Beautiful Bride and Formals in Waldorf

jbooty

Back in February, I went there to get measured for a bridesmaid dress for my sister’s wedding. The measuring was done around my chest, stomach and hips. When the girl told me what size I’d need, I thought to myself “damn, the dresses must really run small”. But, I’m not exactly a dress person, so, I paid my deposit required and out the door I went. The next day, 5 other girls went there to get their measurements done. All of them were measured by the girl that had done my measurements, with the exception of one.

After taking 3 weeks longer then expected for the dresses to come in, they finally arrived. As soon as I took mine out of the bag, I just knew it would cost me an arm and a leg to have it altered. It was HUGE. Not just a little too big, but HUGE!!! I took it to Sandra, a friend that was doing alterations for us. I put the dress on for her and as soon as she saw me in it, she said “oh my god, this is terrible.. it’s huge.. like 3 sizes too huge.. I’m basically going to have to remake this whole dress for you”. Lovely!!! So the pinning started. It took about 2 hours for her to pin me up and the whole time she kept saying how she couldn’t believe how big the dress was and how they screwed up in measuring the way they did. Of course it’s better the dress be too big then too small, but it’s ridiculous for it to be 3 sizes too big.

Today, I picked the dress up from Sandra. And it looks great!! She said it took many, many hours to fix, and that the girls doing the measuring at the bridal store really needed more training on how to accurately measure. I asked her how much I owed her and she said $200. 200 freaking bucks!!! The dress cost me $180!!!!! My niece is 9, and the bridal store sized her to be in a junior’s 2!!! Hers was too big also, but not half as big as mine was. To have as much scrap dress left over as there was, you could have made a whole new dress or two. My older sister’s dress came in with a broken zipper. So, the day of the wedding, she’ll be pulling it over her head to get it on. Beings the dresses took 3 weeks longer then planned to come in, it’s not like the bridal store can do anything for us on this matter, especially with the wedding being less then 2 weeks away. With a friend of the family to do the alterations for us and cut us somewhat of a break, I couldn’t even imagine what we would have had to pay Beautiful Bride if they were the ones to do the alterations! They don’t deserve another penny from the bridal party and they sure as heck won’t ever get another penny from me.

I made a call today to Beautiful Bride and spoke with the manager, who was apologetic. In looking at my measurements, she said yes, I could have been put in a size smaller. I guess 1 size smaller would have saved me a little in the alterations but surely it wouldn’t have made a drastic difference with the hours of altering it needed. The manager said the girl that did our measurements is no longer there. Whether that is true or not, I don’t even care. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with the place anymore. And for anyone thinking of using Beautiful Bride and Formals in Waldorf, I’d really recommend using that place as a last resort.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Is this the same place that used to be located by Circuit City? There was a shop there that was TERRIBLE. Not sure if they closed or moved.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
I had a bad experience with them in 1998, the year the Washington Capitals went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Similar story, except I had the dress altered there and they did it wrong the first time and charged me to fix it because they said I had gained weight since the day before.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Don't even get me started with those people. I picked out my wedding dress in a magazine and went in to order it (they didn't stock it). The woman who took my measurements insisted on doing it with my clothes on (it was December). I told her that wasn't acceptable, I wanted my dress to fit correctly (I'd heard horror stories similar to yours), and made sure she did it the right way, and double checked the notations she made. My dress came in and I asked if I could come pick it up ASAP. They told me it was "too early" (my wedding was, if I recall correctly, about two months away). I told them to have my dress ready for pickup the next day, and I wouldn't be having any necessary alterations performed through their store. Luckily the dress fit like a glove, it didn't have zippers or buttons or anything, it laced up the back so I could get a perfect fit. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

jbooty

RoseRed said:
Is this the same place that used to be located by Circuit City? There was a shop there that was TERRIBLE. Not sure if they closed or moved.

They're a few stores down from Petsmart.. might be the same place..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jbooty said:
They're a few stores down from Petsmart.. might be the same place..

If it is the same "establishment", they were totally rude and the place was full of cigarette smoke. Years ago, when my sister was to be married, we went there and they refused to give us dress numbers and info, unless we ordered through them. We said bye-bye and went elsewhere.

I was very happy with the place in San Souci when I was going through my wedding. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
RoseRed said:
They just moved to that shopping center last year, over by Babies R Us I think. They used to be over by SFW.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
There's a great website I came across when I was planning mine that had thousands of gowns (designer and knock-offs) for wayyyyyy less than the stores ripped you off ... I mean ... sold them for. If you'd been to, say, Davids, and knew the dress number in THEIR catalog, you could pull up the knock-off gown from them for hundreds less than Davids.

I just found it ... Bridesave. Great deals on there for bridal and wedding party gowns. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
They just moved to that shopping center last year, over by Babies R Us I think. They used to be over by SFW.

Perhaps they have changed locations more than once? :shrug:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
Perhaps they have changed locations more than once? :shrug:
The one you're talking about isn't Beautiful Bride. I remember yours being quite the pooh hole. :lmao:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Nickel said:

Is it the one over off smallwood? If so, I remember when Tater was in a friend's wedding, the guys got their tuxes from them, and they screwed up all the sizes in there ... same situation -- all wayyyyyy too big. :boo:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
Is it the one over off smallwood? If so, I remember when Tater was in a friend's wedding, the guys got their tuxes from them, and they screwed up all the sizes in there ... same situation -- all wayyyyyy too big. :boo:
Crabby said Tater! :jameo: Crabby said Tater! :jameo:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Yup, they were there for a long time, but just moved.

Meanwhile, Bridesave has my dress for about $100 less.

jbooty

Nickel said:
Don't even get me started with those people. The woman who took my measurements insisted on doing it with my clothes on.....

I should have requested to be butt nekkid when i was measured because i could have easily put the damn skirt over my head with a winter jacket on!