Beef

Auntie Biache'

Just so I can start a new thread.

Is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder to find a decent steak? For a while, the grocery stores steaks were meh. Now it's even hard to find a good steak in a restaurant. I have to drive miles to a decent butcher, so I mostly buy ground beef these days.

Is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder to find a decent steak? For a while, the grocery stores steaks were meh. Now it's even hard to find a good steak in a restaurant. I have to drive miles to a decent butcher, so I mostly buy ground beef these days.
You can pick up farm raised beef at Keepin' It Local.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Try a different grade or cut. I'm a ribeye gal and it's almost impossible to not get a good one, but also get the best grade available. A Prime steak is going to be more expensive, but it's worth it.

Auntie Biache'

Try a different grade or cut. I'm a ribeye gal and it's almost impossible to not get a good one, but also get the best grade available. A Prime steak is going to be more expensive, but it's worth it.
Finding them is the problem. I couldn't believe how unremarkable my steak was last night (ribeye). I was hoping they'd have prime rib on the menu, but nooooooo.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Finding them is the problem. I couldn't believe how unremarkable my steak was last night (ribeye). I was hoping they'd have prime rib on the menu, but nooooooo.

I've gotten away from restaurant prime rib. It's always bland and mushy to me. And now that I think about it, you're right - it didn't used to be.

Do you suppose they've backed off on the seasoning or marinade because everybody has allergies and intolerances and whathaveyou these days?

I've gotten away from restaurant prime rib. It's always bland and mushy to me. And now that I think about it, you're right - it didn't used to be.

Do you suppose they've backed off on the seasoning or marinade because everybody has allergies and intolerances and whathaveyou these days?
It's mushy because many restaurants don't actually make a full prime rack and slice it to order. They buy and serve the pre-packaged blister pacs of prime rib which are terrible. Not many places have "real" prime rib anymore.

Auntie Biache'

I'm thinking maybe the beef isn't being aged long enough.

luvmygdaughters

I love a good steak!! Porterhouse, Tenderloin, Ribeye and even NY Strip. I've gotten steaks at restaurants and honestly, I prepare and cook them better myself. Now, I'm not saying I'm up there with McCormick & Schmidt, Mortons or Ruth Chris, but, a cast iron pan, olive oil, butter and kosher salt and coarse ground pepper do wonders for cooking a steak.

Grumpy

I was just talking about that last week. I haven't had a great steak or Prime Rib in a restaurant in quite a while. Last great steak I had at a restaurant was probably at Lewnes's or Harry Browne's in Annapolis. I've done my own which have turned out great but I do buy the prime cuts. There are so many franchise restaurants nowadays, competition has to be intense so maybe restaurants aren't buying the good cuts of meat. Contrary to probably a lot of folks opinions, I've had better luck buying good steaks at Giant rather than Nicks.

TCROW

Steaks at home, regardless of provenance and quality of said steak, can be improved markedly by doing some at-home aging in the fridge. You lose some moisture, so your effective cost per pound increases, but it is totally worth it. If you're into Alton Brown, he had an episode about this. Run it down for more information on technique. I'm a ribeye and porterhouse guy. Filets are impressive in terms of the tenderness of the cut, but it hardly tastes of beef to me.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I get all my beef local......butcher ages it to perfection.....custom cut.....life is good.....

TCROW

I get all my beef local......butcher ages it to perfection.....custom cut.....life is good.....

We still buy it on the hoof as well, but I need to split a whole with a neighbor since all of our kids except for the vegan have moved out and are on their own.

Auntie Biache'

I'm sure this will be good for MD, but I no longer live there. We have a nice butcher shop, but it's a bout an hour away. That said, my gripe is that it's no longer enjoyable to dine out. It's not worth the money, or the time.