size though. and to get to good spots you gotta have a yak or canoe to get to them. I haven't been to St. Mary's lake yet, but I've heard it's really good. There is also Smallwood State Park in Charles County where they have the tournament every year. OR...you could just find a random pond and go fish. but be careful around here people use shot guns when ya trespass...:dead:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
My father bass fishes at St. Mary's Lake but does catch and release, he says the fish aren't amenable to eating (chemicals).

D

dems4me

I've gotten good size one's in Mattawoman creek and Bumpy Oak pond, both are near 210 side of southern maryland. At least Largemouths - havn't seen small mouths at either place.

foodcritic

Out of luck

Where is the best place to go bass fishing around here? I don't mind traveling a little bit either.

As a transplant from the north I can tell you your options are few. You won't find many ponds or lakes and the ponds are usually on private property. If you fish St Mary' lake you really need a little boat with trolling motor. I dont have a boat so taking my son along the bank is a real drag. If you have a boat the lake can be a great spot. I was just a a private pond last week and landed about 5 bass all about 1.5lbs. Very nice family let me fish it. My son finally caught a Bass so I think he may be "hooked"....

jh4au

I didn't really expect the bass fishing to be all that great around here. I'm from Alabama which is like heaven for bass fishing. I have never eaten a bass though. We used to catch and eat shellcracker, bluegill and catfish and thats it. Now you never know whats safe to eat so I just catch and release.

I didn't really expect the bass fishing to be all that great around here. I'm from Alabama which is like heaven for bass fishing. I have never eaten a bass though. We used to catch and eat shellcracker, bluegill and catfish and thats it. Now you never know whats safe to eat so I just catch and release.

I'm not much into bass fishing, but have caught a few at St Marys lake without a clue as to what I was doing. My son caught bass on two casts in a row there one morning. He cast up into the shallows with a surface plug and one hit it right away. He reeled it in and I said "bet you can't do that again". So he did!