Bass fishing

emt031985

I'm new to the area and I grew fishing large mouth. Where are the best spots for shore fishing until I get a boat or fishing kayak?

lovinmaryland

Hubby usually goes to Gilbert Run and has a lot of luck. I caught my first bass there not along ago 3 lbs I was so excited w/ myself :biggrin:

emt031985

I've fished at St. Marys lake 3 times and I had one good day. 4 bass. Where is Gilbert run? I have only seen 3 lakes down here but I don't know if the other ones are private.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
I always have fun and St Marys lake and end up catching something.. Gilbert run is on Rt. 6 heading towards LaPlata.. Either place you go be prepared to pay a fee to get in!!!
I've fished at St. Marys lake 3 times and I had one good day. 4 bass. Where is Gilbert run? I have only seen 3 lakes down here but I don't know if the other ones are private.

lovinmaryland

Do you fish of the shore? How many spots are there to fish off the shore.

We fished from the shore but they do rent boats. Gilbert Run is on Rt 6 towards La Plata. It is $5 to get in but if you park out of the park it is free. There are several good spots to fish from shore so you dont need to rent a boat unless you want too. They have a really nice playground as well so you can take the kids and they can fish and when they get board skip right on over to the playground.

There is also another lake in La Plata/ Charles County that Dh goes to but I gotta google it. They rent houses there also if you are interested in an overnight thing. He said the fishing there is great. One year the FLW tour came in town and that is where the guys left from.

lovinmaryland

Attachments

• P2da6kbi.jpg
    P2da6kbi.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P2da6nh8.jpg
    P2da6nh8.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 83
  • P2da67sk.jpg
    P2da67sk.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

emt031985

When you rent a boat. Do you need anything special? How much is it? That sounds like a good place. Are there any local large mouth tournaments.

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
Base??

You have access to the base?? Pax river... On foot that is some of the best fishing your gonna get around here.. I have never fished St. Marys on foot... some of the better fishing on that lake cant be done on foot..

Calvert Cliffs state park has a little tiny pond in it that is stocked with trout.. People are so focused on the trout the didnt notice how fat the bass were getting eating those trout.. I pulled two 3-5 pound bass out of there on foot...one day with about an hour of fishing..

You have kids?? There is a fishing tournament for kids this weekend... On a private farm pond.. Thats real fun...

Small Wood State park has lots of tournments held out of that place.. Big time ones... So if your a serious angler and think you can compete with the pros you have that option..

emt031985

Yes I work on base... I saw a pond with some Lilly pads in it.. I might try that. I didn't know calvert cliffs had a pond in there. I would mind fishing in some tournament but I would need a boat. How many spots are there on base?

LordStanley

I know nothing
Not everyone can fish on base... The non-tidal freshwater ponds can only be fished my Military or Civil Servants (and dependents).

Plus you have to apply for a special permit to fish on base. Which is on top of your MD freshwater license...

The Tidal creeks, Ponds, Patuxent River and Bay can be fished by anyone, but you still need the MD saltwater license and Base tidal permit.....

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
base..

There are like 5 ponds on base.. and they are full of bass.. but yes only active duty and civil service can fish fresh water ponds on base.. Oh yeah and retired military... the license is only like 5 bucks for base and well worth it.. If your a contractor on base get a buddy to buy you a guest pass.. for a day.. Only catch is they have to be with you while you fish..

The base license can be purchased on line now..

LordStanley

I know nothing
There are like 5 ponds on base.. and they are full of bass.. but yes only active duty and civil service can fish fresh water ponds on base.. Oh yeah and retired military... the license is only like 5 bucks for base and well worth it.. If your a contractor on base get a buddy to buy you a guest pass.. for a day.. Only catch is they have to be with you while you fish..

The base license can be purchased on line now..

10 bucks and they ask to catch and release.... As a contractor the only way to fish is to have a Mil or Civil Servant spouse sponsor you... A friend cant sponsor you.

Oh and the panfish are fiesty and fun to catch too

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
When you rent a boat. Do you need anything special? How much is it? That sounds like a good place. Are there any local large mouth tournaments.

Hey Dude, man up, some of the best fishing in the USA is right here.
Buy a boat, book a charter, do not waste time on a fish that only bites from boats that look lke Nascar wrecks. From the shore, go re-read Tom Sawyer one more time.

JMHO

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
10 bucks and they ask to catch and release.... As a contractor the only way to fish is to have a Mil or Civil Servant spouse sponsor you... A friend cant sponsor you.

Oh and the panfish are fiesty and fun to catch too

You sure about that... I have bought one day passes for my buds who are contractors on base... Of course the last time i did that was about two years ago... When you use to have to go to the MWR to get the base fishing license.. Now you have to go on line or to the automachine on base... Did they change that rule? :whistle: