Beautiful boating day

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We finally got the Chaparral back in the water today and it ran like a dream .... for 25 minutes. :doh: Seems like it is bad gas giving us the business, so we just cruised around at 11-15 knots for several hours just sightseeing and burning gas. Big plans to do it again next weekend too. I'm not going to pump out approximately 54 gallons of gas and try to dispose of it. *Bonus time with the LW sporting her newest bikini 🤯

kom526

It's my FILs boat and he is getting up in years so he has given us the keys, with a full tank of gas. 72 gals when we started yesterday afternoon. We did just some carb work done at Colton's Point and we replaced the fuel filter before we put it in the shop. 20 year old boat that has 94 hours on it. He is going to call down there today to find out if they can pump out the tank so we can get some fresh dock gas in it. I was heading down your way when it started acting up. 🤷 We'll put it over again this weekend and burn some more off, it was just good to it out on the water.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I worked at Ace, we couldn't keep this stuff on the shelf. If you're determined to run out what you have in the tank, I suggest you give it a try.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's my FILs boat and he is getting up in years so he has given us the keys, with a full tank of gas. 72 gals when we started yesterday afternoon. We did just some carb work done at Colton's Point and we replaced the fuel filter before we put it in the shop. 20 year old boat that has 94 hours on it. He is going to call down there today to find out if they can pump out the tank so we can get some fresh dock gas in it. I was heading down your way when it started acting up. 🤷 We'll put it over again this weekend and burn some more off, it was just good to it out on the water.
Could it be something as simple as a fouled plug? Maybe just swap them out?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
An old tank like that can really create problems, especially if it had ethanol fuel in it over the years. There should be a large spin-on water-separating filter mounted, yes? Racor makes a nice replacement element for the Merc and OMC filter housings that adds a clear drain bowl below the filter element. I use those on every one of my boats...you can see "what's coming" through the fuel line to the filter.

kom526

An old tank like that can really create problems, especially if it had ethanol fuel in it over the years. There should be a large spin-on water-separating filter mounted, yes? Racor makes a nice replacement element for the Merc and OMC filter housings that adds a clear drain bowl below the filter element. I use those on every one of my boats...you can see "what's coming" through the fuel line to the filter.
Yes to the large fuel separator/filter assembly. We replaced that filter right before we put it in the shop, hoping that was the quick fix. 5.7L 250hp Mercruiser.

Maybe? I'd have to talk to the mechanic and ask him. Like I said, it was running great at 3200-3500 rpm for 20-25 minutes then it started hiccuping. When it gets winterized this year I'll be taking some extra steps to prep it for storage.

With the water conditions we had yesterday when we were out, the boat was absolutely skating along as smooth as could be.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
it was running great at 3200-3500 rpm for 20-25 minutes then it started hiccuping.
That sounds like either a fouled plug, or something got dragged up from the tank, water, dirt... and not so much the fuel itself. If it ran for a half hour with no issue, doesn't sound like old fuel.

On a completely different tack..... did you check the prop? I had a prop foul and it acted very similar to your experience.

black dog

Free America

Yep, I know what you are thinking.
I would have dumped the fuel ( what 150 bucks?) and done a huge clean and flush with that, that gas problem could be worse than bio growing in diesel. Its not like burnishing diesel fuel.. Add Biobor and filter...
I would pull the fuel float and get a good look inside the tank and make a decision how I was going to go after that. If I see corrosion depending on tank material I might do a complete fuel system replacement. And after I would still carry a few spare sep/fuel cartridges on board. I watched Tucker Fowler years back go through this with his Judge 27 inboard from sitting...

Good Luck OP

kom526

There is one ding in the prop but I don't think it's enough to have caused the issue, I've seen worse and there was no vibration that I would associate with a badly dinged prop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep, I know what you are thinking.
I would have dumped the fuel ( what 150 bucks?) and done a huge clean and flush with that, that gas problem could be worse than bio growing in diesel. Its not like burnishing diesel fuel.. Add Biobor and filter...
I would pull the fuel float and get a good look inside the tank and make a decision how I was going to go after that. If I see corrosion depending on tank material I might do a complete fuel system replacement. And after I would still carry a few spare sep/fuel cartridges on board. I watched Tucker Fowler years back go through this with his Judge 27 inboard from sitting...

Good Luck OP

We build custom aluminum marine fuel tanks as a shop sideline....I see a constant parade of tanks that looked OK on the outside but were a total disaster internally..

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
There is one ding in the prop but I don't think it's enough to have caused the issue, I've seen worse and there was no vibration that I would associate with a badly dinged prop.
I meant something wrapped around it, fishing line, cord, seaweed... My props always had more than a few dings... :lol:

kom526

Pretty sure I'm going to replace the plugs and coil at the end of the season. We have a lot of cleaning to do since it spent 7 weeks outside (covers on) and a hull drain to unclog. I might hafta re think this boat ownership thing.

black dog

Free America
We build custom aluminum marine fuel tanks as a shop sideline....I see a constant parade of tanks that looked OK on the outside but were a total disaster internally..
Yes, I was always told that one should spend 10% of a boats worth annually on maintenance and upgrades, I'm not sure that I have ever done that but the more I think about that fuel I most likely would have done a complete replacement of the fuel system and the carb.
Dealing with ongoing problems and a few ruined days on the water will most likely cost more than a rip and replace. I wouldn't want to leave Buzzys and crap out in Fishing Bay 2 miles out of Nanticoke... Twice in a row.... Its a shitty feeling when you are by yourself docking, tired, going with the current and a few knots of wind in the same direction and the motor dumps... Had it happen in Coinjock with the 454.
#I'mnogoodatgelcoat
Good Luck OP...

kom526

Just got an update from the FIL (he is bound and determined to get this thing running). He took it back to the marina, they pumped out the gas and heard the T.O.W. (tale of woe). Filled it with 25 gals of fresh gas, and fired it up. Purred like a kitten. At the dock. Next up was a run out the creek and into St Clement's Bay. Once again, running like a top. Great! But then suddenly, VROOOooooomm. ... Silence. Restart, and get back at ... once again, the gentle sounds of the Potomac's briny waters gently caressing the smooth white hull and a muttered, "What the phuck?" Engine cranking noises break the quietness and more muttering from the mechanic.

A phone call is made and here comes a tow boat to the rescue! The slow trip through the narrow channel proceeds without incident and the stricken vessel ties up safely to the pier. Conversation regarding my experience yesterday and the mechanic's experience today leads the tech to a possible culprit, the game is afoot!

A couple of wires are pulled, some wrenches (probably vice grips to be honest) are turned and viola! A very used looking oil pressure sending unit is pulled away from the motor. The part is in terrible shape and it was said that we were lucky to not have needed a tow while gallivanting on ou rpart of the river. The replacement part will be installed tomorrow and we get to try it all again!