Bbq

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I have a smoker and have used everything I can get my hands on just about. Mesquite, hickory, pecan, apple, and cherry. The other day I saw at the store wine barrel staves, has anyone tried these? I was curious, but didn't buy them.

Bustem' Down said:
I have a smoker and have used everything I can get my hands on just about. Mesquite, hickory, pecan, apple, and cherry. The other day I saw at the store wine barrel staves, has anyone tried these? I was curious, but didn't buy them.
No, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what type wood? You could always just soak some chunks of wood in wine instead of water. Or whiskey, but what a waste. :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
We used to get those for firewood when I lived in Fresno. They were oak, so they should be good for smoking.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
desertrat said:
No, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what type wood? You could always just soak some chunks of wood in wine instead of water. Or whiskey, but what a waste. :lmao:
They are oak barrels. I've never used oak either so I don't know what that tastes like.

Bustem' Down said:
They are oak barrels. I've never used oak either so I don't know what that tastes like.
Me neither, but now I think I'll try some hickory or mesquite soaked in whiskey.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bustem' Down said:
I've used Oak. It was alright, but I prefer Apple or Mesquite.

I would think the wine flavor in the Oak would add something interesting.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
MMDad said:
I've used Oak. It was alright, but I prefer Apple or Mesquite.

I would think the wine flavor in the Oak would add something interesting.
My favorites are apple and pecan, but all I can find around these parts is mesquite and hickory.