Calvert Co. Bathroom remodel

MR47930

Looking for a contractor that can come in and tear out a tub/shower surround and install a new one. I plan on updating the vanity and flooring myself, just dont feel comfortable doing the tub. Any recommendations for someone who does good work?

UglyBear

Is the surround one of them single-piece thingies? Do you know if it's glued or screwed to backing board or the studs?
Was just going to suggest that doing the demolition yourself would save you at least 1/3 of the cost, and keep your house cleaner.

UglyBear

Also, do you need to remove the tub? I couldn't understand in the original message.

Not going to tell you what to do, just my own experience:
In prev. house, we had the original tub from the 1960, it was porcelain, and colored soft pink all the way through. Had some minor scratches and tiny chips in it. I wanted to replace it, cause it was "ugly".
My neighbor, house remodel mentor, shoved my face in it, and dared to find a single thing that was wrong with it expect for the color. I couldn't -- and removing it, and putting a new one in, would have cost... a lot.

We just hired some company (wife dealt with it -- don't remember the name) that re-coated it in very stinky epoxy -- looked like new. Was maybe $500? If not less.

MR47930

Is the surround one of them single-piece thingies? Do you know if it's glued or screwed to backing board or the studs?
Was just going to suggest that doing the demolition yourself would save you at least 1/3 of the cost, and keep your house cleaner.
It is a fiberglass surround, all 1 piece. Not sure if it’s nailed or screwed but I do know that it’s ugly. Trying to spruce the place up before we sell down the road.

wittykitty

Looking for a contractor that can come in and tear out a tub/shower surround and install a new one. I plan on updating the vanity and flooring myself, just dont feel comfortable doing the tub. Any recommendations for someone who does good work?
Parrans Flooring in Leonardtown.
I had my tub surround removed and a tile walk in shower put in it’s place with a guard in case it ever leaked. They did better than I hoped or expected. It was expensive but was worth it. All I had to do was clean up a little dust and touch up the paint on my trim that butts to the shower.

MR47930

Parrans Flooring in Leonardtown.
I had my tub surround removed and a tile walk in shower put in it’s place with a guard in case it ever leaked. They did better than I hoped or expected. It was expensive but was worth it. All I had to do was clean up a little dust and touch up the paint on my trim that butts to the shower.
Thanks I’ll look into them. This isn’t our master bath so we’re not trying to go all out, just want to get away from the late 90’s vibe that’s in there now.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You should remodel it with 1 of those European upgrades. Here's an example.