Been charged to launch a kayak at Solomons?

glhs837

Power with Control
The ramp under the bridge. Not saying its wrong to charge, just curious, I've tossed my kayak in from there maybe 3times before, and nobody asked for anything. Tonight, about 6pm, as I pulled up, lady pulling out stops and asks where I'm going to put them in at, and points to the left of the ramp and says I cant put in there. I told her I know, and went about my business, tossing the yaks on the ground close to the water with my son while I went back to park the truck (kayaks were in the back of the truck, no trailer).

After parking, walk back down to my son, we each shoulder a kayak and walk towards the ramp. To my surprise, who approaches, clipboard in hand, but the same lady who had been driving out. She tells me to use the #1 ramp, and asks me to pay. $5 each for my two yaks. So I pay, and off we go. Great trip, sunset was awesome. Just wondering if kayaks are usually asked to pay, or if was just this lady? Did I slip through the cracks the previous times I launched there?

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
The ramp under the bridge. Not saying its wrong to charge, just curious, I've tossed my kayak in from there maybe 3times before, and nobody asked for anything. Tonight, about 6pm, as I pulled up, lady pulling out stops and asks where I'm going to put them in at, and points to the left of the ramp and says I cant put in there. I told her I know, and went about my business, tossing the yaks on the ground close to the water with my son while I went back to park the truck (kayaks were in the back of the truck, no trailer).

After parking, walk back down to my son, we each shoulder a kayak and walk towards the ramp. To my surprise, who approaches, clipboard in hand, but the same lady who had been driving out. She tells me to use the #1 ramp, and asks me to pay. $5 each for my two yaks. So I pay, and off we go. Great trip, sunset was awesome. Just wondering if kayaks are usually asked to pay, or if was just this lady? Did I slip through the cracks the previous times I launched there?

Technically it is a boat. And you did use their ramp. I personally feel you shouldn't have been charged. How long were you on the ramp? 2 minutes?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is one of those piss ant things that just burns may ass.

If we, the people, through our representatives, decide that we will dedicate a portion of the public property to put in a boat ramp then, we, the people, pay for it through the general funds. We, all of us.

This means the pols must be honest enough to say "We need to raise taxes and here's why..." instead of hiding yet another cost and function of government in some clip board, under some bridge at 6 pm when father and son simply want to put a couple little boats in the water.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, that's why I didnt balk, just paid the lady. They are boats, and there were two of them. Our impact was minimal, we walked down, hopped in, and in less than 1:30 from talking to her, were clear of the ramp. I dont like to spend any more time on the ramp way than needed, I'm afraid of getting run over by some overenthusiastic bas boat owner:)

What realy got is that she had locked the office, and was leaving, then went back around, and opened it back up just to charge me:) That's dedication:)

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE

If you park in the first parking lot on solomons island you can get your kayaks on to the beach there pretty easily and best of all its free!! Its right near the bridge and the sand is nice and soft... great place to launch...

glhs837

Power with Control
I know, but I try to stick to legal launches. Luckily my boats are so light, under 40lbs, that I can portage them pretty far. Next time I'll just use the Solomons Rec center Marina to launch. Darn it, been trying get out all day, but I dont think I'll find time, still have grocery shopping to do.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Was she also checking fishing licenses? Hell, if they are going to enforce a ramp fee they BETTER enforce licenses also. E

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
I think you should only have been charged $5 total if that. Do they charge a jet ski trailer that has two jet skis? No. It's one charge. If you were in seperate vehicles maybe but you were not. I paid the $3 at St. Mary's lake but I believe that's just a parking fee. No biggie.

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
I know, but I try to stick to legal launches. Luckily my boats are so light, under 40lbs, that I can portage them pretty far. Next time I'll just use the Solomons Rec center Marina to launch. Darn it, been trying get out all day, but I dont think I'll find time, still have grocery shopping to do.

Its illegal to launch from that beach? I didnt know that... the pirates of the patuxent paddling club launches from that beach every thurs.. all season long...

glhs837

Power with Control
I didn't mean that (illegal) , I meant I prefer launch ramps. Part of the run for me is getting from the ramp to the island. I kayak partially for fitness reasons, so my runs are mostly out and back. The run Solomons Rec center marina is a bit far for a 1/2 hour run. I might try the beach you mentioned and go farther around the island, maybe go check out that little triangle kinda island, see what it looks like close up:)

Google Maps