Be careful out there

Please be careful when driving, folks. I came across this fellow while driving yesterday...

t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
t4.jpg

He was still alive, so I reached out to Gentle Hands Wildlife Service. Dave was able to take him and check him out. Prognosis is not good, but he'll be going to a vet, and hopefully I'll hear back with good news.

The eastern box turtle is not endangered locally, but overall is "Vulnerable" (https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/eastern-box-turtle), and is in decline.

PLEASE keep an eye out when you're driving. And if you see a turtle, slow down and let it cross. Or, if you're especially nice; pull over, put on your hazards, and help it across the road (in the direction it's already going). Thanks!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've helped a few turtles get across the street here in the subdivision, carry them in the direction they were traveling.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
PSA...

I will do my best to avoid or assist road crossing creatures, but I do ask that those of you that stop and do so, DON'T DO IT ON WINDING ROADS OR PLACES WITH BLIND TURNS OR FAST TRAFFIC. YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.

Like the sweet natured but stupid woman that did so on a blind turn on South Sandgates Road the weekend before last.

If she'd stopped 10 feet sooner my brakes would not have prevented smashing into her roller skate.

Reactions: rio

Clem72

PSA...

I will do my best to avoid or assist road crossing creatures, but I do ask that those of you that stop and do so, DON'T DO IT ON WINDING ROADS OR PLACES WITH BLIND TURNS OR FAST TRAFFIC. YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.

Like the sweet natured but stupid woman that did so on a blind turn on South Sandgates Road the weekend before last.

If she'd stopped 10 feet sooner my brakes would not have prevented smashing into her roller skate.
I once saw a man get out of his car on a 4 lane (per side) highway to try and get a horse out of traffic. Went bad for the man, for his car, and for the horse.