Bay poachers ruin it for everyone else

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I hope they get hit with the max fine. They should also confiscate the boat. I bet this is a common occurrence on Maryland waters. Fing greedy people.

Two men were charged on Saturday by a Maryland Natural Resources Police officer with poaching 35 striped bass while fishing from a boat off Kent Narrows. Alexis Gustavo Corrales Osorio, 24, of Davidsonville, and Elvis Jose Corrales Rodas, 35, of Alexandria, Va., were charged with fishing without a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing license, exceeding the daily limit, keeping undersized striped bass and possessing striped bass between midnight and 5 a.m.

dirt bags busted

H

Hodr

[...] possessing striped bass between midnight and 5 a.m.

What is the reasoning behind this charge? Is it against the law to fish at night (specifically for striped bass)?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What is the reasoning behind this charge? Is it against the law to fish at night (specifically for striped bass)?

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/striped-bass/

It is Illegal:

To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
To use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16 through May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
To cull striped bass.
To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
To use a gaff to land striped bass.
To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1 through May 31.
To intentionally snag a striped bass.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've been fishing late at night when people clear out because it's nearing midnight and they have fish they want to keep.

H

Hodr

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/striped-bass/

It is Illegal:

To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
To use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16 through May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
To cull striped bass.
To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
To use a gaff to land striped bass.
To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1 through May 31.
To intentionally snag a striped bass.

Ok, sure. The "reason" is that it's illegal. Thank you for stating the obvious. What I was actually after is an explanation of why this law exists. There must be some reason that having a striped bass in your possession while fishing during those hours is illegal.

Note it doesn't say fishing is illegal during those hours. It doesn't say possession of striped bass during those hours is illegal. It's possession of striped bass while fishing during those hours.

At a stretch I guess it might be to avoid confusion over which day you caught the fish, so you can't claim that you are not over the limit because you caught half of them the day before.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ok, sure. The "reason" is that it's illegal. Thank you for stating the obvious. What I was actually after is an explanation of why this law exists. There must be some reason that having a striped bass in your possession while fishing during those hours is illegal.

Note it doesn't say fishing is illegal during those hours. It doesn't say possession of striped bass during those hours is illegal. It's possession of striped bass while fishing during those hours.

At a stretch I guess it might be to avoid confusion over which day you caught the fish, so you can't claim that you are not over the limit because you caught half of them the day before.
Fish need to sleep.