Beets

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
That's a long way to go for just beets, but if I'm in the area I will check.

I used to grow the golden beets and never knew there were white varieties. Good to know!

Thanks! Maybe the one in St. Leonard has them, too.

Someone had them at the farmers market at BAE the last time I was there. I think it may have been Porpoise creek farms.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Someone had them at the farmers market at BAE the last time I was there. I think it may have been Porpoise creek farms.

Thanks! Am planning on going there Saturday and will check them out. Gotta get some peaches from Trossbach's, plus a nice cantaloupe to have with prosciutto. :yum:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Chesapeake bounty up in north beach had gold beets. I love them. Good for your brain cells.

I put them in a crock pot, wrapped in aluminum foil with olive oil and s&P. delish.

Do you peel them first and how long do you cook them (low/high?)

Love our Chesapeake's Bounty! When did they have the gold beets? I think I missed them!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Do you peel them first and how long do you cook them (low/high?)

Love our Chesapeake's Bounty! When did they have the gold beets? I think I missed them!

Everything I read suggested you cook them first and rinse/ peel under cold water (preferably with rubber gloves on so your hands don't turn beet red!)
I would be interested in others experiences.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I love roasted beets with butter, salt & pepper! :yum:

I don't have a recipe off-hand for this - but my mom used ro make a beet salad like egg salad and added some cold beets. OR it might have been beets, with the mayo, etc. and she added the hard boiled eggs. But it was good! :jet:

nutz

Last week, I stopped at Chesapeake Bounty and picked up some fresh beets, came home and googled recipes. Having been an impulse buy, I had no idea what to do with them. Caught a greek salad recipe that I happened to have all the ingredients for (feta, Kalamata olives, cuke, avocado, red onion, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and olive oil) It was ok, I ate it, I probably went too heavy on the vinegar and oil as it was soggy.

I mixed the other half of the beets with cuke and red onion and a small amount of vinegar, salt and pepper.

Anyone want to share what you do with beets? Looking for suggestions since I bought more :lmao:

Peel and slice, place on stove and cover with vinegar (I prefer rice wine). Heat until desired degree of tenderness.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Everything I read suggested you cook them first and rinse/ peel under cold water (preferably with rubber gloves on so your hands don't turn beet red!)

The skin of the beet is pretty inedible, just like a sweet potato, so you can either peel them before cooking or after. I canned a LOT of beets in the day and would cook them until tender, let them cool, peel, slice, and can. If you are going to eat them right away, you can either peel first then cook them, or cook whole until tender, then peel. The exception to this is baby beets as the skins are quite tender and they do not need to be peeled.

And yes, definitely wear gloves! Unless you want bright pink hands for a few days or you get golden beets as they don't stain your hands. :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

If you're baking them no peeling is required. oil the skin, bake until tender and then the skin slips off like a baked potato.
Also look up Alton Browns beet recipes, he had quite a few that were good.